Touring in Scotland - do we need to book?

multiplamum

We have never toured in the UK and wondered if it is necessary to book sites in Scotland in advance in June/early July. We toured northern France in July, August and September last year but and never had a problem but there were aires in every town and village. I assume it is more difficult to find places in Scotland?

June should be no problem at all, July you might be heading into school Holidays, we last overlapped first week of scottish school holidays when going to cape wrath and whilst it was busy, we still had no problems.

If you're in a motorhome it shouldn't be a big problem to 'wild camp' if needed.

Sites in the remoter areas can be quite far apart and we do tend to book ahead when planning trips.

We spent 10 nights on the island of Barra earlier this May. The site had about 18 pitches with hookups and while it was quiet most of the time there were two nights when it was full and two MHs that turned up on spec had to move off pitches with hookup to allow pre-booked MHs onto them.

For planning trips in Scotland I can recommend the map published by 'Scottish Camping DOT com' it gives a very good idea of the locations distances between sites and there are also on-line links to reviews.

Dave

Our many trips around Scotland have usually been in May / June time and we've never booked anything yet.

Only once failed to get on a site and that was a CC site next to a golf course on the east coast - all there for the golf presumably.

;-)

We've just come back from Scotland and some of the CC sites were fully booked at the week ends as were some we stopped at on the way up. Having said that May is always popular for Scotland to avoid the midges. We as ever booked back in December. I'd book if I were you, it will do no harm and will ensure you get the sites you want. Keep your fuel tank full and keep well stocked up with food. Filling places and shops can be a bit thin on the ground in some arears.

malc d - 2015-05-24 2:50 PM

Our many trips around Scotland have usually been in May / June time and we've never booked anything yet.

Only once failed to get on a site and that was a CC site next to a golf course on the east coast - all there for the golf presumably.

;-)

If it's the site I think you mean it's always full at the weekends. A cost of a round on the courses there is so high that not many campers go for the golf. Most use five star hotels or have their own houses up there.

Colin Leake - 2015-05-24 6:56 PM

;-)

If it's the site I think you mean it's always full at the weekends. A cost of a round on the courses there is so high that not many campers go for the golf. Most use five star hotels or have their own houses up there.

I've just checked - and it's the CC site at Brora.

( Certainly won't be going there again )

;-)

malc d - 2015-05-24 7:34 PM

Colin Leake - 2015-05-24 6:56 PM

;-)

I've just checked - and it's the CC site at Brora.

( Certainly won't be going there again )

;-)

The one I was thinking of is Yellow Craig at North Berwick. The Archer Golf Club which is adjacent is I understand the most expensive and exclusive in the UK. Did you go round the distillery at Brora. We were up there once and overnight it was so windy every caravan that had an awning up lost it!

I'd say book a few days ahead if you know where you want to be, but don't worry too much unless you really want electrics - the sites with limited hook-ups tend to fill them, especially at weekends. Though Rosemarkie C & CC site, where we are now has recently added electrics to many of the standard pitches so they've space at the moment. This is the one site we used to have trouble getting on if I forgot to book early enough. Dunbar site was busy but not full coming up to bank holiday and neither is Rosemarkie and it's now half term so may all quieten down even more into June.

We love Scotland, and usually come up twice a year, in May/June and September/October to avoid the midges. The weather of course is varied - today we've had rain, very heavy rain, high winds and, occasionally, bright warm sunshine. Bring ALL your clothes.

Hi, personal advice in the light of our experience, always adviseable to book the ones where you definitely want to stay, and be prepared to arrive there and find that you really didnt need to..

it is called sods law..

if you dont have a booking, the law always says, sorry we are fully booked, you should have made a booking yourself..

As others have said, remember to keep the tanks full and fridge topped up, and dont forget a very big wallet in remoter areas as diesel prices on west coast are significantly higher than nearer civilisation. Calor is also higher prices .

depending on time of year, a few gallons of midge repellent will be useful...

Enjoy your trip .

tonyg3nwl

Archived