Video Journey Recorder

Barney123

Dave Newell - 2014-04-17 4:56 PM

I've just bought one of these for recording roadtest journeys in customers vehicles. HD quality, GPS location and tracking of journey plus G force recording for £38.99. I've been using it this week and I'm seriously impressed with it for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321110757069?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

D.

Have you tried it with a 32gb card and if so did it work?

Barney123 - 2014-04-16 9:02 PM

The Makro latest flier just came in today and its offering a "HD In-Vehicle Video Journey Recorder" for £19.99. Anyone out there got any views on the pro's and con's of it,

Is it worth it or is it £20.00 down the drain ??

Thanks

Link would be useful!!

No clips of note to upload as yet, racing this weekend and using it there so look out next week. So far I've used a 16GB SDHC Micro card and its worked fine. Records in AVI format in clips of several minutes but with no loss of recording between clips. It formats the memory card to its own format, not readable directly by PC but it also puts a small bit of software onto the card through which you can view the recorded files, this software also allows you to save the files to ypur PC hard drive and when viewing it can link to Google Earth when connected to internet to view the route taken. You will need a micro SD card reader as although the cam unit recharges via a USB connection it does not give PC access via USB.

D.

Dave - Are they in five minute segments or is the total videoed time in one length?

Whatever length or size of video you've filmed can be altered on WMM.

A five minute HD segment is probably around 445MB and can be trimmed to whatever size you want on WMM and then posted on Youtube.

:-o :-o :-o

Here's a 3 minute clip from yesterday on road test. If you go to full screen there is some compression artefacting evident but for the price its very good I think.

The software that comes with it can link to Google maps and display the journey recorded as long as GPS data was recorded, it also displays speed and time and GPS co-ordinates at the top of the viewer software.

D.

hi

These cameras are mint, they record what happens in front of you together with sound. I have a 32 gig card in mine and just let it continue to record. If something was to happen which I wanted to save then I just put the card into my computer and save whatever segments I want. Mine is set at 15 minute segments which is the largest for my particular device. Recommend for anyone travelling abroad, if something happens which is your fault you do not need to produce the video but on the other hand it could be useful.

Art

Bulletguy - 2014-04-17 8:33 PM

Dave Newell - 2014-04-17 6:49 PM

So far I've used a 16GB SDHC Micro card and its worked fine.

D.

Try a 32 in it. Though the spec on 99% of China Dash Cams state "up to 32gb" they invariably won't run on that and the max they take is 16gb.

We have probably tested over 30 of these Chinese made cameras and have not found one that will not work with a 32GB SD card. We have found several dodgy SD cards, particularly those from China. Now only use SD cards from a reputable supplier.

These cameras need an SD card of at least Class 6. The higher definition cameras work better on Class 10.

AliB - 2014-04-22 8:49 AM

Bulletguy - 2014-04-17 8:33 PM

Dave Newell - 2014-04-17 6:49 PM

So far I've used a 16GB SDHC Micro card and its worked fine.

D.

Try a 32 in it. Though the spec on 99% of China Dash Cams state "up to 32gb" they invariably won't run on that and the max they take is 16gb.

We have probably tested over 30 of these Chinese made cameras and have not found one that will not work with a 32GB SD card. We have found several dodgy SD cards, particularly those from China. Now only use SD cards from a reputable supplier.

These cameras need an SD card of at least Class 6. The higher definition cameras work better on Class 10.

Very good points. I've only used 8 and 16GB cards but the 8 GB will hold more hours of recording than I need so haven't bothered going bigger than 16GB, in fact I only got the 16s because the price difference for class 10 from 7dayshop compared to 8s was tiny. I see no need for big storage cards in these cameras. If an incident occurs that you need to save you'd do it pretty soon after the incident or just stop the cam recording any more footage surely? One useful feature of the cam I've now got is that if an event occurs that registers more tha 1.5G it automatically locks the currently recording video file so it can't be over written, mine did this twice over the weekend while racing 8-).

Sorry to the OP, I know nothing about the cam you were looking at so can't comment.

D.

Archived