Solar Panel

Mel B

Okay, who knows about solar panels then?

I've just bought an Alden 75w kit brand new for £300.00 off eBay, seemed a good price compared to what we saw at Peterborough and on the internet, should go nicely with our 2 110amp leisure batteries. Just got to arrange courier collection from Bournemouth! 8-) Fortunately, should be able to arrange this through work fairly cheaply. :-D

This is the maker's website: http://www.sailgb.com/p/alden_kiteco_solar_panel_kits/

The panel has a regulator - Alden 110, and cable ... just need to see what else we need now and how to fit it. As our Rimor has a control panel with a display for a solar panel we need to wire it into that - has anyone any ideas what we need to do next? I always leave the electrical stuff to hubby and he's not sure ... guess I'll be drilling the hole for the cable then! :D

Nooooooooo ... I like roughing it with the rest of the commoners m'lud! :$

Forgot to say, though, I got a 'voucher' off eBay, had to use it by tonight, so I got 10% off the price ... so it's only cost £270 for the kit! :-> That should nicely pay for the courier. :-D If not ... who lives near Bournemouth??? 8-) ;-)

When we decided to have a Solar Panel fitted to our Laika we asked a number of Companies to wire it into the onboard control panel, which is ready wired for one, none of them would do it, they all wanted to install a separate regulator/controller. We have yet to find out why they wouldn't do it.

Mel B - 2009-05-10 10:03 PM

Nooooooooo ... I like roughing it with the rest of the commoners m'lud! :$

Forgot to say, though, I got a 'voucher' off eBay, had to use it by tonight, so I got 10% off the price ... so it's only cost £270 for the kit! :-> That should nicely pay for the courier. :-D If not ... who lives near Bournemouth??? 8-) ;-)

me but i,m not coming up north, i,m with martin plug in or start your engine,much cheaper than the eco alternatives. :D

I would suggest that you wire the panel direct to the leisure batteries via the regulator and avoid connections to the Rimor control panel.

You will probably also need a waterproof box to get the wires into the van. These can be purchased from any electical supplier.

Hi JohnP - why is that please?

The Rimor's control panel is already meant to connect a solar panel to it, it monitors the panel and also can be used to turn it on and off as required. Is there an advantage in not doing this? :-S

Mel B - 2009-05-12 7:32 PM

Hi JohnP - why is that please?

The Rimor's control panel is already meant to connect a solar panel to it, it monitors the panel and also can be used to turn it on and off as required. Is there an advantage in not doing this? :-S

Our Laika's control panel is the same but as I stated earlier nobody, even Dave Newell, wouldn't do it. Still don't know why.

Generally speaking there are three reasons for using an independent regulator and wiring direct to the battery rather than through the inbuilt system.

1/ A third party installer cannot guarantee the on board equipment so will naturally prefer to use a dedicated regulator where a warranty can be given.

2/ Following on from answer 1, any future fault finding is easier if you don't have to take into account a potential on board system failure.

3/ As previously mentioned, it can help to minimise the cable run if you can go straight to the battery(ies) rather than using the built in wiring that can add several metres with the associated voltage drop.

Having said all the above we now have a supply of 80Watt panels from Sargent which can be plugged straight into their EC325 control system at competitive prices, ideal for new Auto Trails ;-) .

Many of the providers of on board control systems ,including Schaudt and Sargent say that wiring directly to the battery with a dedicated regulator instead of using their on board system WILL cause problems in their systems, you have been warned!

D.

On the other hand if you use the input intended for a solar panel on some systems you can monitor the "free" amps on your posh LCD display.

However both systems are equally efficient at charging. Some of the up market regulators include their own LCD display where amps can be monitored.

If you are heading south come and have a natter at Newbury.

Will be there from Thursday.

C.

A good solar panel will produce about 21 volts, this will prevent voltage loss along the cable, this is why the controller should be positioned as close to the battery as practically possible, & why I prefer to use the morningstar regulators, I use the sunsaver, this is encapsulated so it can be used in hazardous places, also its a series type with pulse modulating to full charge the battery & prevent sulfication of the battery plates.

OK the Rimor has a control panel, is it a voltage controller to reduce the solar panel voltage, or just to control turning it on or off & monitoring what the panel is giving off.

If it is a voltage regulator is the old fashioned type of shunt regulator & why isn't it positioned near to the battery.

maybe this is why they are avoiding connecting it to it

The type of voltage regulator (controller) is more important than the choice of panel. Positioning it is very important as the good ones not also monitor the battery’s voltage but also its temperature.

Avoid buying any kit with the regulator stuck to the panel, it will mess up any temperature compensator in the controller (if its good enough to have one) & you will lose power along the cable length.

Paul

Its arrived! :-D

It was still sealed in it's original box, complete with regulator, cable, waterproof thingy for putting on the roof to feed the cable through, sikaflex etc, etc. This is a link to the actual panel - the box has 'Pilote' on it so I suspect France is where it originally came from:

Alden solar panel

Its a good job we took some language classes as the instructions are all in French! :D We'll probably have a 'play' with it on Saturday to make sure it charges etc okay then see about fitting it. :-D

Mel B - 2009-05-14 7:34 PM

Its arrived! :-D

It was still sealed in it's original box, complete with regulator, cable, waterproof thingy for putting on the roof to feed the cable through, sikaflex etc, etc. This is a link to the actual panel - the box has 'Pilote' on it so I suspect France is where it originally came from:

Alden solar panel

Its a good job we took some language classes as the instructions are all in French! :D We'll probably have a 'play' with it on Saturday to make sure it charges etc okay then see about fitting it. :-D

Have a look at the Alden website, you might be able to download the instructions in English.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the panel fitted yesterday by a local motorhome dealers, £70 total cost, took 2.5 hours - they've done a very neat job too. It's wired into the regulator and also into the control panel so we can use that to turn it on and off, and read the output - today it was working a treat! :-D

We're off first thing tomorrow on our usual little jaunt - Craven Park carboot & market (Hull), Withernsea market & high street and beach, Hornsea ... beach again probably although may also 'hit' Freeport if we get their early afternoon. Then fish and chips for tea (yum! :D ), stop in the nice secluded car park near the boat store for the night, then off to Skirlington market and car boot (massive!) before having a nice drive home in the afternoon. Perfect! :->

Determined to make the most of the weather - should be interesting to see how well the panel performs, and also for us to get Midge out and about whilst we can. :-S

• 6 years later...

I am looking for solar panels to fit to my Burtsner i820.

The same question is holding me back from jumping in and making a purchase.

Do i go for a separate regulator or wire them direct to the ebox?

Will the monitor/control panel inside above the habitation door be able to monitor them?

Neil

Archived