There's nothing better than cooking – and eating – in the open air.
The next time you're camping out in your caravan, why not try rustling up one of these three delicious recipes? In fact, try all three of them; perfect for quick, simple and super-tasty meals!
These recipes are being shared in association with Campingaz.
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 200g)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 175g risotto rice
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus stalks and put the stock onto simmer in a saucepan on a low heat.
2. Add the asparagus tips to the stock and simmer for one minute before scooping them out and setting them aside.
3. Heat the oil and half the butter in a frying pan or your Culinary Modula Paella Pan. Cook the onions gently for 5 mins until soft, stirring often.
4. Add the rice and continuously stir for a few minutes until it turns semi-transparent and makes a hissing sound.
5. On a low heat, start adding the stock, a little bit at a time, stirring between each addition until it is absorbed by the rice.
6. After about 15 mins, try the rice. It should feel just cooked with a slight bite to it. Then, stir in the asparagus tips and the last bit of stock and cook for 1 or 2 mins more.
7. Remove from the heat and top with the remaining butter and the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and leave for a few minutes before tucking in.
- 2 fillets of salmon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 80ml soy sauce
- 115g honey
- Sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, mix 1tsp of olive oil with the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and ginger.
2. Place the salmon in a sealable bag and pour half of the marinade mix on the salmon. Save the other half for later.
3. Let the salmon marinate in a cool box for at least 30 minutes.
4. In a frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add salmon to the pan but discard the used marinade.
5. Cook salmon on one side for about 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove salmon from pan. Pour in remaining marinade and reduce it.
7. Serve the salmon with the reduced sauce and a side salad.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 110g butter, chilled and cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 85g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 50g sultanas or currants
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Milk, if required
- Pinch of salt
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl then add the chilled, cubed butter.
2. Rub with your fingertips, or pulse in a food processor, until you have breadcrumb consistency.
3. Add the sugar, sultanas and beaten egg then mix well to form a stiff dough, add a splash of milk if required.
4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured board until 5mm thick and then stamp out rounds with a 7.5–10cm cutter.
5. Rub your griddle or heavy-based pan with butter, wipe away the excess and place on the hob until it is heated through.
6. Cook the Welsh cakes a few at a time for approx. 3 minutes on each side, until golden-brown and risen gently.
7. Remove from the griddle, serve immediately sprinkled with a little extra caster sugar.
Your say – do you stock up on food before you leave home?
I try to go and do a big supermarket shop before we go away in the caravan – it saves us a lot of money and we make sure we pack plenty of treats
We always have the intention of being organised but it rarely ever pans out so we end up eating out most nights – not that anyone minds a trip to the pub!
I’d say we do a bit of both – I tend to get a few staples before we go like pasta and tins etc but we always buy some sausages from the farm we stay at
We always have a barbecue and that always feel fun, not at all like cooking at home. We like supporting local businesses so will often go into the nearest town for supplies
To discover more recipes that are perfect when you are cooking on your caravan tours – and to enter monthly competitions with great prizes, make sure that you follow Campingaz on Instagram. Find them at @Campingaz_UK
To see the full range visit campingaz.com/uk
Campingaz Party Grill 400 CV
A powerful and versatile stove that offers the choice of five different cooking surfaces. Choose between pan cooking, barbecuing on the cooking grid, a reversible grill and griddle plate and the lid even doubles up as a wok for making tasty noodle dishes.
The Party Grill 400 CV is powered by compact and portable CV300+ and CV470+ gas cartridges for ultimate convenience.