Does camping make you happier?
Over 60 research studies reviewed by leading academics at Liverpool John Moores University and an online survey proved that those who camp are happier, have closer family relationships, are healthier, less stressed and are more socially connected.
Here are a few of the facts:
- 93% of campers say camping can make you happier
- 77% of campers are satisfied with their quality of life compared to 59% of non-campers
- 21% of campers feel stressed on an average day compared to 33% of non-campers
- 91% of all children say spending time exploring the outdoors with their parents makes them happy
- 80% of children who camp feel their parents are less stressed when they go camping and three-quarters say their parents shout less!
- Seven in 10 people agree that camping is accessible to everyone regardless of income
- 79% of kids who have never camped say they would like to
- One in three campers think that camping is a great way to lose weight
- 84% of campers think camping can make you healthier and nearly half think the pastime should be prescribed on the NHS
- 73% of adults suggest camping is something every child should experience and half say it should be on the national curriculum
‘Real Richness – The List’ is available to download here.