Fiat Ducato Fuel Filter Replacement

mikeymay

Has anyone had any experience with a leaking fuel filter on the ducato?

We experienced a significant leak just as we were about to board the channel tunnel carriage. Had just driven a good 250 miles, stopped to get some currency then turned on the engine and fuel started pouring out.

Thankfully the RAC managed to fix it (although no fault was found other than the top being on too tight) and we were away within the hour.

Mr RAC did say that the standard fitting is well known for failing for no reason and there is one that can be fitted that is more reliable.

Does anyone know what i need to ask for as I want to get it changed as soon as we get back to the UK.

It will leak again, if you are abroad try and pick up a spare. They almost always leak after a service as you need a special tool to tighten them.

A get you home fix is to connect a length of fuel pipe between the inlet and outlet hoses, with an in line filter in the middle.

I now carry a spare. There are loads of comments on this forum.

Billggski - 2015-08-08 4:13 PM

It will leak again, if you are abroad try and pick up a spare. They almost always leak after a service as you need a special tool to tighten them.

A get you home fix is to connect a length of fuel pipe between the inlet and outlet hoses, with an in line filter in the middle.

I now carry a spare. There are loads of comments on this forum.

Shouldn't need a spare if you change it for the latest type. WEhy are they messing about with it at a service, I think Nick said the filter is good thousands of miles(can't remember how many 75k I think) far more than most Motorhomes do in a lifetime.

Guest Peter James

You usually have to take the filter housing off to get a proper grip on it to unscrew the top so you can change the filter.

I'm wondering if the cracking is caused by putting the housing in the vice?

I always put the cap in the vice because it looks stronger than the housing, and then grip the housing by hand (wearing non slip gloves) to unscrew it.

I've just had a leak. I removed it, put it in a vice and took the top off using a rope with a rolling hitch. I then reassembled it wrapping PTFE plumbers tape round the threads using the same rope method to tighten it and voila job done.

The problem won't go away and it will inevitably leak at the most inconvenient time. The design fault is the difficulty of re tightening the housing once the filter has been changed. Either too much or too little.

Carrying a spare filter in a new housing is my option for peace of mind. I can guarantee if I carry a spare the original won't leak.

This is very interesting, I changed the filter with the same stupid plastic housing, it was a nightmare job, am I right in thinking an alternative metal housing to this can be retrofitted, or is the only option another complete plastic filter housing in the "it might happen" box ?

I had a look at this the other day and was hoping that the metal filter fitted to Euro 5 vehicles could be retro fitted. I had hoped that if the pipes could be manipulated to fit from the top instead of from the side and if we could fit the later clamp, this would be a good idea.

Not so.

While the pipes would just about be ok, the problem is that there is an electrical connector onto the top of the plastic units and while Euro 5's don't have this, a Euro 4 vehicle will be looking for whatever information this connection provides and would not be happy.

I will keep looking for a solution to this problem. Even for us; and we work on these vehicles every day...this is a successful job only about 60% of the time! That is not good enough.

euroserv - 2015-08-14 12:01 PM

could you not fit the new metal filter and leave the electrical plastic top connect up

I had a look at this the other day and was hoping that the metal filter fitted to Euro 5 vehicles could be retro fitted. I had hoped that if the pipes could be manipulated to fit from the top instead of from the side and if we could fit the later clamp, this would be a good idea.

Not so.

While the pipes would just about be ok, the problem is that there is an electrical connector onto the top of the plastic units and while Euro 5's don't have this, a Euro 4 vehicle will be looking for whatever information this connection provides and would not be happy.

I will keep looking for a solution to this problem. Even for us; and we work on these vehicles every day...this is a successful job only about 60% of the time! That is not good enough.

granddad - 2015-08-16 7:54 PM

euroserv - 2015-08-14 12:01 PM

could you not fit the new metal filter and leave the electrical plastic top connect up

Not so.

