magic hosepipes

wardy

On the basis that we rarely need more than a few feet of hose and only very rarely a long length we carry two or three lengths all inter connectable with Hozelock connectors depending on where we are going.

A 15' and a 30' length are more than enough for France and Spain etc but in countries where water is less easy to come by an extra like Scandinavia an extra 30' length can be handy at times, so sorry, but we have never found the need to carry anything other than standard 5/8" garden hose and a wide selection of tap fittings.

LordThornber - 2014-12-07 3:40 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGIC-FLEXIBLE-EXPANDABLE-WEIGHT-NOZZLE/dp/B00IW58DN6

Is this what you're referring to? If so, there's the thick end of 150 reviews to peruse.

D

Martyn

We bought one of these a few months ago. We got a 75ft one to reach from tap in garden to front of house to clean motorhome and car and it does what it says on the tin, very lightweight. We paid a lot more than the one for sale on Amazon. They curl up quite small.

One thing to bear in mind is that tap water pressure when away is sometimes not as high as mains water pressure at home and any hose that has restrictions on diameter be it by convolutions or collapsability can restrict low pressure water flow to a serious degree, but as long as the sub is shining, nobody else is waiting and you have all the time in the world to empty the other tanks while you wait that aspect might not matter after all?

I tried one of the premium brand flat hose pipes a couple of years ago................the only thing premium about it was the price. :'(

I somehow suspect unless you can find one of these "magic" hose pipes made by Pirelli or the like I'd save your money, probably up there with Rolson drills, and other useless Chinese rubbish.

Purchased one of these in France, in October, seemed to work well. Our expensive to replace Whale flat hose having started to spring leaks. How long the new majic one lasts is not yet known. Off to Spain in Jan. So will find out, will report progress.

Should have said, cheap in France 12euro for short one.

Complaints about this type of hose have regularly referred to the fragility or poor quality of the plastic end-fittings.

Apparently the original “X-Hose” was a Canadian product that has been cheaply copied by other manufacturers. The latest ‘genuine’ version has a wider bore and brass end-fittings

https://www.xhosepro.ca/?mid=6099718

but it will be seen from the 1-star reviews here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Street-TV-Xhose-25ft/dp/B00KGC9NIC#customerReviews

that people have still being having problems.

David Dwight - 2014-12-14 6:02 PM

We inherited a nylon covered lightweight hose in a cassette from my Father in law, it must be in the region of 40 years old, the outer coating dries quickly, I think the internal is rubber section.

It works brilliantly it was made by Black and Decker. I wish they still made them.

But if they did chances are it would be made in China for several re-sellers at a pared down price and quality and brand labelled to suit each seller!

I'm not a betting man but the cynic in me suggests it would do well to last 4 years not 40!

PS I still have a 30 year old B&D drill operating in my vertical bench drill!

I thought he flat types were good at first, they certainly take up less space when stowed but when using them you have to unroll the entire hose and get the kinks out before it'll work. It would be easier just to have a few lengths of standard hose for particular situations. (e.g. a 6ft one when you can park right next to the tap)

Like David Dwight I also have an ancient lightweight Black & Decker ‘flat’ cassetted hose that (at least in my case) is 10 metres long. This does indeed need to be unrolled completely before it can be used, but ‘dekinking’ takes just a few moments if the water-pressure is reasonably high. I used to carry an ordinary 2-metre hose as well, but I don’t think I ever used it.

It’s simpler for me to park a motorhome within 10 metres of a water tap than to try to park it within 2 metres. The longer hose also allows me to park either side of a free-standing water-tap at, say, an ‘aire’, or park with the motorhome’s water-filler orifice on the opposite side of the vehicle to the tap. As I only need to refill the tank at worst every 3 days, I’d rather put up with the unrolling/rerolling constraints of the cassetted hose and benefit from its versatility and compactness.

wardy - 2014-12-21 11:06 AM

can you connect two hoses together and do they fit standard taps they have on sites :-)

In our experience there is no such thing as a standard tap, so we carry a wide variety of 'Hozelock' type 'snap on' connectors, couplings and tap fittings and have never been beaten yet!

There are snap on fittings that allow you to join up virtually any combination of hoses and taps and connectors and many of us use them because they are so quick and easy to connect and dis-connect anywhere in Europe.

Archived