Went to buy a new Autosleeper Warwick XL today

Malo37

Guest Peter James
Malo37 - 2015-08-23 11:20 PM

But didn't.

Why not ?- quality quite good, layout what we want but at 6'1'' unable to get my knees under the steering wheel.

Why do they do that ??

Not sure what you mean.

The steering wheel can be raised and lowered - there is a little lever under it to release and clamp it.

Or are you saying the seat won't go far enough back because of something the converter has fitted behind it?

Correct. The drivers seat doesn't go back far enough because of the structure behind it. The only way I can operate the pedals is with my legs splayed at 90 degrees and using the side of my feet on pedals. What a pity for an otherwise great van conversion.

Our Warwick came with a drivers seat swivel base and removing that, as I have on every van I've ever had, made the driving position much more comfortable for me despite the kitchen unit restricting the seat sliding range. It also meant that I looked out of the windscreen without having to bend my neck and that alone makes a huge difference to driving comfort.

Your are right, drivers seat movement is often restricted by the structure behind it and many vans not just Autosleepers suffer from this design failing so, as ever, it pays to drive before you buy.

I do have to wonder about the intelligence and sanity of some designers at times, well most of the time actually, as it is all too evident that they often have no concept of the range of people that actually use their handiwork!

.....and here is the problem with rear lounge PVCs ......the wasted space at the cab end.

the cab accounts for about 1.5 m of a 6-6.5 m van, and to not use the cab seats to sit in (by far, the most comfortable seats in the van is a real shame.

why sit on a hopeless 'sofa' at the rear with a six jnch high backrest, when the cab seat can vary its backrest and its height, has armrests, the squab angle can be adjusted etc.....a truly supportive seat as opposed to something between a bench and a camp bed?

for a non fixed bed design, a front lounge, incorporating two proper seats, along woth a side sofa (to put your feet on) makes far better use of the space.....no imposing wardrobes right behind you......put these at the rear, out of the way and enjoy all that space up front, with somewhere comfotable to sit......and drive.

if IH made better use of their rear washroom, id be very tempted.....lovely lounge and kitchen.......

...then add in a swing down bed from the roof and youd have a proper PVC....

Interesting how people look at things differently. Our rear lounge PVC still has the facility to use the front swivelled seats with a small round table in between. We do use these seats sometimes but both prefer using the lounge settees as they are at a better height, much more comfortable with softer cushions, leg up lounging, rather than feet perched on something and a lowish backrest that allows you to lay your arm out comfortably on top. The other advantage is that we are in a lounge area rather than sitting in the cab of a panel van. The cab seats are more comfortable if sitting upright but we tend to sit with our feet up in the evening and the settees are better for this. Nice to have the choice. If you have a continental style van with a dinette you don't have this choice. You could sit up in bed I suppose but that is not so good, particularly if you have to clamber up into a transverse bed.

....both our cab seats swivel to allow full feet up lounging, resting our feet on the side seats which we have on both sides.....again, far, far more comfortable and supportive than a poorly designed (well its also a bed...) sofa.....

yes, we have a moveable swivel table, which works far better than we thought it might, allowing lounging, dining, resting a book, ipad etc.....and can be moved easily out of the way.....

we also have to 'clamber up' two steps to get into our full sized beds (two single, 2m long x 80cm wide....or a double 2m x 2.10m)....and they are comfortable because they are.....beds...not sofas.

however, they can also be used as sofas, both being well over six foot long, and have rising bed heads for sitting up when reading or having a morning cuppa....

one other advantage, we can also put our electric bikes out of sight and keep them dry when travellling....so works for us......

add in panaoramic views out, great for driving too.....just what we need for extended touring....a bit of real comfort....

Don636 - 2015-08-24 10:47 AM

Interesting how people look at things differently. Our rear lounge PVC still has the facility to use the front swivelled seats with a small round table in between. We do use these seats sometimes but both prefer using the lounge settees as they are at a better height, much more comfortable with softer cushions, leg up lounging, rather than feet perched on something and a lowish backrest that allows you to lay your arm out comfortably on top. The other advantage is that we are in a lounge area rather than sitting in the cab of a panel van. The cab seats are more comfortable if sitting upright but we tend to sit with our feet up in the evening and the settees are better for this. Nice to have the choice. If you have a continental style van with a dinette you don't have this choice. You could sit up in bed I suppose but that is not so good, particularly if you have to clamber up into a transverse bed.

