03/08/2012 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

DfT clarifies new motorhome construction regulations

The DfT (Department for Transport) has issued a new information sheet on the changes to construction requirements for motorhomes (termed motor caravans) that happened on April 29, 2012.

This is what they have to say:
Construction and Use, and Lighting Regulations
All motor caravans (also known as camper vans, motor homes, recreational vehicles) used on the road must comply with various rules about their construction. The two most pertinent regulations are listed in a document produced by the DfT: GB Road vehicle regulations. To summarise, the motor caravan must be safe, in that it must be well-engineered so that it is not likely to fall apart or otherwise cause danger to other road users.

In addition, from 29 April 2012 onwards, new motor caravans have been required to be approved. This means that a government agency will need to sanction the design of new motor caravans before sales can begin.

Existing motor caravans, already registered with the DVLA, are not affected by approval.

Likewise, conversions of registered panel vans into motor caravans are not affected by approval. However it remains the responsibility of the manufacturer/converter to produce a safe vehicle.

There seems to be a misconception circulating about a requirement for “crash tested” beds or seats. This is not the case. The rules on MOT testing (annual test) are not changing. Only the rules applicable to the construction of new vehicles are changing.

Obtaining approval
Most motor caravans will need to be type approved. ‘Type approval’ is obtained from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) and involves an assessment of certain aspects of the motor caravan design, inspection of a prototype and assessment of the production facility.

This must all take place before production starts.

Alternatively, motor caravans built or imported in low numbers can be assessed individually after they have been built or imported. This is done by the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA), under an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) inspection. In this scenario every single motor caravan produced must be taken to a VOSA test station and inspected.

The choice of whether to use type approval or IVA is for the manufacturer, and should be made based on expected production volumes, expected markets (UK or overseas), costs of the schemes and other factors.

For a vehicle subject to type approval, all seats intended to be occupied by a passenger when the vehicle is travelling on the road will need to be type approved, and this will apply to a seat which is capable of conversion into a bed. There are no requirements for testing a fixed bed nor seats which are not intended for use whilst the vehicle is travelling on the road. As such, these will not offer a safe travelling solution for vehicle occupants and we would advise against their use unless the vehicle is stationary.

Importing a motor caravan
Motor caravans imported into the UK and previously registered in Europe will be accepted onto the UK register by DVLA upon presentation of the foreign registration document and supporting documents. An MOT will be required.

Motor caravans imported into the UK from outside Europe (e.g. America) will require an IVA before registration, unless they are over 10 years old, in which case only an MOT is required.

If the vehicle is left hand drive, modifications to the headlamps (they should dip to the left) and speedometer (must read in both mph and km/h) will be necessary. Normally the headlamps should be changed for a pair suitable for the UK. (Black stickers are not acceptable). The speedometer can be changed for a UK-spec speedo, or adapted by addition of a home-made scale. A dealership or garage can do the work but you are advised to shop around.

More information
VCA and type approval - www.vca.gov.uk
VOSA and Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/iva
Trade Associations SMMT, VBRA and NCC supply advice to their members:

Further Information
If you require any further information regarding the content of this information sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

International Vehicle Standards, Department for Transport, Zone 1/33, Great Minster House, 33 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 4DR
Telephone: 020 7944 2091
Email: [email protected]

NOTE: The information above is a summary of DfT’s understanding of what the law requires. However, ultimately the interpretation of the law is a matter for the courts based on individual facts of any particular case. You are therefore advised to consult the relevant legislation and, if necessary, seek independent advice.

If you would like to purchase printed copies, Statutory Instruments are available to purchase from TSO:
The Stationery Office, TSO Orders/Post Cash Dept, PO Box 29, Norwich NR3 1GN
Tel: 0870 600 5522
online ordering: www.tso.co.uk/bookshop

Alternatively you can consult consolidated versions such as “The Encyclopaedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice” published by Sweet and Maxwell. Such publications are continually updated and are available in most city reference libraries.

EU Directives can be found at:
(The above lists all Directives pertaining to road and agricultural vehicles)
UN-ECE Regulations can be found at: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs.html

Paper copies of Directives can be ordered from TSO or from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA): Tel: +44 (0)117 952 4178 / 4143 or email to: [email protected]


03/08/2012 Share this story Share on Facebook icon Share on Twitter icon Share on Pinterest icon Share on Google Plus icon Share on Linked In icon Share via Email icon

Recent Updates

The Motorhome Awards 2023 and the Campervan Awards 2023 - run by MMM, What Motorhome and Campervan magazines - will be presented to the very best ...

Get prepared for the Norfolk Motorhome & Campervan Show

Do your research ahead of July's Norfolk Motorhome & Campervan Show with our fantastic magazine offers ...

Win a two-night stay at a Premier Parks campsite of your choice

Enter Premier Parks' latest social media competition and you could enjoy two nights at a quality campsite on ...

Campervan rental company, roadsurfer, launches in UK

German campervan and motorhome rental specialist, roadsurfer, has now entered the UK market with its first ...

Other News

Everyone is on the lookout for a bargain at the moment, and camping is no different. But which is the cheapest country in Europe to camp? And where ...

Outdoor specialist, Whitby & Co, expands portfolio

Outdoor specialist, Whitby & Co, will now distribute two German brands – Petromax and Feuerhand – to the UK ...

Forestry and Land Scotland calls for responsible access

Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) is urging visitors to be mindful of plants and wildlife in a bid to help ...

Hobby reveals 2023-season motorhomes and campervans

German manufacturer, Hobby, has revealed its 2023 line-up of motorhomes and campervans, which includes a mix ...