Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

We were only planned to come to the Malvern show for a relaxing few days and meet up with a few forum friends on our way back after our holiday in Kent/Isle of Wight ... but oh dear it's been an expensive day as we've signed up for a 'new' van!!!! 8-)

It is an Autocruise Accent registered on 1 June 2012 (Fiat 2.3 130bhp Euro 5) with just 1000 miles on. It's the model we were drooling over at the Stratford show a short while back and there it was, just 'winking' at us on the showground, saying "come hither and buy me". It has the Comfort pack on it (air con, elec mirrorw/windows, cruise, fog lights etc) and they're fitting a second battery, bike rack, and moving our solar panel across. Its silver although I would have preferred a blue one but beggars can't be choosers!

To cut a long story short, we've got a VERY good PX on ours, the dealer is only about 70 miles away from us and the Swift factory (who own Autocruise) are just a mile down the road from where we live!

We get it a week on Wednesday so I need to clear out our Flash and put back all the 'original' bits and pieces ... the worst part of the 'swap' will be that I'll have to make new seat covers, not just for a half-dinette, but also for the rear settees as well!!!! *-)

We'll have to sort something out with our Gaslow bottle too, we have an 11kg and it won't fit in the locker, so we'll have to see if we can get a couple of 6kg ones instead. :-S

Accent review 1

Accent review 2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there was me thinking that an accent was what you lot North of The wash had - and now you do!

We have had a lot of vans over the years - but you are rapidly catching up - expensive innit!!

It should make interesting camping when you condense a quart into a pint pot and with the addition of three dogs it has all the makings of something out of a two Ronnies sketch - especially when it rains!

Good luck - may God bless her and all who sail in her!!

PS - How much do you want for the 11kg Gaslow as it will fit in our Cheyenne - although I remain to be convinced of either the benefits or the economics of it unless one camps abroad for more than the duration of the Calor capacity. But let's not hijack this thread with talk of Gas!

Mel B - 2012-08-18 11:26 PM

...We'll have to sort something out with our Gaslow bottle too, we have an 11kg and it won't fit in the locker, so we'll have to see if we can get a couple of 6kg ones instead. :-S

For what it's worth, I notice that a pair of 2ndhand 6kg Gaslow bottles, plus various bits & pieces, is currently being offered on e-bay (current bid £127).

Mel B - 2012-08-18 11:26 PM

We were only planned to come to the Malvern show for a relaxing few days and meet up with a few forum friends on our way back after our holiday in Kent/Isle of Wight ... but oh dear it's been an expensive day as we've signed up for a 'new' van!!!! 8-)

It is an Autocruise Accent registered on 1 June 2012 (Fiat 2.3 130bhp Euro 5) with just 1000 miles on. It's the model we were drooling over at the Stratford show a short while back and there it was, just 'winking' at us on the showground, saying "come hither and buy me". It has the Comfort pack on it (air con, elec mirrorw/windows, cruise, fog lights etc) and they're fitting a second battery, bike rack, and moving our solar panel across. Its silver although I would have preferred a blue one but beggars can't be choosers!

To cut a long story short, we've got a VERY good PX on ours, the dealer is only about 70 miles away from us and the Swift factory (who own Autocruise) are just a mile down the road from where we live!

We get it a week on Wednesday so I need to clear out our Flash and put back all the 'original' bits and pieces ... the worst part of the 'swap' will be that I'll have to make new seat covers, not just for a half-dinette, but also for the rear settees as well!!!! *-)

We'll have to sort something out with our Gaslow bottle too, we have an 11kg and it won't fit in the locker, so we'll have to see if we can get a couple of 6kg ones instead. :-S

Accent review 1

Accent review 2

Enjoy your van Mel. We have a Rhythm and decided to fit an under slung gas tank from Autogas2000 near Thirsk. Not cheap, about £700 , but we now use gas locker for storage. We downsized from a coach built so missed the storage space until we learned to be sensible with gear we took and make best use of all nooks and crannies. I sold my Gaslow gear on EBay.

Arthur

Ps I heard a whisper that swift may be fitting under slung gas tanks on some of their 2013 vans......

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-19 2:11 PM

Mel, does this mean you will no longer be a CLOWN?

There are acronyms that start with 'A' but we won't go there!