Totally agree with Don and I have just ordered a smaller version of my PVC without the swivel option front seats. Basically the same space as the 6m unit I have now with out the Captains seat we rarely used.

I was about to order a Warwick XL and to my complete astonishment the sales man at a major dealers asked if I had sat in the drivers seat to make sure that I was happy with the position as the movement of the drivers seat was limited by the furniture. I owe that guy a drink as he saved me from buying the wrong Motorhome.

mike 202 - 2015-08-24 4:22 PM

I was about to order a Warwick XL and to my complete astonishment the sales man at a major dealers asked if I had sat in the drivers seat to make sure that I was happy with the position as the movement of the drivers seat was limited by the furniture. I owe that guy a drink as he saved me from buying the wrong Motorhome.

You cannot be serious!!

Are you REALLY telling us that you would spend over £50,000 on a vehicle without even sitting in the driver's seat or taking one for a drive - even more so when there was one even there waiting to be tested - crazy?

No wonder there are so many low mileage used vans in the dealers showrooms!

With respect - enough can be wrong or go wrong without inviting catastrophe and it's plumb crazy not to eliminate as many variables as you can before committing.

Given the dubious build quality and consistent failure of some converters to build vans to the specification ordered I would go one further - if it ain't in stock and I can't see it, check it, drive it before parting with my cash I am absolutely not interested in buying one 'off plan'!

Having looked at around 20 different vehicles, mainly van conversions It seems to me that Auto Sleeper is one of the better quality options. But the driver legroom issue combined with the experience of driving a Mercedes van conversion has completely put me off the Fiat/Peugeot base vehicle.

If Auto Sleeper did a Sprinter conversion then I would be very interested.

bolero boy - 2015-08-24 9:58 AM

if IH made better use of their rear washroom, id be very tempted.....lovely lounge and kitchen.......

...then add in a swing down bed from the roof and youd have a proper PVC....

Also looked at an IH 630 RL - great but put off by the Fiat part. As the man said 'remember you are basically driving a delivery van designed in 1990'

Guest Peter James
Malo37 - 2015-08-24 10:53 PM

Also looked at an IH 630 RL - great but put off by the Fiat part. As the man said 'remember you are basically driving a delivery van designed in 1990'

He must have been talking about a different van *-)

Tracker - 2015-08-24 4:32 PM

You cannot be serious!!

Are you REALLY telling us that you would spend over £50,000 on a vehicle without even sitting in the driver's seat or taking one for a drive - even more so when there was one even there waiting to be tested - crazy?

With respect - enough can be wrong or go wrong without inviting catastrophe and it's plumb crazy not to eliminate as many variables as you can before committing.

Given the dubious build quality and consistent failure of some converters to build vans to the specification ordered I would go one further - if it ain't in stock and I can't see it, check it, drive it before parting with my cash I am absolutely not interested in buying one 'off plan'!

Tracker,

I have obviously written my comments badly re the seating/salesman. The full story is that we (me+wife) had very carefully looked at the XL and decided that it was a front runner. So being carefull and being concerned about the low weight allowance difference between MIRO vs MTPL A/S agreed that to alleviate any worries about + or - the 5% Weighing my order at the factory. A test drive was also on my list as to ensure that we were happy with the Peaugeot base vehicle. I was merely agreeing with previous comments re driving position and had I been a newcomer to our way of life the totally unexpected sales comments would have saved me from making, as you point out, an expensive mistake.

Your comments although a little harsh do illustrate the point that great care should be taken when choosing a Motorhome. Most importantly use the head and NOT let the heart and rose tinted glasses make the decision to buy.

Regards Mike

Peter James - 2015-08-25 8:10 AM

He must have been talking about a different van *-)

It's often intentionaly confusing what a salesman will tell you when he wants to steer you towards a particular combination. Often based on stock, converter agency, profitability and commission levels. I have been there for most of my working life.

How you can relate the new F?P?C? vans to 1990's specifications I find wrong. Class 5 engines, far better MPG and complete redesign for the latest offerings. But even the Sprinter good as it is I am sure is still just a White van surely?

