Heron Lakes - Green paradise
In addition, the site – with its four fishing lakes – has been hailed by Professor David Bellamy as one of the country’s greenest holiday spots. After a detailed audit of the park’s environmental policies, Professor Bellamy awarded it a special accolade for protecting and enhancing the natural world, described as the Green Olympics.
The park is the vision of the Bird family, local farmers who spent eight years on the research and planning of the project. The Birds’ aim was to achieve the co-existence of nature with a like-minded community of owners to benefit the environment – and, with four lakes on the site, to create a little piece of the Lake District in the heart of East Yorkshire.
It’s ideal for those who enjoy the great outdoors, with the countryside of the beautiful Yorkshire Wolds on the doorstep, and wonderful sandy beaches within easy reach.
Local facilities include golf, clay pigeon shooting and a wide range of watersports. And home owners and holidaymakers can spend their days exploring the charming local villages and enjoying great food in country inns and restaurants.
If you are thinking of buying, you could test the water by booking one of Heron Lakes’ ‘Luxury Lodge Getaways’ in a Deckhouse or Jasmine lodge, each with a large decking area and spectacular lakeside views.
Future plans for the park include a spectacular leisure complex, which will include a fitness suite.
Vacant plots are available for lodges up to 65ft long x 22ft wide.
• Local amenities: Shops, banks, supermarkets, post office etc, can be found in Beverley (3-4 miles).
• Health: The nearest GP’s surgery, dentist and pharmacy are at Leven (2 miles), with a wider choice, plus opticians, in Beverley. The nearest hospital with A&E is at Hull (8.5 miles).
• Transport: There is a station at Beverley for trains to Hull (and points onward), Bridlington and Scarborough. Hourly buses pass through Routh on the Hull-Hornsea route, via Leven.
• Eating & drinking: The nearest pub is the Nag’s Head at Routh, and there is also the New Inn at Tickton (1.25 miles) on the way to Beverley, and a couple of others in Leven, which also has a restaurant and a chippie. There’s a good choice of other eateries and takeaways in Beverley.
• Entertainment: The nearest cinemas and theatre are in Hull (10 miles). There is a leisure centre at Beverley.
WHAT CAN I DO AROUND HERE?
Spurn Head – If you enjoy truly wild places, this is one that will leave you breathless (and not just from the wind). The sand and shingle banks are now a nature reserve, and it is a beautiful spot for bird watching, sea fishing, or just a (very) bracing walk.
Real aeroplanes – Breighton Airfield, a World War II bomber base and Cold War missile site, is now home to a classic aircraft collection and a flying club whose members operate many unusual and classic aircraft. Admission by membership of the Museum Club.
Heron Lakes, Main Road, Routh, Beverley, East Yorkshire HU17 9SL. Tel: 0808 168 2040. Email: [email protected] Web: www.heron-lakes.co.uk
• Plot fee £2,600pa? Open all year
• Ground rent £2,600pa
• Age limit for lodges: 99 years
• Mains electricity and gas, billed quarterly by park
• No age restriction
• Pets permitted
• Cable TV and BT lines direct to each unit
• Holiday lodge rental available
This review was published in the June 2010 issue of Park & Holiday Homes. To order your copy please click here