5 vehicle checks to do before the Easter weekend
With the busy Easter weekend ahead, Highways England is urging drivers to check their vehicles before leaving.
Simple mechanical checks can prevent commonplace breakdowns, the agency stresses. And, the last place you want to breakdown in your vehicle is on a busy A-road or motorway.
Here are the top five vehicle checks you can make before you set off for your Easter holiday:
- Fuel — Check you have enough fuel in your tank to get you to your campsite.
- Tyres — make sure they have enough tread and you've inflated them to the right pressure. You need 1.6 mm of tread all the way around each tyre.
- Engine oil — use your dipstick to check you have enough oil in your engine. If you don't, top it up with the right engine oil for your vehicle.
- Screen wash — As the old advertisement says 'You can't be optimistic if you have a misty optic'. Fill up your screen wash tank with water and wash. You need a clear view ahead on the road.
- Lights — Check all the external lights on your vehicle work. That includes headlights, fog lights, indicators, reversing and brake lights. You can fail your MOT if some lights aren't working.
It's not only the mechanical checks you need to make. Highways England also states you need to check you have the right licence and insurance to tow.
Check the load in your vehicle is secure so your journey is smooth and safe.
To ease busy roads over Easter, Highways England says 99% of motorways and major A-roads will be roadworks-free before Easter.
The agency will lift roadworks on motorways and major A-roads between 12.01 am on Thursday, 18th April and 12.01 am on Tuesday, 23rd April.
Watch how to check your tyre pressures below:
Find out more about vehicle checks on the Highways Agency website.