I may be a short type being only 5'.9" but have not found any problems fitting behind a Citroen relay steering wheel. The only problem is the seat back can not recline that much so you are unable to use the seat for any napping, something I am increasingly needing. So its back to the rear lounge and a comfortable full length single.

But why no mention of the Ford offering or Renault on here. Maybe its all down to cost first before badge?

O

Tracker - 2015-08-24 4:32 PM

You cannot be serious!!

Me neither, I want to see and touch the ACTUALvehicle I will be getting, NO advance ordering, for me. Ok that means no 'personalised' specification or 'first of the new models'. But I feel a lot safer with this 'Buying model'. Hasn't let me down yet.

Rayjsj - 2015-08-25 11:31 AM

I want to see and touch the ACTUALvehicle I will be getting, NO advance ordering, for me. Ok that means no 'personalised' specification or 'first of the new models'. But I feel a lot safer with this 'Buying model'. Hasn't let me down yet.

Me neither. Absolutely agree Ray.

Martyn

mike 202 - 2015-08-25 8:56 AM

I have obviously written my comments badly re the seating/salesman. The full story is that we (me+wife) had very carefully looked at the XL and decided that it was a front runner. So being carefull and being concerned about the low weight allowance difference between MIRO vs MTPL A/S agreed that to alleviate any worries about + or - the 5% Weighing my order at the factory. A test drive was also on my list as to ensure that we were happy with the Peugeot base vehicle. I was merely agreeing with previous comments re driving position and had I been a newcomer to our way of life the totally unexpected sales comments would have saved me from making, as you point out, an expensive mistake.

Your comments although a little harsh do illustrate the point that great care should be taken when choosing a Motorhome. Most importantly use the head and NOT let the heart and rose tinted glasses make the decision to buy.

Regards Mike

Apologies Mike, did not mean to be overly harsh, just that I found it hard to believe that anyone would splash out £54k on something without proof that it both works in general and specifically works for them.

So glad to read that you were not about to fall headlong into that chasm!!

The payload on our Warwick was good as is the Exeutive but I guess if you add a foot or so the the length of the van and then fill that foot with furnishings etc as in the XL it is bound to impact on payload inless you uprate the basic chassis to compensate?

I did not look at the wheelbase but if that too is extended beware of huge turning circles!

Rose tinted specs MUST remain at home whilst in buying mode!!

Good luck in your search.

I have to agree with the OP. The Warwick looks a great van conversion. I would have thought with it being on an extra long wheelbase Autosleepers would have allowed a bit more space for tall drivers. It`s the same on ours though. My husband is 5`10" and if he was any taller he wouldn`t be able to drive it because of the shower situated right behind the seat constricting the space.

Did you also try the bed? At 6`1" you definately need to check that out. 8-)

Curtisden - 2015-08-25 8:58 AM

Peter James - 2015-08-25 8:10 AM

How you can relate the new F?P?C? vans to 1990's specifications I find wrong. Class 5 engines, far better MPG and complete redesign for the latest offerings. But even the Sprinter good as it is I am sure is still just a White van surely?

Clunky gear change, vague steering (i.e. quarter turn and nothing happens- I understand now why some people fit the doorknob things to the steering wheel), terrible driving position, bouncy suspension. I know that 90% plus of motorhomes use F/P/C but not for me I'm afraid.

Malo37 - 2015-08-28 7:17 PM

Clunky gear change, vague steering (i.e. quarter turn and nothing happens- I understand now why some people fit the doorknob things to the steering wheel), terrible driving position, bouncy suspension. I know that 90% plus of motorhomes use F/P/C but not for me I'm afraid.

I do think that is a little unfair, if the great majority of motorhome and almost all PVC users were unhappy with the 3 F/P/C marks they would not be used for too long by Converters.

My Brother in Law has a Merc Sprinter white van which I travel in now and then. Its far from the luxury travel you allude too I think.

Your description of the drive bears little to resemblance to what I have driven.

In fact I am quite surprised how much better the class 5 engine are and the improvement in MPG is real.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2015-08-25 1:51 PM

I did not look at the wheelbase but if that too is extended beware of huge turning circles!

The turning circle of the longest X2/50 (L4) 6.3m is exactly the same as the shorter L3 (6m) because all the extra length is behind the rear axle which incidentally makes for better weight distribution.

Archived