What are your top motorhoming money-saving tips?

Andrew MMM

Tracker's Top Ten Tips!

1 Don't use it!

2 Sell it and get a tent!

3 Never buy a 'better' one expecting it to be better!

4 Never buy a new van - let someone else pay for all those pricey extras!

5 Holiday abroad where you not only soon recoup the ferry fare but you get sunshine too!

6 Use Aires instead of sites!

7 Used coachbuilts are better vfm than used panel vans!

8 Join the forum and discover how others save money in real life!

9 Stop buying magazines!

10 Shop around for van insurance!

Tracker - 2012-12-12 3:46 PMTracker's Top Ten Tips!1 Don't use it!2 Sell it and get a tent!3 Never buy a 'better' one expecting it to be better!4 Never buy a new van - let someone else pay for all those pricey extras!5 Holiday abroad where you not only soon recoup the ferry fare but you get sunshine too!6 Use Aires instead of sites!7 Used coachbuilts are better vfm than used panel vans! 8 Join the forum and discover how others save money in real life!9 Stop buying magazines!10 Shop around for van insurance!

Some interesting tips - except for number 9, which is of course, a very bad idea!

pelmetman - 2012-12-12 3:39 PM

Keep the same camper for 20 years :D

Agree. Get your van how YOU want it, and keep for a reasonable time. Never understand why some change their vehicles so often , cars included. Must be a status symbol!!

PJay

Use maps - don't buy a sat-nav

Avoid 4 star sites which have amenities you don't need / don't want.

Don't convert to cruise control - take charge of the accelerator yourself - and benefit from the excercise.

Better to go away once for 6 days than twice for 3 days ( save fuel costs ).

If you are over 55 yrs - join C&CC and benefit from their " old fogies " reductions in site fees - or just camp on the continent where it's cheaper.

Don't drive fast.

;-)

Is it just me or have we accepted the following is the norm? ''

Here is the copy from a piece in WHICH MOTORHOME -MMM (front page on-line)

''you can afford an A-class, thanks to new, more affordable offerings from Knaus and Rapido - £60,000 might sounds like a lot of money but these new A-classes offer the ultimate in motorhoming luxury at a surprisingly realistic price.''

YES, £60,000 IS a lot of money and NO, it's not 'surprisingly realistic'.

This kind of rhetoric follows the form of Advertisements which lead with ONLY such and such a price!! It's everywhere now i.e ONLY £500 for a garden shed -made out of orange boxes and, ONLY £60 for a Christmas turkey!

Next the Headlines in the BBC on-line will lead with FUEL DUTY CUT WHILE ECONOMY SLOWS - cut!!?? NO just not increased actually.

My tip - if you've got a really nice camper that suits your needs - KEEP IT. (The newer models aren't made as well)

Merry Christmas, safe motor-homing to all and enjoy the 'Fuel Duty Cut' while it lasts!!

mbeworthit - 2012-12-13 6:13 PMIs it just me or have we accepted the following is the norm? ''Here is the copy from a piece in WHICH MOTORHOME -MMM (front page on-line)''you can afford an A-class, thanks to new, more affordable offerings from Knaus and Rapido - £60,000 might sounds like a lot of money but these new A-classes offer the ultimate in motorhoming luxury at a surprisingly realistic price.''YES, £60,000 IS a lot of money and NO, it's not 'surprisingly realistic'.............................................................................

In April 2012 Le Monde du Camping-car produced an article Intrégraux à moins de 60000€

Containing 35 models under this price i.e the Pilote Aventura G600 LPA @53300€ at an exchange rate of £1 = 1.20€ that works out at £44,500 or the Itineo TB690 @ 52900€ or £44100.

as I said save money by investigating prices abroad :-)

• 3 weeks later...

mbeworthit - 2012-12-13 5:13 PM

My tip - if you've got a really nice camper that suits your needs - KEEP IT. (The newer models aren't made as well)

Would agree but in this modern world the authorities are trying to force people into buying newer vehicles by restricting the use of older engined vehicles with the excuse of pollution control. We would be quite happy to keep our 14 year old motorhome for ever but see more and more restrictions being placed around Europe and the UK so we will see how long we can keep it.

Bas

Guest 1footinthegrave

Don't buy fancy toilet chemicals, I mean what's the point just empty daily, ditto toilet paper, adopt the Greek method of disposal.

Get some black plastic pop bottles to store water on your dashboard in sunny weather, quite surprising how hot the water can get.

Don't get conned into "camper tyres" just get the appropriate rated van tyres instead.

You've got all your facilities on-board, so why pay top prices for sites that just duplicate what you have in your van, use Aires, CL's instead, or stop at Travel Lodges, that'll at least save on the trek across the damp grass, and in some cases cheaper than a site ! !

Change all your bulbs to LEDs, expensive initially, but should offer savings in the long run with extended battery life.

If capable of it do at least your own oil and filter change, you will at least know the right stuff has been put in, a 20 minute job.

Have your MOT done at council depots, they are not looking for work, so don't have any ulterior motive.

Habitation checks, don't make me laugh, nothing any half capable bloke can't do, and probably do better.

