Euro NCAP van crash-test results
Euro NCAP has crash-tested some of Europe’s best-selling business and family vans using criteria that are “more true-to-life” than the current legal tests.In an attempt to raise the safety standards of van-based vehicles, the safety organisation is calling on manufacturers to offer these vehicles with higher levels of safety equipment and for legislators to review their lenient legal safety requirements.
- In the tests, the Ford Transit Custom was the only vehicle to score five stars
- The Hyundai H1 (known as the i800 in the UK), scored three stars
- The Fiat Scudo also scored three stars
- The Renault Trafic scored two stars
Some of these vehicles are also rebadged and sold by other manufacturers.
- The Fiat Scudo is available as the Peugeot Expert and Citroën Jumpy
- The Renault Trafic also sells as the Vauxhall/Opel Vivaro and Nissan Primastar
Dr Michiel van Ratingen, Secretary General of Euro NCAP, said: “This time around Euro NCAP has focused on van variants that offer 8 to 9 seats... Being derived from commercial van platforms, these people-carriers are updated less regularly and are generally less equipped for safety than normal passenger cars.
“If you have a family with a lot of kids and are tempted to buy such a vehicle, please be aware that they often do not offer the latest state of the art in vehicle safety.”
Watch the testing now on Motorhome TV
Detailed results of the vehicles tested can be found on www.euroncap.com