Cooking in your caravan
Stuck in a cooking rut? Why not spice up your caravan cuisine with these delicious recipes?
These recipes are brought to you in association with Campingaz.
Jamaican Jerk Aubergine
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp of allspice
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger
- 2 limes
- 60ml of tamari
- 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 medium serrano or habanero pepper, chopped
1. In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, ginger, the juice of one lime, tamari, maple syrup, coconut oil, spring onions, and serrano or habanero pepper.
2. Slice the aubergine into 3cm-thick steaks and generously brush both sides with the marinade.
3. Turn on your barbecue and lightly oil the cooking surface to prevent the aubergine from sticking. Once hot, add the aubergine and grill for 3-5 minutes each side until golden brown.
4. Serve with a slice of lime.
Barbecue Bread and Butter Pudding
- 8-10 slices of (thick) white bread, buttered and cut into chunks or triangles
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- 350ml of milk
- 50ml of double cream
- 2 large eggs (free range)
- 4 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 100g of golden raisins (or sultanas)
1. Turn on the burners on one side of your gas barbecue and pre-heat to 200°C.
2. Set a saucepan over a medium heat, add the milk, cream and sugar and mix together well. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, then set aside to cool.
3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Whisk in the cooled milk mixture.
4. Butter an ovenproof dish then add a layer of buttered bread and top with raisins, repeat until the dish is full.
5. Pour over the egg mixture and push the bread gently into the mixture so that it is completely immersed. Sprinkle the remaining raisins and grated nutmeg over the top of the pudding.
6. Place the dish over the indirect heat in your barbecue for around 35 minutes until the egg is cooked through and the pudding is golden on the top.
Barbecue Leg of Lamb
- Leg of lamb approx 2.5kg
- 1 handful of rosemary
- 1 handful of mint
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsb olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Turn on the burners on one side of your gas barbecue and pre-heat to 180 - 200°C.
2. Roughly chop the herbs and mix well with the rest of the rub ingredients in a bowl.
3. Score the fat all over the leg of lamb and place the lamb into a BBQ tray (this will collect the meat juices for gravy).
4. Massage the rub all over the meat.
5. Place the tray with the lamb on the opposite side to where you have the burners on, close the lid and cook for approximately 2 hours or until the centre of the meat reaches 65-70°C (for medium).
6. When cooked, remove from the barbecue, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
7. Use the juices that have collected in the tray to make a delicious gravy.
Your say – do you choose to stay on a site with a restaurant or bar?
Yes – we have three kids and having somewhere to eat close by makes life a lot easier – especially if one is being fussy!
For us, one of the nicest things about going away in the caravan is cooking outside on the barbecue. It doesn’t matter so much what we eat, it’s normally simple but we’re together and that’s the main thing.
Having a bar on site is a definite advantage, especially if it rains or it’s later in the season – we love going for a drink and catching up with old buddies.
To discover more recipes that are perfect when you are cooking on your caravan tours – and to enter monthly competitions with great prizes, make sure that you follow Campingaz on Instagram. Find them at @Campingaz_UK
To see the full range visit campingaz.com/uk
Campingaz Attitude 2go CV
Attitude 2go brings barbecue pleasures to all who want to stay flexible! This tabletop barbecue pairs sleek styling with pioneering precision cooking, all within a compact, portable package, perfect for cooking on trips and when at home. Intuitively designed for effortless barbecuing, it benefits from perfectly even heat distribution and operates with Campingaz CV Plus gas cartridges.