Crows Nest Caravan Park
Set on the Yorkshire coast, with great sea views and fabulous sunsets, Crows Nest Caravan Park is just two miles from Filey and five miles from Scarborough.
Filey is a traditional Victorian seaside town with a five-mile stretch of award-winning beach. For a busier seaside resort head to Scarborough with its sandy beaches and medieval castle. There are also plenty of restaurants, bars and theatres here for your evening entertainment.
However, there are facilities on the park to keep the family busy. The heated indoor swimming pool, complete with waterslide, is open daily in high season. With a children’s play area near the camping field you don’t have to go far from your tent to keep the children happy.
Crows Nest has a programme of live family entertainment during the summer, with live bands, singers and a magician. It all takes place in the two bars; and it must be the only campsite to boast a guitar-shaped bar! When there are no shows on, you can still enjoy drinks in the family bar, where there are two pool tables and a big screen showing live sport.
The on-site supermarket is well-stocked and there’s also a fish and chip takeaway on-site that is open every day during the peak season, serving traditional British fare.
Other site facilities include showers, wet rooms, privacy cubicles, a disabled shower room and laundry.
A handy bus stop is located at the site entrance, with regular services between Scarborough and Filey running from March to October. The camping field has fabulous sea views overlooking Gristhorpe Bay and out towards Scarborough Castle. The scenery makes for a lovely view when you step out of your tent each morning.
Crows Nest is also dog-friendly, with a purpose-built dog park, where pets can be safely exercised off the lead. There’s also no extra charge for taking your pet on holiday with you. An added bonus of this site is the conservatory attached to the lounge bar – dogs are welcome in the conservatory so owners can still enjoy a drink and the live entertainment on offer.
Dog-friendly beaches in the area include Cayton Bay, Hunmanby Gap, Reighton Sands and Danes Dyke.
CROWS NEST CARAVAN PARK
Gristhorpe, Filey, North Yorkshire YO14 9PS
Open 1 March to 3 November
Cost From £25
NEED TO DO
- Scarborough Sea Life Centre takes you on a journey beneath the sea to introduce you to the creatures of the deep, or visit Alpamare Scarborough and enjoy breathtaking slides, outdoor pools or for a more relaxed experience, the new wellness spa..
- Peasholm Park in Scarborough is an oriental-themed park offering a beautiful system of streams and waterfalls, mini bridges and mystical gardens. In the summer months visitors can hire a boat to enjoy the water at close quarters.
- Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo boasts more than 100 rides and attractions including the UK’s only motorbike launch roller coaster, the free-falling Cliff Hanger and Kamali, the suspended looping rollercoaster. The zoo is home to exotic species including giraffes, lions, rhinoceros and tigers.
- Further afield, in Whitby, are the ruins of Whitby Abbey, part inspiration for Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
- The nearby towns have a good range of restaurants of all varieties. Florios in Scarborough is a lively and popular Italian restaurant, while the elegant Scarborough Tandoori is the longest established Indian in town.
- The Copper Horse is a cosy and welcoming pub-style restaurant with a theatrical theme, while the East Coast Kitchen brings an authentic American dining experience to the Yorkshire coast.
- In Filey, San Marcos serves a fine selection of pizza, pasta, meat, fish and vegetarian dishes and Inghams Fish Restaurant is a traditional fish and chips eaterie. Check out, too, the small but perfectly formed Monsoon Indian restaurant.