08/11/2018 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

No tents allowed at New Forest campsite

f7d4795d-fcc2-4eb6-a855-dc96ace7a0fe

A popular campsite in the New Forest is to remove all tent pitches and become a holiday village with only lodges.

Sandy Balls Holiday Village stopped taking touring bookings at the end of September and then immediately began contacting customers who had already booked to tell them their booking had been cancelled. Tent campers, motorhomers and caravanners were all affected. According to the site, just over 250 tenting and touring bookings from November 1, 2018, have been cancelled and refunded.

Away Resorts, which owns the site, was given planning permission in July to build 108 new holiday homes at a cost of £10 million.

CEO Carl Castledine said: "The £10 million investment in new accommodation at Sandy Balls Holiday Village is part of the amazing journey that we have embarked on since acquiring the park, to ensure that it remains at the forefront of providing world-class accommodation in the New Forest.

“All guests that had a tenting and touring booking with us have been offered a 10% discount at Shorefields Holiday Parks, and so far, 75 customers have taken up this option.”

The news comes as Woodland Waters Holiday park in Ancaster, Lincolnshire, announced that tents and trailer tents had been banned amid claims of anti-social behaviour - sparking an angry reaction on social media.

Campers said the decision was "tarring everyone with the same brush."

A statement on the site's website says: ‘There is now, from 1st September 2018, an amendment to our policy regarding what units are welcome on our site. Unfortunately, we will no longer be accepting tents or trailer tents onto our caravan site. Wrongly booked in units will not be accommodated and no refunds will be issued. Any bookings which have been made prior to this date will be honoured. We are very sorry for any disappointment that this may cause.’

Site manager Stuart Nunn told the Grantham Journal newspaper: “Our holiday park and fishing lakes are a growing business. As part of this growth, we have had to make conscious, calculated and at times, difficult decisions. The decision to no longer accept tents is based on our future plans for the site.”

News

08/11/2018 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

The Westminster Government has given the green light for an extension to the open season for campsites and holiday parks through the coming winter ...


Scotland’s National Park campsites and camping permit areas reopen

Scotland’s National Park Authority-run campsites and camping permit areas in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs ...


Highways England urges vehicle owners to do essential checks before travelling

Highways England is urging car, caravan and motorhome owners to carry out essential checks before travelling ...


Pre-book your Malvern show subscription offer for a FREE gift and three issues for £5!

Join us at The Malvern Motorhome & Campervan Sale between 14-16 August, 2020 and you'll be able to make the ...


Other News

Camping retailer Cotswold Outdoor has launched an online competition inviting entrants to design their dream camping pitch ...


Most Instagrammed UK locations named

Staycations are on the rise and Devon reigns as the most popular destination on the social media app ...


Pop-up camping event brings festival vibe to Somerset

Head to the Mendip Hills in August for a family-friendly, pop-up camping festival ...


VAT reduced for campsites, holiday parks, restaurants and attractions

The Chancellor has reduced VAT from 20% to just 5% on all campsites and holiday parks, as well as in other ...