control panel.

nona farm

We have just pitched at a beautiful campsite in Toledo, hooked up.............no reverse polarity, and our control panel will not work!. We have power from the electric sockets, the fridge is working, but we cannot use the loo or sink as no pumps. We also have no lights, or step up. Please does anyone have any ideas about what we should do? Unfortunately we are not very good at DIY, but are very willing to learn if someone may have an answer.

nona farm :-(

Hi Shirley,

Does 12 volt work if you unplug the mains?

It would help if we knew the make and age of van?

There are probably fuses in the cables leading to/from the leisure battery - often 30 amp.

Check them for not blown and for making good contact as some fuse holders are very poorly made and can burn out.

A blown fuse can be seen by looking at the link between the two terminals to see if it has a gap and is thus blown. Holding it up to a light often helps see clearly. A good fuse has a continuous link.

If there has been poor contact there may be signs of charring, pitting or melted plastic due to the overheating it causes when current tries to flow but can't.

It seems unlikely that all the fuses will have blown simultaneously in the control box so at this stage I would not suspect that?

I don't suppose you - or a neighbour - has a digital multimeter to check continuity and voltages?

I presume you have mains lights? An empty coke bottle will get you cold water to fill a kettle and if your gas will not ignite longer stem matches get you less singed fingers than short 'uns!

Hi Malc and Rich, Thank you so much for your replies. Amazingly we are managing really well without lights and loo. Will work on all suggestions now and hope it is a fuse. Very annoying but there we are!! And it is certainly not spoiling the holiday. We have a Swift Sundance 2007.

Shirley

I know it sounds silly but have you checked the 12 volt is switched on, on the control panel? On my van the end left switch has to be on for anything 12 volt to work ie taps, loo, lights & tv but all mains sockets & fridge will work. Suggest as vindiboy says you disconnect mains then see if anything works.

If it is all swtiched on it has to be a break in continuation-ie a fuse or loose connection. It maybe the main switch that is off (usualy located near charger etc where mains comes inside the van)

Mike

lancepar - 2012-09-16 9:08 PM

We had a similar problem with our pump, have a scroll through the control panel and see if the external pump has been selected.

B-)

But would that have any effect on Shirley's motorhome's interior lights and step-retraction not working?

Besides the lights, step and water/toilet system not functioning, I'd anticipate that the air heater and water boiler might not operate on gas and that 12V sockets would also be out of action.

There seems to be some 'history' with the Nordelettronica-made electrical equipment Swift were installing around 2007/2008. If that's what's in Shirley's Sundance it might be worth reading through this 2008 thread:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-54380-days0-orderasc-0.html

and GOOGLEing on "nordelettronica control panel NE183"

Thank you all you wonderful folk. We came upon an amazing place called SurCaravaning just outside Estepona on the A7 junction 153. After much deliberation and testing of fuses it was found to be a blip and the main fuse was taken out of the leisure battery. After 5 minutes was reconnected and it reprogrammed itself. New door catch and fridge lock for travelling companions and we were on our way. Wonderful competent and willing service for pennies. Full marks to them all. We are now safely esconced at the site in Manilva, La Bella Vista, mentioned in a previous MMM. It is fabulous.

Thanks all, Shirley

Archived