X2/50 horn location

silverback

Hi all

driving alongside loch lomond a month ago, the road was really really bumpy, anyways i had to use the horn about aweek later.. and nothing *-) so i thought a connection has come loose, so i have looked 3 times now under the bonnet and can i find it, can i hell :$ any body know where it is located? i was just gonna check a few connections

jon

Guest Peter James

Its below the offside headlamp. you can't see it without dismantling, exceptperhaps with a mirror. But you may be able to get your hand in and feel it depending on what engine etc you have fitted.

You can get to the horn by taking off the offside headlamp. Even then you can't see the horn, only feel it, and the single nut holding it on.

The trim above and below the headlamp is held on by screws you can easily see with the bonnet open, and push/pull clips which you can't get to. Once you have removed the screws you just have to be brave - pull the trim away and hope it doesn't crack. Once the trim is out you can get to the 3 screws that hold in the headlamp.

I had to replace mine because rainwater leaked in through the top of the windscreen, got into the steering column shorting out the horn button, and set the horn going until it burned itself out!

Guest Peter James
colin - 2013-06-24 10:05 PM

The manual says work from the wheel arch.

Thats all very well when you have the vehicle up on a hoist. But if you haven't I find it easier to work from above.

Guest Peter James
All the front panels can be unbolted and taken off for maintenance. This is as photo of my X2/50 with some of the panels off, showing the location of the horn. But its a lot of work just to replace the horn or check the connections when you can get your hand in there from above and feel it, if not see it.

X250.thumb.jpg.5750302dfd022d68d19d479e9a064516.jpg

Hello,

The horns fitted to our 2011 registered vans have been a right pain. There must have been a change of supplier since the early ones in 2007 which have never failed. We have had 3 or 4 2011 horns replaced under warranty before the second year ran out.

The moral of the story would be to make sure you have a replacement to hand before you start stripping things down; you will probably be replacing it.

Any after-market unit will do as long as it has 2 spade connections to it and is not earthed through the mounting. I recommend Hella over other makes like Ring. The OE item from Fiat has a proprietary plug attachment to the loom, so would be simpler to fit but why do that if we know they don't last?

Nick

well my first reaction was 8-) which university degree endowed numpty thought it would be a good idea to put a horn there of all places!! sheer madness *-)

but many thanks peter james for the pics it is where it shows *-)

so after shredding my arm sticking it thro the gap >:-( i pulled off the connector plug and re attached and the horn works :-D yee haa

it goes in for its year service in 3 week so they can undo the wheel arch and get the loose plug sorted (under warrenty) or else...cos i'm not shredding my arm again!! *-)

THANKS again chaps as usual you came up with the goods

jon

ps Nick.. will change to after market job if it goes again out of warrenty

Archived