Trumatic C EH heater and hot water system

56Rainbow

Hi All,

Please put me out of my misery! I think I'm a fairly technical type of girl but this Trumatic system has me baffled!

Please can anyone explain what the two dials are for?

Is it possible to have the heating on without heating hot water? If so where should the dials be?

I'm unsure when it is trying to work on gas and when on 240v

Before you ask, no I'm not blonde!! Although I can't seem to attach a photo of the dials!

Helen :$

Ah! the mysteries of the Trumatic diials.

Helen, I have swapped engines, gearboxes, rebuilt complex electronic boards and even mastered the Rubic Cube! But the Trumatic dials are very hard for me to understand.

First off, the symbols do not means what you think they mean. Oh no, they mean what it says in the manual.

So a gas flame symbol means two different things on the two dials. The dials need to be operated with the manual in your hand.

The heating will work from gas or electric. The water will heat up from gas or electric. The heating will work without the water heater. The heating will work from gas AND electric at the same time ( It heats up a lot quicker). The water will always heat up a bit when the heating is on.

When you master the dials you will think that the heating is not working, that is because it pre-heats before the fan comes on full blast, then it slows down as the temperature on the thermostat is approached and turns off.

So don't despair, read the manual carefully and all will be become, if not clear, at least a bit less confusing!

H

Helen

I remember seeing a Truma technician at an NEC Show trying to explain to someone how a C-6002EH functioned and the person’s eyes had glazed over almost immediately.

(I'll assume that you have Truma's Operating Instructions leaflet for your heater, or have downloaded the Instructions using the link flicka provided.)

Truma refers to the two rotary ‘dial’ switches as the “Control Panel” and the “Power Selector Switch”, and the simplest explanatory approach is initially to treat the dials completely separately.

Lets begin with the Control Panel...

The Control Panel switch is common to all Truma C-Series heaters. It switches the heater On or Off and allows selection of

‘Summer Mode’ – which causes the water to be heated to 40°C or 60°C, but does not turn on the blown-air fan.

‘Winter Mode A’ – blown-air heating, but water-heating does NOT take place when the blown-air fan is NOT running.

‘Winter-Mode B’ - blown-air heating, but water-heating (to 60°C) CONTINUES during periods when the blown-air fan has shut off.

Two things that need to be understood about Truma C-Series heaters – they can safely be operated empty of water and (as hallii says), when the heater contains water, the design and operating principles of the heater will cause the temperature of that water to be raised whichever ‘mode’ has been selected via the Control Panel.

If Summer Mode has been chosen the water will be heated as rapidly as the heater can do it.

If Winter Mode A has been chosen the water will be heated very slowly, as water-heating will only occur during the periods when blown-air heating is operating.

If Winter Mode B has been chosen the water will eventually reach 60°C, but this will take much longer than in Summer Mode as the air being blown through the heater will radically reduce the amount of heat that passes to the water.

So, to answer your first question, if you have selected Winter Mode A or B (and, of course, provided that there is actually water in the heater) there is no way to prevent the water from being heated to some degree as a result of the blown-air operation.

To use blown-air heating and minimise water-heating, you should select Winter Mode A, shown as a single flame on the Control Panel and marked as position “m” in the Control Panel section of the C-6002EH Operating Instructions.

Besides being an On/Off switch and Mode-selector, the Control Panel indicates (via orange, green or red LEDs) that the appliance is heating water, operating correctly, or a fault has occurred. The Control Panel is also used to control (via its rotary 1-9-marked switch) the ‘room temperature’ when Winter Mode A or B has been selected. The ‘room temperature’ is measured by a small remote thermostat and, consequently, the relationship between the actual temperature in a motorhome and the 1-9 number on the rotary switch may vary significantly according to where the motorhome manufacturer has positioned the thermostat.

On to the “Power Selector Switch”…

The clue is in the name – this 5-position switch allows you to select the type of ‘fuel’ that will power the heating operations. You can choose gas-only operation (the central single-flame position, marked “e” in the Power Selector Switch section of the C-6002EH Operating Instructions), 230V/900W operation (a single ‘wiggle’), 230V/1800W operation (a double ‘wiggle), or a mixture of gas + 230V/900W (flame + single wiggle) or of gas + 230V/1800W (flame + double wiggle).

If you select gas-only operation via the Power Selector Switch, then whichever ‘Mode’ you have chosen via the Control Panel will operate using gas alone.

If you select 230V (900W or 1800W) operation via the Power Selector Switch, then whichever ‘Mode’ you have chosen via the Control Panel will operate using 230V alone.

If you select ‘mixed' gas/230V operation via the Power Selector Switch, then whichever ‘Winter Mode’ you have chosen via the Control Panel will prioritise on 230V, using gas as well should this prove necessary (eg. if a high room temperature setting has been selected on the Control Panel, but 230V heating alone is unable to attain that temperature.) If “Summer Mode” has been selected, just 230V power will be employed to heat the water.

