What year was the Reverse judder problem in Fiat sorted

limerick

AND what was the solution

The reason I ask this is I bought a 2010 camper with a Fiat body 2 months ago and now notice juddering in reverse gear.After speaking to the previous owner he said he had to replace the clutch last year and there is only 31000 miles on the clock now. The dealer is arranging to have the van checked by Fiat next week.I was wondering if my problem is the notorious judder or a different problem

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe it was 2009 or 10 so whilst your camper may be a 2010 registered one, it could be on a 2009 chassis - for example, our Accent has an August/September 2011 chassis but it was registered in June 2012.

I am not sure what year exactly, but think it was before 2010 Limerick. We have friends with a 2008 Fiat 2.9td and they had to have their clutch replaced after 25,000 miles. Theirs was replaced by Fiat and no cost to them. It has been ok since.

I hope this helps.

I spoke to the service manager at the Fiat garage today and he thought it was the flywheel that was causing the judder I then told him of the well known juddering problem which he knew nothing about as they haven't the Fiat dealership with long but he would check it out with Fiat.

Basically, if it is a 2.3 engine, they came out of the Sevel factory in late 2009 with a lower reverse gear. You should still be able to get the 2 mods from Fiat if they have not been done (assuming yours has the earlier setup).

if yours is a 3.0 litre engine then you are on your own as Fiat maintains there are no problems with that engine and gearbox.

The clutch on my 2008 AT went after 200 miles. In my opinion,at that time,FIAT seem to have been burying their head and attempting a cover up. After months of trying to get a straight answer an appointment was made at the 'new' FIAT camper assist depot in Warrington. I couldn't accompany them on their test drive on MY VEHICLE and they were unable to give me a copy of the report-does this seem like a cover up to you?

My vehicle was a 3ltr and they then denied there was a fault with that. Every time I took it out something went wrong,so I cut my losses and got rid,such are the penalties of being a first adopter!

The faults were water ingress and damage to injectors,clutch judder,flywheel and incorrect gear box ratios,all this from a major European volume producer!

Eventually I cut my losses and got rid!

747 - 2013-07-05 10:38 PM

if yours is a 3.0 litre engine then you are on your own as Fiat maintains there are no problems with that engine and gearbox.

I didn't think there were any recorded problems with the 3.0litre?

alan b

Basically, if it is a 2.3 engine, they came out of the Sevel factory in late 2009 with a lower reverse gear. You should still be able to get the 2 mods from Fiat if they have not been done (assuming yours has the earlier setup).

I've got the 2.3 130 multijet engine .What were the 2 mod's from Fiat ?.I want to have as much info. as possible when I go to the garage on Tuesday as they are a new dealer

Are you sure you want to leave your vehicle in the hands of a dealer that:

1. Is not aware of the previous issues; and

2. Has not done the remedial work previously given that the gearbox modifications are fairly complex.

There are earlier stories of vehicles being modified for the first time and ending up with all sorts of issues including oil leaks. As dealers got more experienced the problems ceased.

Take it to a dealer who has plenty of experience fixing the judder problem.

The 3ltr engine was claimed to have no faults,but I know they did have the judder etc,.

This was proven by road transport engineers and still it was dismissed by someone at Fiats 'customer' service,someone that Andy Stothert knows well.

Anyway its all water under the bridge or scuttle,I got rid of the pile of junk,pity I liked the conversion.

yeti - 2013-07-06 5:17 PM

The 3ltr engine was claimed to have no faults,but I know they did have the judder etc,.

This was proven by road transport engineers and still it was dismissed by someone at Fiats 'customer' service,someone that Andy Stothert knows well.

Anyway its all water under the bridge or scuttle,I got rid of the pile of junk,pity I liked the conversion.

You don't hear about 3 litre GEARBOX (not engine) issues these days. Fiat have probably done a quiet fix so that they don't have to deal with the earlier issues.

limerick - 2013-07-06 4:07 PM

I've got the 2.3 130 multijet engine .What were the 2 mod's from Fiat ?.I want to have as much info. as possible when I go to the garage on Tuesday as they are a new dealer

It would be better if someone who has had the mods done answers your question as I am just repeating what has been on the Forums many times.

I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to buy a new motorhome unless I go for something on a Mercedes base vehicle. The reason for this is because I would need a large motorhome. It would be reversed UP my sloping drive and would have the 3.0 litre engine (if Fiat). There is no way on Earth that I would risk tens of thousands of Pounds to finish up like Yeti. I don't want a White Elephant on my drive.

I have gone for a 2003 2.8 JTD Ducato and it has been little trouble in nearly 4 years of ownership. Therefore no heartbreak like some owners have had.

Hi; again, Frank.

I had "the judder" on an 08 PVC, 6-speed 2.3 litre. I took our van to a local Fiat Commercial, they had done quite a few and Fiat agreed the work without any problems. People who haven't had the work done seem to think that everyone has trouble; not so. I would agree that the fact that your dealer is new to Fiat is not a particularly good sign, but it may well make them very helpful to your cause.

