Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Advice: Park home and holiday home insurance


When you buy a park home or holiday home, it's quite probable that, amid all of the excitement, insurance will be way down your list of priorities. Yet it's absolutely vital that you arrange insurance - and it's worth spending some time researching to find the right policy for your needs. Our guide will set you on the right track, with things to consider as you decide what cover you need, and details of policies offered by some of the specialist insurance companies out there. Specialist insurance is key to finding the cover most suitable for both park and holiday homes.

Guide contents

Park homes

A key point about park homes is their construction; they're made of very different material from bricks and mortar homes and, because of this, have to be repaired by specialist companies should any damage arise. That's a major reason why you need to be insured by a company that is fully conversant with the type of construction. The insurance needs for residential park homes are different from those for holiday homes and leisure lodges. A park home, being your main residence, is likely to contain more items of value than you would normally have in a holiday home.

Insurcance cover for carpets and spillages

(Photo courtesy of Oakgrove)

You need to think about cover for cycles in a shed or garage, for example. And food in your freezer; are you covered in the event of an electricity cut-out, for example? Check if you are covered for vermin damage. It's unlikely to happen but, if it does, it can be costly!

If you are planning to go abroad in the future - for example, for extended holidays (many retired people escape to sunnier climes for the British winter), make sure your insurance remains valid while you are away. Just as for bricks and mortar houses, some policies don't cover you if the home is unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days.

Does cover extend to balustrades and decking, fencing and gates? And steps and skirting? And are you covered for flooding?

Standard advice is to go for a new-for-old policy, so that, in the very unlikely event of your home sustaining damage beyond repair, it will be replaced. It's wise to go for alternative accommodation cover, too, so that you'll have somewhere to live while rectification or replacement is carried out.

Holiday homes and lodges

Insurcance cover for ballustrades and decking

(Photo courtesy of Oaklands Park)

Your holiday home is going to spend a lot of time unoccupied. Specialist insurance companies are aware of the need for cover for this and offer suitable policies.

Check that any exterior storage boxes you may have, for a barbecue and outdoor furniture, are covered - and also the contents. Some policies cover outdoor furniture only when the holiday home is occupied. Many specify that you must drain down your holiday home when it is not being used during the winter, to prevent frost damage.

If you are renting out your holiday home, check that the cover you buy includes this. Also check if the holiday home is covered if it is being used by relatives and friends on a non-rental basis.

If you have a hot tub on your decking, check that your insurance policy covers that, too.

The age of a holiday home is a big factor in insurance terms. Some companies cover holiday homes up to 20 years old; others less. And this may sound dramatic, but standard advice is to go for cover that includes removal of debris in the unlikely event of your holiday home being destroyed.

Insurance providers

• Caravan Guard and Leisuredays

We asked park and holiday home insurance specialist, Leisuredays, a division of Caravan Guard, for some pointers on how to get the best cover for your needs. "Park homes and holiday caravans are much more vulnerable to the unpredictable British weather than a typical residential property, so it pays to protect your pride and joy." You need to know what you need to insure - and insure against, Liz Harrison, PR and Communications Manager for Caravan Guard and Leisuredays, advises. "A specialist policy takes care of specific risks faced by residential or holiday park home owners. Specialist insurance will also cover outbuildings around your park or holiday home, so sheds, storage boxes, decking, or, in the case of park homes, even patios and garages."

Insurcance cover for ballustrades and decking

(Photo courtesy of Leisuredays)

Common claims include panel damage caused by heavy items blowing into static caravans, and sometimes park homes. And something else to consider, "Water leaks and burst pipes are common claims for park home owners," Liz tells us.

Accidental damage cover is valuable, "Everyday mishaps can result in hundreds of pounds of damage. From dropping a shampoo bottle onto a plastic shower tray to spilling red wine on your carpet. Make sure you opt for a policy with full accidental damage cover for your structure and contents." And had you thought of intruders of the small, four-legged variety? "As many caravan holiday homes are left empty over the winter months, they can become the perfect nesting ground for vermin".

Insurcance cover for ballustrades and decking

(Photo courtesy of Leisuredays)

It's best to insure for all eventualities, including something really major. If a park or holiday home is written off, a policy that embraces that cover will pay out enough to buy a replacement unit, as well as structures such as decking or sheds and contents. "In the case of park home insurance, this should be new-for-old cover to make sure you get brand-new replacements for your home and everything else." Liz says, "New-for-old cover is generally optional on static caravan insurance unless your park has made it compulsory. Remember that the cost of replacing a caravan or park home with new will vary from park to park due to location - so make sure your structure sum insured gives you enough to buy a new unit.