That depends on what information the connection is looking to collect from the filter top. I am not sure what it is for. I am looking into it.

hi i had the same trouble if you fit a non genuine filter the seal in the box is the wrong profile fram/mann etc are round and the fiat one is square hence the problem of it leaking mine happened in dover docks on the way to france 300 miles from home a nice AA man linked the pipe so we could carry on but 500 miles further on in the middle of france its leaked so bad into the gearbox bell housing the clutch started slipping and we had to limp home and have a new clutch fitted so in short make sure the seal is square and not round you can buy the seal on its own i now have 4 in the garage

Hi

I have replied to this problem in a previous post but here goes again. I had the problem which was 'fixed' by the dealer twice and twice it leaked again. The third time I took the filter off which is a simple task as the electrics are push on/off using the little catches they use and the pipes are the quick fit/release fittings. After taking the housing off I examined it and found the top loose on the body. After dismantle and cleaning I discovered that the plastic top had a strong friction on the threads so I put grease on the threads and then tightened the two. Have not had a problem since. I might add that I now carry a spare in the van. PTFE tape will probably do the same. It seems that vibration is the real cause of the problem. The filter is mounted in such a way that if you look at it with the engine ticking over you can see it vibrating. This, in my opinion loosens the threads over time, particularly if the recommended torque is used as that is not that tight. I made mine as tight as I could. Hope this helps. PS> If you have a leak on a journey try tightening the top by hand. It may still leak a little but might get you home.

Regards. Art

Guest Peter James
euroserv - 2015-08-17 12:12 PM

That depends on what information the connection is looking to collect from the filter top. I am not sure what it is for. I am looking into it.

There is a warning light on the dashboard (of my Citroen Relay) for 'water in diesel filter'

Guest Peter James
Arthur Brown - 2015-08-17 9:45 PM

Hi

I have replied to this problem in a previous post but here goes again. I had the problem which was 'fixed' by the dealer twice and twice it leaked again. The third time I took the filter off which is a simple task as the electrics are push on/off using the little catches they use and the pipes are the quick fit/release fittings. After taking the housing off I examined it and found the top loose on the body. After dismantle and cleaning I discovered that the plastic top had a strong friction on the threads so I put grease on the threads and then tightened the two. Have not had a problem since. I might add that I now carry a spare in the van. PTFE tape will probably do the same. It seems that vibration is the real cause of the problem. The filter is mounted in such a way that if you look at it with the engine ticking over you can see it vibrating. This, in my opinion loosens the threads over time, particularly if the recommended torque is used as that is not that tight. I made mine as tight as I could. Hope this helps. PS> If you have a leak on a journey try tightening the top by hand. It may still leak a little but might get you home.

Regards. Art

I think you have found the problem Arthur B-)

I put a bit of diesel on the threads and seal to lubricate them, and have had no problems

Arthur Brown - 2015-08-17 9:45 PM

Hi

Regards. Art

I'm wondering if all these leaks reported are the result of DIYers, or garages simply not using the correct tool, and the correct torque, holding a plastic housing in a vice, then attempting to tighten the lid without the special tool is very likely going to end in tears at some point or other, says he, fingers crossed after doing my own over a year ago :-(

But quite why the older metal screw in filter was abandoned is a mystery, a simple job now made into a difficult and costly one. >:-(

Removaltool.jpg.71575f6c386d163230cd1cffca3177c6.jpg

The reason is quite simple.

Vehicles built between 2002 and late 2004 had a metal screw on filter but it was screwed into an aluminium housing which contained whatever sensors are required and an electrical plug attached to the housing. The housing is very expensive to make so they decided to get UFi Filters to produce a filter housing that contained the sensor in the lid but also changed to a more 'green' filter cartridge. It really does not matter whether you have the proper tool for removing the lid because you have to hold it in a vice or something while you remove the lid anyway.

This is now a really big problem because the complete filter housing from Fiat is £208! We were able to buy the UFi item from motor factors until recently at about a quarter of that price but this is now not possible. It would seem that Ferrari's Piston Service (FPS) from whom the factors buy most of their bits and pieces was the sole UK importer of UFi and now they are not. I cannot get an answer as to who will be importing them now! I have sent emails and left messages with UFi in Italy and their only point of contact in the UK to no avail.

I have a couple of other projects on the go at the moment but as soon as i can i will be looking into the sensor situation and will come up with a workable procedure for removing the problem entirely and fitting a metal canister filter such as the one used on Euro 5 Ducato's.

Watch this space in a few days!

Nick

Guest Peter James
euroserv - 2015-08-18 5:51 PM

. It really does not matter whether you have the proper tool for removing the lid because you have to hold it in a vice or something while you remove the lid anyway.

Nick

I don't have the proper tool so may be mistaken, but looking at Joes picture there are 2 pieces - one for holding the housing and the other for holding the lid?

Archived