Newbie after advice

carl191175

Hi all. Just joined and looks like lots of good helpful advice on here which I'd like to tap into if I may.

Looking at going on our first ever motorhome holiday the last week of October 2015. Hiring a motorhome and the plan is to ferry across to Calais then drive up into Netherlands somewhere and work our way back to Calais via Belgium and obviously top of France over 7 days taking in as much as we can within reason.

The vehicle I'm hiring is a Elddis Autoquest 180. 7.2m long. 3m high. We will not be towing another vehicle so after some advice/ experiences from anyone as where to go, park, camp etc bearing in mind the size of vehicle.

I've been doing a lot of research on line and goes without saying I won't be driving into big cities. Looking at parking on outskirts and using public transport or hiring bikes to get around and see the sights.

New to all this so apologise if I sound dumb by asking.

Any suggestions? Good spots to park overnight, campsites (I don't mind paying if good), must sees and of course the BIG NO NO's.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Carl

:-D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

Welcome to motor Homing! Big step going to France as first trip. We started in UK just to get used to things.

Now we are fulltiming in Europe! We like to stay in municiple sites as they are pretty safe and near to towns so you don't have far to walk.unfortunately, most of them close I September as the French holiday time is over. Aires are quite good, most are free, or only charge a couple of euros for a nights stay, but don't stay on motorway aires overnight, hear some nasty stories about them.

The other way is to use asci card as they give good discounts out of season, we use ours quite a lot. I could go on and on,but best way is just be sensible where you stay, you seem to get a sense about a good place to stay. Just enjoy!

Hi Carl,

Welcome to motor Homing! Big step going to France as first trip. We started in UK just to get used to things.

Now we are fulltiming in Europe! We like to stay in municiple sites as they are pretty safe and near to towns so you don't have far to walk.unfortunately, most of them close I September as the French holiday time is over. Aires are quite good, most are free, or only charge a couple of euros for a nights stay, but don't stay on motorway aires overnight, hear some nasty stories about them.

The other way is to use asci card as they give good discounts out of season, we use ours quite a lot. I could go on and on,but best way is just be sensible where you stay, you seem to get a sense about a good place to stay. Just enjoy!

Guest pelmetman

Ditto the above ;-) .............

Speaking as some one who crosses to France at every opportunity........I'm not sure why you would want to make your learning curve steeper by crossing the ditch? :-S ..................

Is hiring not expensive enough without adding a ferry cost for just 7 days 8-) .........

To be honest your better of staying in the UK, as at least you can expect the person on the next door pitch to speak our lingo, when your struggling with some of the complexities of a modern motorhome :D ............

Fortunately I don't have a modern motorhome B-).............

Have to agree with others. Too much in a week, me thinks.You will spend all your time driving,Also a big van, so hope , if it is over 3500. you have a licence to drive it?. Be aware also that a lot of French sites are not open after September, check that is not the case in Belgium, Holland!

PJay

• 4 weeks later...
Our first ever trip in our motorhome last year, similar size to the one you're hiring, was to France for 1 week. But, we just poodled around the Loire Valley, picking out 4 sites. Worked out perfectly for us, as the roads were very good to drive on, and we soon got to grips with living in a motorhome- we'd never even been in a caravan before this! Yes, some sites close out of season but worth looking in the ACSI book which will help, or just check that sites are open on the web. You'll love it, we've been back to France many times since, down to Spain and now planning a trip next year to Croatia. Enjoy!

Archived