Vango lands top award for "world's lightest" inflatable tent
British camping manufacturer Vango has created what they say is the world’s lightest inflatable tent.
The Project Hydrogen tent weighs just 600g and can be inflated in seconds using a bicycle pump.
Until now inflatable tents have mainly been used by family campers due to their size and weight, but this is believed to be the first lightweight model aimed at backpackers and cycle campers.
The innovative new tent will go on sale in February 2020 but has already landed a prestigious award at Europe’s largest outdoor trade fair, OutDoor by ISPO in Munich.
It claimed the highly sought-after Outstanding Outdoor Gold Winner award in the Best Tent category. ISPO judges said Project Hydrogen was “a real innovation that is incredibly easy to use”.
Scottish-based Vango was also recognised for its new Radiate heated sleeping bag, which received an Outstanding Outdoor Winner’s award in the in the All-Round Sleeping Bags category. The bag scored top marks for its innovative heated design, which uses a USB-powered graphene panel to let you adjust the heat, making it suitable for use with a portable power bank or mains campsite hook-up.
Vango’s Marketing Director, Rob Birrell said: “Winning these prestigious awards for products in our 2020 collection, as well as being recognised by leading industry figures, is a real testament to our product development team and our continuous commitment to develop cutting edge outdoor equipment for our customers.
“I’m delighted to be part of a team which truly excels and makes its mark with the production of innovative outdoor kit as it enables so many more people to enjoy all types of adventures in the great outdoors. We cannot wait to see what our customers make of these products, alongside the rest of our 2020 collection.”
L-R: Bob Ewan, Vango Product Manager; Martin Jones, Vango Product Director; Jason Gilmour, Vango Assistant Product Manager
Other new 2020 products that were recognised in the ISPO Outdoor awards include:
- Craghoppers Salado Hi walking boots: Featuring exclusive NosiLife anti-insect material to prevent bugs crawling into the boot when left outside.
- Robens Serac 900 sleeping bag: Four-season down sleeping bag with loft expander system to increase insulation and maximise loft after moving inside the bag.
- Thule AllTrail X 35 L backpack: Durable and comfortable backpack for using on outdoor and urban adventures.
- MSR Hubba Hubba NX tent: A new version of the popular lightweight tent with improved waterproof qualities.
- Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro sleeping mat: A cozy sleeping pad with easy inflation and stretch fabric that compresses into a backpack- friendly size.
- Vaude Meglis Eco 700 SYN sleeping bag: Inspired by the construction of toilet paper rolls, the sleeping bag is designed in layers for extra flexibility. It so elastic that you can even sit cross-legged inside it.