As I didn't have a dealer, I dealt direct with Fiat and found them very helpful.

There were several levels of "fix" and there are a number of articles out there. Try Google would be my best suggestion, because as the work was done under warranty, I didn't get an itemised bill for it, and I wouldn't want to mislead you. I believe our van had HD clutch and reverse gear mods, amongst other things. It's been fine ever since.

Good luck,

alan b

I have been dealing with this garage for the last 20 years as they used to service our work vans and I have also bought a few cars from them (Renault and Peugeot dealers).I know the service manager a long time and asked if I should go to a garage who know of the problem he said it didn't matter as they would be getting their info. from Fiat.They have always been brilliant to deal with so I think I will take a chance

limerick - 2013-07-06 5:51 PM

I have been dealing with this garage for the last 20 years as they used to service our work vans and I have also bought a few cars from them (Renault and Peugeot dealers).I know the service manager a long time and asked if I should go to a garage who know of the problem he said it didn't matter as they would be getting their info. from Fiat.They have always been brilliant to deal with so I think I will take a chance

Sounds as though you have a good chance, Frank, that sort of length of relationship is worth a lot,

alan b

limerick - 2013-07-06 9:20 PM

Did the modification's actually sort the problem?

They did; although I haven't been back to the places where the problem arose. I had 3 situations that made me sweat a bit. Since the work was done, I've been in a couple of situations where I parked foolishly pointing downhill, had a couple of days heavy rain, and expected to at least be bogged down but reversed out without a problem, and without a judder.

Even when "between trips" vans are pretty heavily laden, so I think you have to be sensible.

However, if there's a fix available we are entitled to it, and it helps preserve resale value I think,

alan b

limerick - 2013-07-05 9:00 PM

AND what was the solution

The reason I ask this is I bought a 2010 camper with a Fiat body 2 months ago and now notice juddering in reverse gear.After speaking to the previous owner he said he had to replace the clutch last year and there is only 31000 miles on the clock now. The dealer is arranging to have the van checked by Fiat next week.I was wondering if my problem is the notorious judder or a different problem

Almost certainly not, the judder thing was never notorious except to the few who got it. When the x250 came out, in 2007, it was and remains the best base vehicle for motorhomes. I bought one in 2008 when the motorhome forums were all getting very worked up about this but drove one and used my own judgement. Yes reverse gear was high but then so was the reverse on the transit at that time, personally I never had a problem and nor did the great majority of the thousands of other Fiat owners. I still know two local to me who are not even aware a problem existed, it seemed to depend on your personal use and the way you drove the van. The problem remained a minor one, although you would never think so given the noise on the forums, it never made the popular press or the general motoring press. Fiat however bought out a modification program which cured the problem and the fuss died down, their are a few on here who declared their intention never to buy one but I note have still done so. They altered the 2.3 gearbox late 2008/early 2009 so yours will certainly have the modified box, your problem must be something else. Reverse up a steep hill however on any well loaded van, with what is still a fairly small engine, and it is possible to create judder, this is pretty normal on any van and should not create problems if you do not make a habit of it.

They altered the 2.3 gearbox late 2008/early 2009 so yours will certainly have the modified box, your problem must be something else. Reverse up a steep hill however on any well loaded van, with what is still a fairly small engine, and it is possible to create judder, this is pretty normal on any van and should not create problems if you do not make a habit of it.

It happened last week when reversing on to a pitch which was fairly level and that was when I decided to get back to the dealer to check it out. If you are right it might be the flywheel that's the problem,but why was the clutch changed ?

On the 2.3 the flywheel is a good old fashion solid one, only way that would give problems if the van's not been used much (sleepy van syndrome ) and rust on surface or clutch stuck to it damaging clutch.

The mod included an updated clutch, I have a full list of the parts used on mod B, mod A was only engine mount change & software update that sometimes made it worse.

Might be worth checking the build date on the Fiat, should be able to do it with the vin number may have been built a year or so before the conversion & once built could have been in the dealers for a while. Could have come out of the Fiat factory before the mods were standard.

2008 2.3L 6 speed on a Maxi Chassis. Shortly after buying the vehicle I noticed judder in reverse. Contacted Fiat directly (as Lowdhams would have nothing to do with it).

Fiat arranged for me to take the vehicle to North East Truck and Van, a Fiat dealer in York. Mod 1 - replacement engine mounts, Mod 2 lower reverse gear ratio new clutch plates. Problem solved

That was hanging about a long time. You say you only brought it 2 months ago if it was from a dealer you should have redress on him. Once gearbox sorted I'd be looking at replacing the tyres could have been standing idle in a dealers for a couple of years or more.

I think I would be a bit miffed if I'd brought a 2010 van only to find out it's really a 2007.

Not very pleased myself when I was told.The dealer told me to take it to Fiat garage to get it checked so there is no problem with him .I changed the tyres after getting the van as they were dated 07.Going to garage tomorrow for them to drive it and see what needs to be done.

Archived