Waste Tank Level indicator

Cliffy

Our waste water level keeps getting gunged up and indicates 0% full all the time. I thought that if I cut the leads to it and put male/female spade connectors in line I could just unplug it and take it in the house degrease it   to make it easier to clean, which it did but (there always is a but)  It now works but (another one) only reads 0% full or 100% full. There is no 50% reading as there used to be.

Could this be because the spade connectors are creating a resistance or is the level switch faulty? If I just twisted the wires together would that sort it. I haven't got much spare lead to play with.

I don't need it working as I know by how much fresh water I have used how full the waste tank is but I like to keep things right.

If your waste-water tank gauge can provide a 50%-full readout, I assume your removable level-sensor is 'probe-type', not a simple switch that could only warn when the tank was approaching full.

As long as the 0% and 100% readings are accurate, I can't see your use of connectors being the reason yuo've lost the 50% reading. If you want check the operation of the level-sensor, removing it and 'bridging' across the probes should reveal whether it's faulty.

Derek

The sensor is a float about 25mm long that pivots up and down. The grease makes it stick, usually in the down position (0% full). I have tried it outside the tank and I can't get it to read 50%.

The leads to the sensor are quite fine which led me to think that the line resistance may be important.

Cheers  Cliff

Cliffy - 2012-11-06 10:37 PM

Derek

The sensor is a float about 25mm long that pivots up and down. The grease makes it stick, usually in the down position (0% full). I have tried it outside the tank and I can't get it to read 50%.

The leads to the sensor are quite fine which led me to think that the line resistance may be important.

Cheers  Cliff

There are tank-content sensors with multiple 'float-switches'http://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/dtm4%20owners%20manual.pdfthat can provide a range of readouts, but I would expect the type of single pivoting sensor you've described to only provide one 'warning' readout when the switch in the sensor closes. The little pivoting Zig float-sensor on my Herald just switched on a control-panel warning light when the waste-tank was approaching full. Assuming that your motorhome has a similar arrangement, with the float-sensor in the side of the waste-tank towards the top, it's difficult to see how any sensor with a pivoting float only 25mm long (about the same size as the Zig product) could do more than provide a 'tank near full' readout, as the level of the tank contents at 50% full should be well below the float-sensor's position in the tank. Basically, the sensor would provide a 0% readout until the tank contents caused the float to pivot and close the sensor's switch, when the readout would change to 100%.I'm reluctant to suggest that your sensor is unable to provide a 50% readout, as you've said that it used to, but I did find this MHF thread that may be relevant: http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-63631-auto-trail-apache-700-waste-tank-full-lcd-reading.html

Archived