Stolen caravan worth £30,000 recovered within 24 hours
The caravan was stolen in February along with three other caravans from Northamptonshire. The Tracker unit was activated as soon as the owner realised their caravan had been stolen.
Tracker, in partnership with Cambridgeshire Constabulary, quickly took action to find and recover in Cambridgeshire the very next day.
PC Dougie McColm, Road Policing Constable Officer from Cambridgeshire Constabulary, said; “We were contacted by Tracker who informed us that they had traced a caravan which had been stolen from Northamptonshire, in the Cambridgeshire area. Officers from Cambridgeshire Roads Policing Unit were dispatched and with the assistance of Tracker, a specific area to search was identified.
Upon our arrival to that area, the in-built Tracker readers in our vehicles soon identified the signal from the stolen caravan and it was subsequently located hidden away down a lane in Willingham, Cambridgeshire. The caravan was recovered undamaged and was soon reunited with its owner.”
Clive Wain, Head of Police Liaison for Tracker, commented: “Caravans are extremely lucrative for criminals and can be relatively easy to steal if they are not properly protected. Physical deterrents such as secure storage facilities, hitch locks, wheel clamps, alarm systems and deadbolts will reduce the chance of theft, but only a tracking device will improve the chance to locate and successfully recover your prized asset if criminals get past these barriers.”
Find out more about Tracker at: tracker.co.uk
Tracker’s Caravan Security Tips
- Be sure to security mark the caravan.
- Mark valuables and interior fitments inside the caravan with your postcode using an etching tool or engraver.
- Fit physical deterrents such as hitch locks, wheel clamps and deadlocks on doors to make it difficult for thieves.
- Remove all valuables from the caravan.
- Do not leave registration documents in the caravan as they can help thieves sell it on.
- Always close and lock doors and windows.
- When planning for the storage season, choose a site with good security rather than just a good price.
- Fit a Tracker device to increase the chance of recovery in the event of theft.
- Retro fit a unique Identification System to your caravan.