So the Power Selector Switch ‘rules of the road’ are…

1. If a 230V hook-up is NOT available, you’ll need to select gas-only operation via the Power Selector Switch.

2. If a 230V hook-up IS available, you can select 230V/900W or 230V/1800W operation using the hook-up’s mains power supply. A 4A hook-up mains supply will support the 900W option, while an 8A supply will be needed for 1800W heating.

3. Also, if a 230V hook-up IS available, you can select mixed gas + 230V/900W or mixed gas + 230V/1800W operation, and the same amperage requirements will apply.

In ‘mixed’ operation, when blown-air heating (Winter Mode) has been chosen via the Control Panel, a C-6002EH the heater can switch between 230V operation and 230V + gas operation. When, or if, it swaps between 230V operation and 230V + gas operation will depend on the room temperature that has been chosen via the Control Panel and the air temperature within the motorhome.

Hi Helen

We have had our motorhome for 2 years now and we have only just worked out how to use the heating and hot water system. We kept reading the manual and it confused the hell out of us with its winter and summer modes. We have worked it out as this:

On EHU - for hot water only - put the right hand dial on the single or double lightening. Put the left hand dial on 40 or 60

NO EHU - gas hot water - put the right hand dial on the single flame (one click down) and put your left hand dial or 40 or 60

On EHU - for elec heating - put your right hand dial on the twin lightening and your left hand dial on the single gas flame. Turn the central dial up to the number you require.

NO EHU - for gas heating - put your right hand dial on the flame and your left hand dial on the flame or the bottom one 60/flame. Turn the central dial up to the number you require.

The thing to remember is the right hand dial dictates what power source you use and the left hand dial dictates what you use it for, i.e. water or heating. When using the heating the central dial dictacts how hot you want the motorhome to be.

When you know, its simple really :-D

Our current van is "gas only",so we only have the one dial...but I still ended up typing out a small label showing the various switch positions/function..and sticking it just inside,on the "jam" of the adjacent locker.. :$

(..Our's is something along these lines,*I think*... )

Water only

---OFF

---Heating only

(water drained)

---Heating & Water

Even now,there's the odd occassion where something doesn't light/or a light doesn't come on as expected...Switching off...leaving it couple o' minutes and then creeping up on it usually works... (lol)

....and as for the various clicks and whirrs it make an..well it seems to make it's own mind on there... :-S

One additional thing I tend to do with "new" appliances and that's to photocopy the relevant(specific to you!) "How to use" page from the manual..and keep that somewhere to hand....it saves having to keep trawling through the full manual,with all the generic bumpf and it's "installation instructions" etc...

tugga - 2012-07-12 12:48 PM

...When you know, its simple really :-D

OK when a C-6002EH's controls are mounted 'horizontally' with the Control Panel on the left and the Power Selector Switch on the right. But there's no guarantee that's the order in which the controls will be mounted. In fact, my Hobby has them mounted 'vertically', one above the other with the Power Selector Switch uppermost.

For what it's worth, my C-6002EH has a peculiarity that may be specific to my heater or may be common to the breed. This is that, if the Control Panel switch is moved rapidly between Modes, the Panel may sometimes show a red 'fault' light. I don't think this actually causes the heater to shut down but, when it happens, I just 'reboot' the thing by switching it off and back on, so I can't swear to its effect. I've never had it happen when I've moved the Control Panel Switch slowly and deliberately, so it's possible that the heater's electronics become 'confused' if they are asked to react hurriedly (rather like me nowadays!)

Omly to add that the Tuma unit can get confused (suffers from Trauma :-D ) and needs to be switched off then on again at the main control board (that controls the m/home electrics)

Rgds

Took too long to reply !! The reply above says it all !

A ‘gas-only’ Trumatic C-Series heater is controlled by a "CONTROL PANEL".

The Control Panel has 5 switch-positions allowing (top to bottom):

• Water to be heated to 60°C

• Water to be heated to 40°C

• Heater “OFF”

• Air to be heated to a chosen temperature

• Air to be heated to a chosen temperature AND water to be heated to 60°C

The Control Panel also has a rotary 1-9 ‘room temperature’ dial relating to air heating, and 3 indicator lights - green (heater working OK), red (heater fault) or orange (water heating up).

A Trumatic C-6002EH appliance can employ 230V power for air/water heating, as well as (or instead of) using gas. Operation using 230V power and/or gas is chosen via a second control-unit called the "POWER SELECTOR SWITCH".

The Power Selection Switch has 5 switch-positions allowing (top to bottom):

• Heating using 230V (1800W)

• Heating using 230V (900W)

• Heating using just gas

• Heating using a combination of 230V (900W) and gas

• Heating using a combination of 230V (1800W) and gas

The Power Selector Switch also has a yellow light that indicates when the heater is operating using 230V.

Archived