Summer recipes for cooking in your caravan
There's nothing better than cooking – and eating – in the open air.
Here's three delicious recipes to try next time you are away in your caravan; perfect for quick, simple and super-tasty meals!
These recipes are being shared in association with Campingaz.
Mussels with chorizo
- 2kg mussels
- 80g chorizo
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 100ml white wine
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 20g parsley
- 1 lemon
- Bread and aioli to serve
1. Wash the mussels thoroughly. If they stay closed, they are good to eat, so make sure you find any that stay open and throw them away.
2. Cut the chorizo, celery and tomato into pieces. Dice the onion and finely chop the parsley. While you are doing this, turn on the burners under the wok and let it get hot.
3. Add a dash of oil to the wok and fry the chorizo, onion and celery. Add the chopped tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, pinch of chili powder and the wine.
4. Reduce the heat so it’s now on medium and add the mussels. Close the barbecue lid and let the mussels cook for 5-7 minutes. When the mussels have opened, they are cooked.
5. Squeeze half a lemon over the mussels. Slice the other half of the lemon. Sprinkle the mussels with parsley and garnish with a lemon wedge. Serve with bread and aioli.
Courgette and mint fritters
- 240g grated courgette
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g feta
- A handful of fresh chopped mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
1. Grate the courgette onto a plate or into a bowl. With your hands, squeeze out the excess liquid and discard it.
2. Finely chop the mint.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs before adding the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to form the batter.
4. Add the courgette, feta and mint into the mixture and gently stir it to combine the ingredients with the batter.
5. Heat some oil in your frying pan or on your Plancha surface and, when it’s hot, add spoonfuls of batter to make fritters around 10cm in diameter. Fry for 2 minutes each side.
6. Serve with sour cream.
Chipotle and lime marinated chicken
- 3 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chipotle sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 chicken breasts
- Handful coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
1. Squeeze the juice from the limes into a bowl and mix in the olive oil, chipotle sauce and a pinch of salt to make the marinade. Put a third of this aside for later.
2. Add the chicken to the bowl, making sure it is fully coated in the marinade. Cover and leave for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
3. Stir honey into remaining marinade until dissolved to make the sauce.
4. Grill the chicken breasts on lightly oiled grill rack until just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Brush both sides of the chicken with some of the marinade sauce containing honey. Then, continue to grill until the chicken is fully cooked and lightly browned.
Your say – what ingredient can't you live without?
Garlic – yes, it smells, but it’s perfect for adding flavour to just about everything!
Always sugar! I need a nice sweet coffee to start off my day.
The kids have tomato ketchup on everything and it has to be the good stuff!
Tough to choose one but I’d say proper sausages for a morning fry-up!
To discover more recipes that are perfect when you are cooking on your caravan tours – and to enter monthly competitions with great prizes, make sure that you follow Campingaz on Instagram. Find more recipes at @Campingaz_UK
To see the full range, visit campingaz.com/uk
Campingaz Camping Cook
The new Camping Cook offers excellent performance and portability. With two 1,800W independently adjustable burners, you can cook up a hearty meal with ease. No need for any additional accessories as the hose and regulator already come attached. Simply connect your Campingaz CV cartridge and you are good to go.