New coastal car park in Kent needs your input

Duncan MMM

Canterbury City Council is in the process of designing a new coastal car park, based on the old Camping and Caravan Club site at Reculver Park, with dedicated Motorhome facilities. The Council already has a few Motorhome friendly sites but would like the views of the forum users. Rather than provide what they think you would like, the Council would like to give you an opportunity to get involved at the design stage.

As a rough overview the site will be at Reculver in Kent, right on the coast with easy access to award winning beaches and great coastal walking/cycle paths. The Council has created a new parking area with around 20 motorhome spaces. They've already sketched in a grey/black water dump and chevroned parking bays which are easier to access than traditional right angle bays. Height barriers are not being added to this area but instead the Council is including wide turning circles and a fresh water supply. The question from Colin Perris at Canterbury Council is: "Are we getting this right and how should we deliver the water?...via standpipe. Or should we include an electricity hookup in a tariff controlled unit...and if can anyone help with a description of a good one it would be appreciated."

You can discover more details at https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/reculverpark Please post your responses below for Colin to read.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-05-27 12:49 PM

Do more than that - fill in their survey and give them your support and encouragement!

Of course I did Rich ;-) ...............maybe I should suggest classic campers should be allow to pitch free :D .........

pelmetman - 2015-05-27 1:05 PM

Tracker - 2015-05-27 12:49 PM

Do more than that - fill in their survey and give them your support and encouragement!

Of course I did Rich ;-) ...............maybe I should suggest classic campers should be allow to pitch free :D .........

My apologies Dave - I didn't mean that to sound abrasive or critical.

But only classic campers that do not leave a pool of oil / anti freeze / brake fluid / diesel when they leave should be free with all others paying an 'environmental' surcharge!

500 + views and as far as I can see only Richard, Dave and myself completed a survey.

Bearing in mind that this is an innovative Council charging a measly £3 for its park and ride with water and dump facilities.

No wonder most Councils can't be bothered with us.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-05-29 5:10 AM

500 + views and as far as I can see only Richard, Dave and myself completed a survey.

Bearing in mind that this is an innovative Council charging a measly £3 for its park and ride with water and dump facilities.

No wonder most Councils can't be bothered with us.

Martyn

It's also been quoted on Facts, Fun and Autosleepers to my knowledge, maybe more forums, been good response on Fun, less so on the others but it all helps. (and I wouldn't have bothered posting links above if I hadn't done it, so you missed me out!)

I completed it Martyn....even if somewhat sceptical. If using Aires/Stellplatz etc as a comparison, UK is light years behind and won't ever be in that league.

Bulletguy - 2015-05-29 3:34 PM

I completed it Martyn....even if somewhat sceptical. If using Aires/Stellplatz etc as a comparison, UK is light years behind and won't ever be in that league.

Come on Bulletguy, lets be positive (lol) (lol)

This council already runs a well used "Aire" at their Park & Ride just outside the city. Adding a 2nd facility shows they must satisfied with it's benefits to consider expanding.

They should be encouraged & congratulated on taking up the initiative. Once established it could be a model to enlighten less visionary councils.

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2015-05-29 8:35 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-05-29 3:34 PM

Come on Bulletguy, lets be positive (lol) (lol)

This council already runs a well used "Aire" at their Park & Ride just outside the city. Adding a 2nd facility shows they must satisfied with it's benefits to consider expanding.

They should be encouraged & congratulated on taking up the initiative. Once established it could be a model to enlighten less visionary councils.

Exactly ;-) .......we need to gain a few footholds among enlightened councils, to spread the message B-) ......

Archived