Caravan holidays – checklist before towing
A caravan holiday is a simple pleasure, but there's still a lot to think about to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as it can do, every time.
We simple humans are prone to forgetfulness, and that can lead to accidents. A simple checklist can save time and money, ensuring that nobody is hurt and nothing is damaged because you've made sure that all bases are covered.
Here’s a 16-point checklist to make sure you set off safe and secure every time you tow. Heading overseas? Make sure you take a look at our checklist for towing abroad, too.
Tech guru for Caravan magazine, Terry Owen, told us: "Some early caravans had a pre-towing checklist in the front window. I used mine religiously to good effect for many years. When I got my next caravan, I felt I knew the list so well that there was no need to put it on display.
"In a way I was right, but I hadn’t factored in what can happen when you get distracted or that the detail of the list can become a little hazy in time.
"So, yes, I’ve tried to drive away with the mover still engaged, a steady leg down, the hook-up cable connected, and so on…"
Use the checklist below so that you don't fall foul of missing the details that are all so easy to forget once you think you're ready to go!
1. All items are safely stowed (including the microwave plate … and wine!)
2. TV aerial or satellite dish retracted (where appropriate)
3. Windows and roof vents fully closed and locked
4. Secure contents of fridge and close/lock fridge door
5. Internal cargo (bikes/furniture) secured
6. Hook-up cable removed (post end first) and stowed
7. Gas cylinders turned off and secured
8. Jockey wheel raised and secured. All corner steadies retracted, and winder stowed
9. Coupling head fully engaged on the towball (green indicator visible)
10. Stabiliser engaged
11. Breakaway cable attached to towcar correctly
12. Tyres undamaged with no sign of deflation
13. Caravan mover disengaged (where appropriate)
14. Handbrake fully released
15. All road lights working
16. Entrance door secured and locked