Fave gadget!

Administrator

Without doubt the most useful gadget for any form of camping trip or holiday is a wife!

So versatile - everything except navigation and for that I have the second most useful device - sat nav -

Which means that we can both relax and enjoy the view safe in the knowledge that even when we don't know where we are TomTom does!

For us one of the greatest benefits of going abroad is that you can't get UK TV!

For us there is absolutely nothing that simply 'cannot' be missed - and even if there were it would be repeated again and again so anything we did miss we can get to see first time when it is repeated!

A selection of cds dvds and books is ample for us for evening entertainment.

Good job we are all difrunt innit!

My favourite gadget has saved our marriage. A  Sat-Nag, at last I can blame someone else when we get stuck down a side road!!! ;-)

(edit) Noticed the post above so you need something else?

The length of non-slip mat that sits on my dash and stops stuff sliding off only a couple of quid, worth every penny. 

Our's is our little MP3 loaded up with all our favourite tunes and the portable speakers which run off mains or batteries and can be used indoors or outside, perfect for a chill out session or party.

The other must have is a little laptop or notebook loaded up with Skype, ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends when on tour in Europe for an extended period.

Portable (as in can be removed from the camper if required):

Cheapest: a gas lighter - this has got to be the most useful and most used - having to strike a match every time I want a cuppa would drive me nuts!!!

Dearest: TomTom sat nav - it has got us to some lovely places we'd never have found without it and it takes a lot of the hard work out of travelling distances.

Fixed in/on the van

Dearest: Solar panel - it means we don't have to worry about flat batteries at all.

Cheapest: Not really a gadget as such, but my plastic tea/coffee/sugar set on a little shelf underneath the grill - easily accessible but saves storage space in the cupboard.

[/b]Most HATED item [/b] - the fl*ming smoke alarm!!!! (no pun intended! :D ) It drives me nuts - we can't even 'think' about doing toast before it goes off, fortunately we can take it down and when cooking so that solves the problem as pressing the button to silence it doens't always last long enough! *-)

Portable (as in can be removed from the camper if required):

Cheapest: a gas lighter - this has got to be the most useful and most used - having to strike a match every time I want a cuppa would drive me nuts!!!

Dearest: TomTom sat nav - it has got us to some lovely places we'd never have found without it and it takes a lot of the hard work out of travelling distances.

Fixed in/on the van

Dearest: Solar panel - it means we don't have to worry about flat batteries at all.

Cheapest: Not really a gadget as such, but my plastic tea/coffee/sugar set on a little shelf underneath the grill - easily accessible but saves storage space in the cupboard.

[/b]Most HATED item [/b] - the fl*ming smoke alarm!!!! (no pun intended! :D ) It drives me nuts - we can't even 'think' about doing toast before it goes off, fortunately we can take it down and when cooking so that solves the problem as pressing the button to silence it doens't always last long enough! *-)

Guest pelmetman
My bbq:D............It gets me to meet lots of new campers:D....when they come to complain...... and never sets of the smoke alarm(lol)(lol)

catinou - 2011-09-24 8:49 AM Our travelling espresso gadget ( bit like a bicycle pump) love it! Also saves the extortionate €2 per cup on long journeys. ;-)

Save a Euro and drink it black :-)Round here its E1 'Petit Noire' and E2.5 for a Cappuccino  !! I use one of those hob top Aluminium percolators (E10) from our local hardware store, cheaper still B-)

Guest pelmetman
Retread24800 - 2011-09-24 12:02 PM

Save a Euro and drink it black :-)Round here its E1 'Petit Noire' and E2.5 for a Cappuccino  !! I use one of those hob top Aluminium percolators (E10) from our local hardware store, cheaper still B-)

We have the Aluminum type at home for use on our log burner:D........But in the camper we found a stainless steel one in a charity shop:D......It looks like a steel tea pot, except for a glass knob and has the internals of a percolator:D.....It means we have both a coffee pot and teapot in one B-)   

• 4 weeks later...
Our best gadgets by far are our electric bikes. No more struggling to get on that site which is within walking distance of the town or place of interest; no more struggling back to the site at the end of the day when you've been to the beach (cos it's normally up hill). No more worrying if that second pint or glass of wine is going to put you over the limit. No road tax, no insurance, no petrol costs....wonderful

Guest Tracker
Tony Jones - 2011-10-27 7:14 PM

So you need to get my book!

FAQ - the tricky bits of the Christian faith | http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XM21H0

:-D

With respect Tony, as I see it the only tricky bits are the fact that nobody gets out alive and only the dead know if it's true!

Hardly a marketing coup methinks when designing a grand scheme for mankind!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tony Jones - 2011-10-27 7:14 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 2:40 PM

A no brainer for us, A Kindle, hundreds of books at your fingertips................

So you need to get my book!

FAQ - the tricky bits of the Christian faith | http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XM21H0

:-D

I may just do that very thing, I've been looking for answers all of my life, without much success as yet !

I have just read the sample pages,and it looks interesting. I can only say that he ( God ) must be very disappointed in the human race.

Cab area "drivers department" TomTom / Aires Book  and good French Road Map.

Kitchen Area "cooks department" 3piece steamer £9.99 can be used as casserole dish / saucepan / single steamer / double steamer and collander. small whistling kettle , and of course the corkscrew!!

Archived