Awning review: Vango Florence 420 Air Awning
Vango develops caravan air awnings with seasonal-pitching robustness
Words by John Sootheran
This spacious porch awning shows off everything that is great about British outdoor-leisure specialist, Vango.
The Glasgow-based outfit has spent years perfecting and tweaking its brilliant AirBeam technology, culminating in a range of new-for-2019 awnings that combine innovation, great looks, superb build quality and genuine ease-of-use.
The big advantage of this air awning
We selected the Florence 420 air awning, because, despite its impressive size, it goes from ‘car boot to kettle on’ in under 25 minutes!
Here at Caravan, we’ve celebrated the arrival of air awnings as a boon for weekends and short holidays but felt that poles could be the way to go for longer holidays and seasonal pitching.
Vango’s Florence 420 challenges that thinking by adopting extra-rigid SuperBeams and a brand-new, high-quality fabric called Sentinel TenCate, which is robust and resilient enough to cope with years of residential pitching.
Throw Vango’s new Draught Seal System into the mix and you have a superbly spacious and sturdy extension to your tourer, that’s ideal for day and night-time living because draughts have been totally eliminated.
Those who go the extra mile to get picturesque pitches will love Florence, too, as it boasts some of the biggest windows on the market. Vango calls it ‘Vista’ — five vast windows that deliver an IMAX-style, widescreen view from your pitch; and they let daylight flood in, too. Not only are they big, but they’re also tough, made from Diamond Pro material that’s 67% thicker than standard awnings for better insulation and strength.
To be honest, there’s almost too much to tell you about, so here are some highlights of this air awning:
- Smooth Curve Beams increase headroom and door height (192 cm)
- SkyLiners reduce the effects of condensation and provide a thermal barrier in cold weather
- SkyTrack II flexible-hanging system allows you to attach lighting, storage or SkyLiners inside
- Reflective webbing straps make pegging points visible in low-light
- Adjustable Pegging System allows the awning to be pitched perfectly on uneven surfaces
- The over-door covered entry provides sheltered access to your awning, preventing rain from dripping in
- Air Awnings come with foam draught-excluder pads, storm straps, bracer beams, a PVC draught skirt, wheel arch covers, steel rock pegs, a mallet, a double-action pump and easy-pack carry bag.
Florence is light, bright and tight. Its AirSpeed and AirBeam technologies guarantee a rapid build and almost eliminate any need for adjustment. A taut, professional look, that oozes quality, is easily achieved with the self-tensioning design.
If you’re seeking a top-notch awning for short or longer breaks, you’d be daft not to make a date with Florence.
Size 415 x 230-320 x 192 cm ( the lowest point)
Weight 38.5 kg
Material Polyester and PVA fibres
Visit vango.com for more details