The alternative insurance cover to new-for-old available to static caravan owners is ‘market value'. Liz advises, "This means that, in the event of a total loss, if your sums insured are set correctly, you'll get a settlement equivalent to what it would cost to replace your caravan with an equivalent model of similar age on your holiday park, plus a settlement for your contents and structures, less depreciation for age, wear and tear.

Leisuredays website

• Shield Total Insurance

With 25 years under its belt, Shield Total Insurance was one of the first specialist providers of insurance for static caravans. Shield says, "We fully understand the unique requirements of holiday home owners so we are able to tailor our products to offer flexible cover options."

The structure, the contents and the plot are all subjects for cover. All the obvious eventualities you'd expect to be covered are catered for - damage from fire, storms, lightning strikes among them, plus cover for landslip and subsidence. In the unusual event of a holiday home or park home being totally destroyed, there's a huge cost of removal of the debris. Shield's policy provides cover for up to £10,000 for both debris removal and the resiting of a replacement unit.

A major subject for insurance providers is flooding. Shield tells us, "Many owners come to us with tales of being declined cover due to their park having a history of flooding. In most cases we can extend the offer of cover if the owner is willing to have a caravan floatation device installed."

Shield offers new-for-old cover for holiday homes up to 20 years old. Damage from falling trees is covered, together with impact damage from a vehicle. Fixed storage chests, balconies and outbuildings are also covered, as are patios and steps. A small but really important point is that Shield offers 'key cover'; £12 per year gets you insurance against loss, theft or breakage of keys to your holiday home. Shield also covers residential park homes and includes cover for damage from trees, storm and flooding, plus cover for freezer contents and computer equipment.

• Adrian Flux

Policies for holiday homes and park homes incorporate a 24-hour claims hotline with counselling support. Items covered include cycles. Adrian Flux offers discounts for alarms and security locks. Among topics covered by Adrian Flux policies for static caravans is cover if you are hiring out your holiday home. Adrian Flux new-for-old cover is available on units that are in their first few years. Agreed value is an option for units that are more than five years old. Options offered include cover for accidental damage, money and credit cards.

• Lifesure

Insurance cover for carpets and spillages

(Photo courtesy of Lifesure)

Specialist park home insurance broker, Lifesure, can provide flood cover to many park homes in even the UK's highest-risk flood areas, thanks to its adoption of the Flood Re scheme. Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. It aims to make the flood cover element of household insurance policies more affordable for those in high-risk areas. The Flood Re scheme enables insurance companies to offer cheaper policies to people who live in higher flood risk areas. The Flood Re scheme is used to partly cover the flood risks in home insurance policies, including park homes, and is managed by brokers and insurers.

Lifesure website

Alarm systems

And finally - what you can do yourself to protect your holiday home or lodge against a break-in while you're not there. Just as you may do at your home, you can fit an alarm system. A word of caution, though: make sure the park office has a key to your holiday home, to switch off the alarm if it's triggered by something random such as an insect flying past the PIR; it does happen!

Park & holiday home advice to your door!

Park & Holiday Home Magazine

Park & Holiday Home Inspiration magazine helping you find your ideal home

The printed Park & Holiday Home Inspiration magazine is a full colour, glossy magazine printed to the highest of specifications on enviromentally sound FSC-certified paper of the highest quality. You can choose from: single issues, special offers and annual subscriptions. Delivered directly to your door with additional specials included free, you can enjoy reading your magazine whenever and wherever you like.

Want to know more about Park & Holiday Home Inspiration magazine?

About the magazine

Back to "Holiday Homes" Category

01/01/2022 Share this story   Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

Follow our five-point plan for choosing your perfect holiday home ...

Buying a park home - advice and benefits

Rediscover the value of home with park home living ...

Victory Leisure Homes – the design experts

Discover a raft of ideas from Victory's design experts that enable you to put your own stamp on your holiday ...

Holiday park profile: Arrow Bank Country Holiday Park (Discover Parks)

A five-star holiday park with superb campsite facilities, Arrow Bank is set alongside the River Arrow in the ...

Other Articles

Pearl Lake has the best of everything… a wonderful countryside location, peace and quiet, fantastic leisure facilities and a warm and welcoming ...

Holiday park profile: Rockbridge Country Holiday Park (Discover Parks)

A perfect and peaceful escape for you and your touring caravan, motorhome or tent. An old-fashioned holiday ...

Quickmove Properties launches specialist park home resale service

Quickmove now supports vendors with the re-sale of pre-owned residential park homes ...

Holiday park profile: Oaklands Park

Close to the south Cornish coast, a quiet, quality park where a wide choice of holiday homes and lodges are ...