Cooking in your caravan
Spring is almost upon us, bringing warmer weather and longer, lighter evenings. If you like cooking and eating outdoors, try these quick and simple recipes the next time you're out and about in your caravan.
These recipes are brought to you in association with Campingaz.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Bunch of asparagus
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 2tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- Sea salt
- 1 lemon
1. Create bundles by wrapping a bacon rasher around 3-4 spears of asparagus.
2. Brush each bundle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Either place the asparagus on a grill or you can cook them in a frying pan. Cook for four minutes on each side.
4. Remove from grill or frying pan, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.
Camping Stove S’mores
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1 bar of milk chocolate
- 1 packet of digestive biscuits
- Hot chocolate powder
1. Break up the chocolate bar and place in a small non-stick pan so that it covers the bottom.
2. Arrange the marshmallows over the top of the chocolate.
3. Cover the pan and place over a low heat on your camping stove. Cook until melted, trying not to stir the mixture.
4. Dust with hot chocolate powder before scooping the s’more mixture onto a digestive biscuit and topping it with another biscuit.
Grilled Steak with Gorgonzola Butter
- 2 sirloin steaks
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper
- 150g of salted butter, softened
- 150g of gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 2tsp of fresh thyme, chopped
- 2tsp of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Fire up the barbecue to a medium high heat.
2. Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
3. Place steaks on the grill and cook to your preference, turning once during cooking.
4. While the steaks are grilling mix all the remaining ingredients together. Do not add salt to this mixture as the butter has salt and the gorgonzola is quite salty, too.
5. Take the steaks off the grill and leave to rest for five minutes.
6. Serve steaks with a generous dollop of the gorgonzola butter on top.
7. You can also spread the flavoured butter over a burger bun and add the steak sliced.
8. If you have any butter left over, roll it into a sausage between sheets of cling film and put it in the freezer.
Sweet potato and chickpea stew
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 475ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 4tbsp of peanut butter
- 2tsp of chilli powder
- 1tsp of salt
- 200g of kale, woody parts removed and chopped
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add the onion and gently fry for about 5 minutes, until softened and just starting to brown.
3. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Add the sweet potato, vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, peanut butter, chilli powder and salt.
5. Stir well to ensure the peanut butter is thoroughly mixed in.
6. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
7. Once the sweet potato is tender, add the chickpeas and the kale. Stir to combine and heat until the chickpeas have warmed through and the kale has wilted.
Your say – what’s the best thing about cooking on tour?
The kids seem to find it fun going to the wash-up area which saves us a job
We eat together as a family, something that doesn’t often happen at home
You can enjoy the whole bottle of wine knowing there’s a lie in in the morning!
To discover more recipes that are perfect when you are cooking on your caravan tours – and to enter monthly competitions with great prizes, make sure that you follow Campingaz on Instagram. Find them at @Campingaz_UK
To see the full range visit campingaz.com/uk
Campingaz Camping Cook
The new Camping Cook offers excellent performance and portability. With two 1,800W independently adjustable burners you can cook up a hearty meal with ease. No need for any additional accessories as the hose and regulator already come attached. Simply connect your Campingaz CV cartridge and you are good to go.