How about 'Dedicated Recreationalists Enjoying Accent Motivated European Rambling Speditions'?

Hi Maggy

Nothing 'wrong' as such with the Flash, it's is still a brilliant MH, however, we nearly downsized to a PVC when we got the Flash but at the time felt it was just a step too far for us, as we had a Rimor MH at 7.14m then and didn't think a PVC would be big enough for our needs. Also I really wanted at least a 3 ring hob and biggish fridge (we had a very large split fridge/freezer in the Rimor! The Flash at the time perfectly fitted our needs hence why we got it. Since we changed from the Rimor to the Flash we have found that we travel down even narrower and more bendy roads than before and, although we can get the Flash to places that others would have a fit just thinking about, it can be 'interesting' at times!

We saw the Accent at the Stratford Show in June and were very taken with it, but as it was the first time we'd seen it and we needed to think very carefully about whether a PVC would be suitable we didn't pursue it then.

However on our latest holiday in Kent/Isle of Wight we had to go down lots of 6'6" roads (lots of them on the Isle of Wight are marked as such so you don't have much choice otherwise you don't go anywhere!). As the Flash is quite chubby at 2.3m wide it made it tricky at times on some of the even narrower roads so it has really confirmed that as that's the sort of places we like to travel a narrower coachbuilt MH or PVC makes more sense for us, and will be more relaxed to drive especially when you get some idiots driving like lunatics in the opposite direction, and that a PVC especially could be more easily used for other things - like just tootling around at home for shopping, going to the tip etc - also we are considering again the option of not having a car at all as it did less than 2000 miles in the last year, and now I've left work that will only lessen.

The Accent is a similar layout to the Flash which is why we like it so much as we know that it will work for us, but having the lounge at the rear instead of a fixed bed makes it more versatile - we had considered the purely fixed bed versions before but weren't totally convinced that basically changing from the Flash to a PVC with the same layout just to make it a bit narrower was the right one. The Accent with the rear lounge option though will give us something we've missed since we sold our ambulance conversion - being able to sit with the rear doors wide open, watching the world go by, and chilling! You just don't get the same feeling in a coachbuilt.

As the Accent is 25cm narrower than the Flash something has to 'give' but there is still a lot of storage and cubby holes/areas that can be utilised so we don't feel that we're loosing too much and we could do to 'lose' some of the stuff we carry around with us anyway ... we always take more shoes and clothes than we would expect to wear, and food stuff, so it can just get rationalised a bit more.

We are having to make other compromises too: the fridge is a bit smaller (80L instead of 90L); it has a 2 ring hob rather than 3 (as I now use a pressure cooker rather than separate pans for veg, and hubby is using the BBQ more, there isn't the need for 3 so much (I do have a small gas stove which we always carry with us anyway so if I get really desparate I could use that!); the kitchen tap is within the sink under the cover which isn't ideal but in the Flash I don't access the kitchen sink anyway as I keep the cover down and use it as worktop and instead use the washroom sink/tap as an extension of the kitchen area, therefore I'll just continue to do this; the Accent's washroom is smaller but we don't take showers every day so that's not an issue either. The fresh water tank is smaller and is located underneath the van, but it is insulated and there is space under the dinette seat for an extra container to be plumbed in if we want as we are unlikely to need to use that space for storage, so if necessary I could make it so that we can isolate the external fresh water tank and just use the internal one for winter camping. The waste tank is smaller but we empty that regularly anyway so not an issue. It does have a Smev grill (same as the Flash) so at least I'll stil hlave a store for my frying pans!!! :D

Tracker - 2012-08-19 5:38 PM

onecal - 2012-08-19 5:08 PM

Many happy years in the new one

Or at least until the next whim gets you back in a proper coachbuilt motorhome!

Cheeky! :D

If we can 'cope' in this PVC, then I can't honestly see how we'll ever go back to having a coachbuilt again - to us size does matter, and the smaller (within reason) the better! :$ I loved the 5.53m Rapido we had but we outgrew it then as the fixed bed compromised the rest of the vehicle - I got to the point where I hated the kitchen with it being directly opposite the lounge as it was very tight so everytime I wanted to be in the fridge it was a struggle and having to move out of the way to let hubby in/out to the dinette was an absolute pain - the kitchen itself was extremely small with absolutely so much so that the 2 ring hob was mounted sideways with one ring at the back, and one at the front - not the easiest thing in the world to use - and no worktop whatsoever! Even though we're going smaller again, with the kitchen being just that bit further away from the front dinette so that access to/from it isn't impeded, and the experience of using a similar layout in our previous MHs, I know it will work for us.

