Cooking in a Caravan: Cauliflower mac recipe
Monica Rivron’s cooking in a caravan recipe this month is her mouth-watering ‘Cauliflower Mac’ dish.
It’s a quick and easy dish to cook, and it will delight any cooks who need to feed their family on a tight budget!
Watch the video below to see how Monica prepares, cooks and serves her Cauliflower Mac!
1 cauliflower (£1)
2 x table spoons Plain Flour (5p)
4 Rashers of Bacon (75p)
1 Onion (10p)
2 Celery Sticks (5p)
Olive oil (10p)
- Grate the cheese; finely chop the onion and celery. Cube the bacon with scissors.
- Separate the cauliflower into nice small florets and run under the tap.
- Select a nice large ovenproof serving dish. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200 °C. One little word of warning this recipe does require a few pots and therefore washing up.
- Set a pan of water on the hob for the pasta with a drizzle of olive oil in the water and when it is boiling add the macaroni and cook.
- While the pasta is cooking, get a smaller pan of water on the hob and simmer the cauliflower for about four minutes. You want it to remain firm, so, after the allotted time, drain and refresh under the cold tap and tip into the serving dish.
- In a frying pan with a drop of oil, start cooking the bacon then add the onion and celery. When the bacon is golden at the edges and the onion and celery are nice and soft, tip into the serving dish and fold into the pasta.
- Now you need to make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, I use the cauliflower pan to save on washing up. Add the flour, take off the heat and with a wooden spoon mix into a paste. Slowly add a small amount of milk and mix continuously, making sure it remains paste like.
- Put it back on the heat and gently add the rest of the milk stirring all the time.
- When the sauce is just starting to thicken add the cheese and bring up to a gentle simmer.
- Let it thicken and then pour over the lovey pasta cauliflower mix.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.
The Bailey microwave oven
While a microwave oven doesn’t exactly scream ‘haute cuisine’, they can be useful in the caravanning environment, for speed and ease of use.
The Unicorn Barcelona features a good-sized 20-litre Daewoo
microwave, with a stylish stainless-steel finish. It’s located at a reachable height above the hob/work surface, and has simple-to-use controls. Its 800 watts of power provides domestic levels of performance and versatility.
Watch Monica below!