But my top money saving tip would be, don't buy any kind of van in the first place if you think it is going to be a cheap exercise, anything that has Motor Home, or Caravan spare or equipment attached to it seems to attract the idea by the manufacturers and retailers when it comes to pricing as, "think of a number and quadruple it "

Lift your right foot slightly.... I gentle accelerator will give you miles more for your diesel, trust me it works.

On the motorway I stick to about 60 to 62 mph, if the road is quiet I'll drop to about 55 to 57 mph, the fuel you will save will be unbelievable.

Have fun.. :D

Guest pelmetman
Basil - 2012-12-29 9:58 PM

mbeworthit - 2012-12-13 5:13 PM

Would agree but in this modern world the authorities are trying to force people into buying newer vehicles by restricting the use of older engined vehicles with the excuse of pollution control. We would be quite happy to keep our 14 year old motorhome for ever but see more and more restrictions being placed around Europe and the UK so we will see how long we can keep it.

Bas

The fact that I can longer go into some cities is a bonus in my book ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't apply the "hair shirt" approach to so-called motorhoming and I wouldn't attempt to convert a van into a MH myself. I'm also grateful for the investment and risk-taking which the MH trade put into their businesses and the services they provide for us, so I don't mind them making profits. Motorhomes are, like almost any motor vehicle, depreciating assets and those substantial sort of costs are difficult to avoid.

But there is nevertheless plenty of scope for doing the research and shopping around to get the best available deals when you buy a MH and also when you use and equip it with extras. Buying a used MH of a type approriate to your budget will be better for most novices than buying new.

Much depends on how you will use the MH, so for example there is no point in buying a solar panel if you plan to stay exclsuively on sites where you will have an EHU. Otherwise things like solar panels, an extra leisure battery, LED lamps and so on can be very worthwhile investments. Our generator stays at home now we have a decent solar panel system. Likewise a Silverscreen cover for the windscreen saves heatings costs as well as reducing condensation in winter.

We have re-fillable gas bottles too which reduces the cost of gas but in retrospect I should have bought only one refillable bottle to get best value.

Drivings style has been mentioned and since MHs are not really built for speed anyway, driving at less than 60 mph will save a lot of fuel and give you a less noisey journey. I use our cruise control most of the time we're on motorways, set at about 58 mph, so I'm just faster than the lorries.

We feed ourseleves most of the time and only occassionally eat out, so that saves money too. We take a gas BBQ and a Remoska because we don't have an oven/grill and don't really see a need for one. We took the microwave out for the same reason.

We use the cheaper types of sites and/or Aires/Stelplatz when abroad because we don't need swimming pools of on site restaurants and the like. These sites are usully less than half the price of UK sites and sometimes free. We use CLs in UK as well as proper camp sites to save costs but we don;t hesitate to book a site when it suits us.

• 5 months later...

Having fun in a motorhome does not relate to the size of value of your motorhome. Cheap and cheerful is possible.

Don't tie up more than you can afford in a depreciating asset. Keep money back to ensure you have sufficient flexibility for big bills.

Check finance offers very carefully and also recognise that not using finance is a loss of interest on the money spent.

Only buy accessories you need, not want.

Use the forum and magazine to better understand your motorhome and reduce repair and maintenance costs by either challenging the dealers doing the work or doing the work yourself.

A good dealer near to home is worth their weight in gold.

• 3 years later...

Firstly, accept that a motorhome is a large hole into which you pour money.

Don't buy one in the UK, the prices are a ridiculous. Import from Germany/Europe.

Get Webasto/Ebersphacher heating. Much cheaper than gas and much less hassle.

Don't go to UK campsites, they are too expensive, but use Britstops/Search For Sites etc. for places to stay.

Go to Europe, its much cheaper, even with a crap exchange rate. Stellplatz, Aires, stopovers, whatever you want to call them are great. Campsites are also generally better value for money.

Get a Tesco Clubcard and get tunnel/ferry for a third of the price.

• 1 month later...

The best way to save money is to DIY :-D

Buy a vehicle (possible in Germany, where they tend to be cheaper) and convert it into a motorhome by yourself.

That is what we are doing and we plan not to spend more than 30,000€ (yes, Euro, not Pounds) for an expedition truck.

So far we are well within budget.... so fingers crossed, as there is still plenty of work to be done!!!

Here are images of our vehicle when we bought it and as it looks like at the moment (it is still not finished):

https://cinziasblog.travel.blog/category/diy/

Other tips for when travelling

- if you plan a long trip (several months), consider the price of fuel / petrol of the country / countries you are planning to visit. Whenever possible, try to include at least one country where fuel / petrol prices are relatively low.

- If you visit a country where food is expensive (e.g. Scandinavian countries) try to fill up your pantry as much as possible.

- Do not go out for food every day. You have purchased a mobilehome for a reason..... :-D

- Invest in a good coffee machine and make your own coffee (latte, cappuccino, etc.). For instance, a Grande Latte at Starbucks in Switzerland will cost you around 5 GBP, in Denmark it will cost around 5 GBP.

- Do not use campsites every day, in many countries it is safe (and legal) to do wild camping.

- Do some research about the cost of motorways in Southern European countries and see if you can avoid them. Often (but not always) there are good alternatives which are free

Archived