There is one 'major' problem though! Currently our 2 little monsters, Lily and Tazzy sleep at the foot of our bed as its so long and it keeps them happy so they don't start to potter and squeak in the night and also means that Romy the heffalump can sprawl out in the large dog bed on her own. The bed in the Accent, whilst being 2 inches wider with no 'cut-off', is about 8 inches shorter ... any tips on how to 'tell' then little ones that they'll have to be 'evicted'!!!! 8-) I've got a feeling that somehow that's a battle we'll lose and they'll end up snuggled in each of the bottom corners!!! *-)

The good news though - miracles of miracles ... it has a spare wheel!!!!! :-> Anyone want to buy a spare wheel (215/75/16 unused) for their Ford? We'll also have to get some new headlight protectors which means that the Ford ones will be up for grabs along with the driver and passenger door wind deflectors. There are so many things to think about / to sort out!!!

:D

Tracker - 2012-08-18 11:36 PM

And there was me thinking that an accent was what you lot North of The wash had - and now you do!

We have had a lot of vans over the years - but you are rapidly catching up - expensive innit!!

It should make interesting camping when you condense a quart into a pint pot and with the addition of three dogs it has all the makings of something out of a two Ronnies sketch - especially when it rains!

Good luck - may God bless her and all who sail in her!!

PS - How much do you want for the 11kg Gaslow as it will fit in our Cheyenne - although I remain to be convinced of either the benefits or the economics of it unless one camps abroad for more than the duration of the Calor capacity. But let's not hijack this thread with talk of Gas!

Still cogitating over the Gaslow - a fixed gas tank was another option we were contemplating we're not going down that road at the moment due to the cost of it, but the locker itself seems to be large enough for the 11kg bottle, its just a matter of how to get it into it ... either removing the door frame surround which might give the extra few mm that are needed, or removing the seat base and the metal locker top (only siliconed on), plopping the bottle in (may have to get the regulator moved across slightly) and then sealing the metal top on and screwing the seat base back down. I think we'll have to wait until we get it and see how we get on first (I did notice an 11kg bottle for sale on the Caravan Club classifieds if you want to have a shuftie - I'll PM you with details).

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-19 2:11 PM

Mel, does this mean you will no longer be a CLOWN?

Not only that, I'll reluctantly have to remove you from the Role of Honour of DAFTIES (Remember? Devotees and Afficionados of Ford Transits iIn Every Shape!). Fancy going for a Fiat!!!

Seriously, wish you many happy miles.

We've already got the headlamp protectors (at least for when we're abroad - with "benders" permanently fitted) but interested in those cab door thingys if they'll parcel up (not coming up your way in the near future, but you're welcome to try out your new van down here!).

PM me and we'll haggle.

Hi Mel

We downsized to an Accent from a Roller Team 694 just over a year ago for all the same reasons as you.

There is more space underneath those back seats than you imagine and with care and thought you can get loads in - on a recent trip to France and Spain I found that with a bit more thinking I could indeed get more alcohol in!

I think you might find though that you are a smidgen over 6ft6ins though and you may hit the Swift/Autocruise build quality issues.

Enjoy the van though

Dave

Hi Mel

re the fridge size. I found taking a 12v cool box with us, it frees the fridge for meat/dairy, and keeps the fruit and salad some drinks cool. Find just pugging in during the day keeps it cool enough, and at night we put it up the front between the seats

PJay

Thanks Mel :-D well you certainly have well thought it out and sound well organised, and I know what you mean about all the stuff we take that isn't necessary, and with a smaller Van trips out shopping will be easy much the same as with a car. I would miss my cooker though as we aren't barbecue people to be honest I dont think O.H likes them as he might be expected to use it !!

