Swiss tax vignette over 3.5t

jupe

Our van is 400 so according to a web site just been looking at I will need a vignette routiere. clicked on to the link for this only to find all in french, my level definitely not up to this. So my question is dos anyone kknow how much the Swiss tax disc is for weightier motorhomes. While I'm at it, not that we travel on motorways much in France but is it going to be noticeably more expensive than a 350 weight van.

Cheers

Jupe

Hi there,

for over 3.5tonne, you can buy a pass for 10 days, or for longer periods. You need a pass for each day you are in Switzerland ( or driving the van).

The 10 day pass last year was cheaper than a car pass for a year and the 10 days can be used for individual days over the year.

We bought the pass at the border but needed to prove we were over 3.5tonnes with our logbook etc. It took about 5 mins

So last year we bought a 10 day pass, spent 3 days in Switzerland (filling the form in for each day there) and then 5 weeks later when we returned from Italy we used another 5 days and came home with 2 unexpired days we didn't use.

Sorry I don't use autoroutes in france , can now find dual carriageways to get just about anywhere and no longer in much of a rush

alan

see below taken from web site,, Pre paying for your vignettes saves time at border crossings before driving to Switzerland. The Swiss motorway vignettes are valid for multiple re-entries into Switzerland. The vignette is valid between 1st December of the previous year and 31st January of the following year (printed on the vignette). If taking a trailer or a caravan, you will need to purchase an extra vignette. The vignette is required for vehicles up to a total weight of 3,5 t ; if the total weight exceeds 3,5 t, the heavy goods vehicle tax has to be paid instead (payable in Switzerland only). Please note that the motorway vignette is non refundable. Valid for the year http://www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/produkttexte.php?passid=5

Building on and clarifying some of the other replies:

A vignette is required in Switzerland ONLY for motorways, but is valid ONLY for vehicles up to 3.5t.

Above 3.5t authority is required to use ANY roads in Switzerland, and paperwork must be bought and paid for at the border (there is no vignette or sticker to display in these circumstances).

Don't panic, under most circumstances it is neither overly-expensive nor difficult to sort out.

There would appear to be two different options on offer, though I was only offered one, but it was the most cost-effective for me.

i) As posted on another reply, you can buy 10 *separate* days of use at a fixed price. The paperwork must be updated with each individual day of road use, obviously before you set out. AFAIK, this system allows for you not to nominate days when you are not on the road (e.g. if you stay on site), and thus could cover a stay of more than 10 days, but as this was not the option I was offered, I can't vouch for that.

ii) You can buy a block of *consecutive* dates, at a price per day. There is a minimum price, which from memory equates to something like 7 or 8 days. This is the option I was offered.

Either of these options (unless a large number of days is specified on the second) will cost less than a vignette (since the vignette charge is for up to a years use).

The border offices are set up to efficiently issue paperwork, and take credit cards. I crossed into Switzerland from Chamonix/Argentires, which is not the busiest of roads, and the office was obvious. Tthe transaction took no more than a couple of minutes. Border crossings with a lot of HGVs (you are essentially being treated as an HGV) might be more busy.

Hope this helps.

A point worth mentioning if you are only transiting through Switzerland when you pay for your Vignette go into the office & pay by card, if you pay cash in Euro they give you change in Swiss Francs, I've still got 10F from when it happened to me about 5 years ago.

Query My vehicle is plated at 3.5 tonns. Is this over or under the vignette 3.5 tonn rating? I hope to pass through (or maybe stay a few days) sometime in the summer. Also does anyone have any up to date info for Austria, and is the 3.5 ton plating above or below go box requirements.

Tonyg3nwl

Plated at 3500kg.

Vignette in Switzerland if using motorway. (See www.vignette.ch and select english as your language.

Vignette in Austria for motorways and certain expressways. (See www.vignette.at and select english as your language (or 'sprache' as it say on home page)).

The rating is up to 3500kg in both Switzerland and Austria so you are in the lower category. Makes it a lot cheaper in Austria was 7.70€ for 10 days in 2008, probably works out dearer in Switzerland as you have to buy a 1 year vignette at 40fr.

Archived