It is a known fact that motorhome fresh water tanks can become stale and need regular cleaning and maintenance to stop water tasting plasticky (a sign of stale water). German motorhome water filtration specialist, WM Aquatec, burst onto the scene a few short years ago with simple low-cost ways of improving the water quality with its Silverpad and water filters.
Now there is a new product, the Biolite, a UV disinfection unit specifically designed for motorhomes and caravans, available to retrofit. This device was granted the German Innovation Award in 2020 and is nominated for the German Sustainability Award Design section 2021.
The system switches on automatically when the water pump operates and uses UV-C LED technology.
As LEDs do not need to warm up (unlike older lighting technology), the power draw is low and the LEDs will operate for several years without the need for replacement. The Biolite can cope with a flow rate of up to eight litres per minute.
Water disinfection by means of UV-C radiation is a water treatment technology that has been successfully used for decades and is applied in the public drinking water supply, in medical areas and in industry. The water to be disinfected is irradiated with shortwave UV light in the range of 240-290 nanometers.
The genetic information contained in the DNA of the microorganisms adsorbs the energy of the UV-C radiation and is thereby destroyed.
- Suitable for submersible and pressure pumps (12V and 24V)
- Environmentally friendly: mercury-free and without harmful disinfection by-products
- Low energy consumption thanks to real-time operation
- Direct disinfection during water withdrawal
- Easy to integrate into existing systems
- Usable for more than 13 years (based on 365 hours per year average use) with an unlimited number of switching cycles
- No lamp change necessary
- Maintenance-free (with the annual cleaning of the clear water system)
- Safe operation: integrated monitoring of current and operation, temperature, service life, power supply monitoring and signalling (optical and acoustic)
- Ultracompact (13mm by 159mm by 105mm) and weighs only 0.9kg
- Includes connection material (electrical and water side – hose nozzle 9/10 mm and 12/13 mm; adapters can be ordered)
The Biolite retails for €499. For orders or information visit wm-aquatec.com