Good luck with your new Van and many happy trips in it and now you have no excuse being a Lady of leisure

:-D

PJay - 2012-08-20 3:39 PM

Hi Mel

re the fridge size. I found taking a 12v cool box with us, it frees the fridge for meat/dairy, and keeps the fruit and salad some drinks cool. Find just pugging in during the day keeps it cool enough, and at night we put it up the front between the seats

PJay

Might try a normal cool box/bag (ie using ice blocks) - its usually the salad/veg which takes up the space and it does deterior in the heat quite quickly. To be honest though I don't think it will be a major issue as we've just come back off a 2-week holiday and brought most of the stuff we put in the freezer back with us plus a few bits and pieces we bought whilst away.

gdf - 2012-08-20 2:04 PM

Hi Mel

We downsized to an Accent from a Roller Team 694 just over a year ago for all the same reasons as you.

There is more space underneath those back seats than you imagine and with care and thought you can get loads in - on a recent trip to France and Spain I found that with a bit more thinking I could indeed get more alcohol in!

I think you might find though that you are a smidgen over 6ft6ins though and you may hit the Swift/Autocruise build quality issues.

Enjoy the van though

Dave

Yes - loads of storage space which at first glance you wouldn't think was there at all! I've already got plans for some additional storage cubbys etc too, for example at the inside top of the rear doors would be an ideal place for some magazine nets and/or small storage baskets/bins. I also like secret 'hidden' area behind the waste bin (oops not a secret now! :D ).

I'd be interested to hear of the build issue problems - I'm aware of the tap pipes possibly leaking and causing flooding due to the connectors not being secured properly and coming loose due to vibration (something I'll check when I get it). Is there anything else I should check for?

Whilst I'm at it, do you know what the mottled black carpeted 'tray' is for? About 15 inches x 24 inches with a timber lip round 3 sides? No-one seems to know!!! 8-)

Derek Uzzell - 2012-08-19 8:38 AM

For what it's worth, I notice that a pair of 2ndhand 6kg Gaslow bottles, plus various bits & pieces, is currently being offered on e-bay (current bid £127).

Thanks Derek - I'll keep my eye on them.

Mel B - 2012-08-20 10:52 PM

...Whilst I'm at it, do you know what the mottled black carpeted 'tray' is for? About 15 inches x 24 inches with a timber lip round 3 sides? No-one seems to know!!! 8-)

I'd guess it's something someone has knocked up to sit on the floor in the bathroom in front of the toilet pedestal. Your description suggests it's a DIY effort.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-08-21 9:46 AM

...Whilst I'm at it, do you know what the mottled black carpeted 'tray' is for? About 15 inches x 24 inches with a timber lip round 3 sides? No-one seems to know!!! 8-)

I'd guess it's something someone has knocked up to sit on the floor in the bathroom in front of the toilet pedestal. Your description suggests it's a DIY effort.

Good guess, but it is a standard issue as we've seen it in other Autocruise vans and other owners don't know what to do with theirs!

I'd be interested to hear of the build issue problems - I'm aware of the tap pipes possibly leaking and causing flooding due to the connectors not being secured properly and coming loose due to vibration (something I'll check when I get it). Is there anything else I should check for?

8-)

I have a 2010 Autocruise Rhythm Mel and we had lots of mainly minor build quality issues but our dealer was the one who created more problems than they solved eg took out EXPENSIVE AGM leisure battery and put in a CHEAP sealed lead acid...........so check you've got correct battery.

Water leaks you are aware of and I believe the Accent in particular suffered leaks due to crocodile clips on kitchen tap pigtails being too tight and cracking them (or too loose and came adrift....!) Solved now I understand. Problem aggravated when oven was on apparently.....something to do with more ventilation needed.....again solved I understand

Check glass lid over sink. Some numpty hadn't tightened the plastic retaining screws on ours and it flew off in transit - no damage or injury!

Bed legs - ours has adjustable ones with plastic inserts into metal upright. These plastic inserts are weak and fail though I believe they've been beefed up (I did a DIY strengthening which has solved our issue)

Build quality and quality control could be better but Swift service has been excellent. Technical queries are responded to quickly on http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/ and I recommend you register and trawl through the motorhome sections.

Our previous van was an Adria. The build quality was better but after sales (dealer and Adria) was APPALLING so Swift is not so bad?

Enjoy your van. We love ours now that these issues have been resolved

Arthur

Archived