Which tablet

calypso

bought an i-pad mini and just done 5 weeks in France there was free wi fi on some of the aires we stayed at but my i-pad couldn't find it. other people seemed to have no trouble ....would i have been better with a samsung or what do you people recommend thank you

Guest Had Enough
calypso - 2014-06-26 6:53 PM

bought an i-pad mini and just done 5 weeks in France there was free wi fi on some of the aires we stayed at but my i-pad couldn't find it. other people seemed to have no trouble ....would i have been better with a samsung or what do you people recommend thank you

All tablets have the same problem in that you can't boost the wi-fi signal by plugging in a usb aerial.

I still carry my old laptop and I use an external aerial. Whilst most people have to go to the reception area to pick up wi-fi I can get it in my 'van.

I then have Connectify on my laptop. Having received the wi-fi signal Connectify creates a password protected wi-fi zone and I can log on to update my tablet or smartphone as can my wife with her cheap Hudl.

But to deal with your immediate problem. When you say that your iPad mini 'couldn't find it', what do you mean exactly? Could it not locate any wi-fi signals or were the signals not strong enough?

If you couldn't find wi-fi at all could it be that you're just not familiar with the device and how to get it to scan and locate available wi-fi?

If you were walking to the reception area on a site and others were getting a good signal and you were getting nothing I suspect that you may not know how to operate it properly.

I've no doubt that some tablets may be a bit more sensitive than others, but I wouldn't have thought that the difference is enormous. My wife's cheap Tesco Hudl picks up a wi-fi signal just as well as my £300 Sony Xperia tablet.

I have an ipad 3 and have no trouble with free wifi when abroad on campsites or wherever.

Have you tried it in a macdonalds abroad where the wifi signal is perhaps more stable?

If it works at home on your wifi router then it should work ok anywhere there is a good signal.

Do not be hasty the Apple products are up there with the best.

I've never had any problems with our iPads (iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPad mini) if there's signal it'll find it. On the other hand my friend with an Android tablet seems to spend half an hour trying to connect to wifi every time.

Some campsites have rather iffy facilities that come and go at random, but this is down to the way it's implemented onsite, it's not cheap to set up so owners often go for cheaper network options.

If you need to get a better signal I can wholeheartedly recommend Motorhome Wifi iBooster (http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/iboost-wifi-system/) it is so good I actually used it at home to get a signal in the shed at the bottom of the garden.

THanx all for your advice... i took it into the Apple shop and they gave me a replacement .....I also booked on their workshop for Monday ...so I will defineitly be doing it right next time.... I think I was this time maybe it was a faulty ariel ????? thank you once again

Archived