Toilet flush problem

kevandali

First of all I would like to say a belated happy new year to everyone, not been on the site for ages.

The problem I have is as follows.

My old camper had a separate small top up tank for flushing the tolet and you could see via a sight glass tube if it needed topping up.

I used to use the pink smelly stuff to add to the flush.

In the new van that is a swift suntor 630 the flush comes directly from the main storage tank which I suppose saves you topping up two different tanks but the flush is obviously clear water only.

I add the blue stuff to the cassette but how do I now get a nice smelling flush as there is no where to add the liquid.

Do I have to resort to some sort of smelly that clips to the toilet rim?

Anybody else overcome the same problem at all?

Cheers

Kevandali

I personally wouldn't use anything in the flush water. Because when you empty the cassette in the bushes, it's not very environmentally friendly. Some sites with a septic tank don't like it either, as it kills the bacteria that breaks down the faeces.

peter - 2008-01-11 7:29 PM

I personally wouldn't use anything in the flush water. Because when you empty the cassette in the bushes, it's not very environmentally friendly. Some sites with a septic tank don't like it either, as it kills the bacteria that breaks down the faeces.

I take it this is a joke post.

Bas

kevandali:

I believe the possible answers to your questions are:

1. Use a rim-mounted 'smelly' product of the type you mention.

2. Use a spray as suggested by Globetrotter.

3. Do nothing.

Despite Thetford's claims, I don't think adding an agent like Aqua-Rinse to the toilet flush water offers genuine benefits or value for money (I never found it did during the time I used to use it) and, at one stage, there were reports that it encouraged algae growth in the flush tank. However, I doubt very much that it would have any adverse effect on septic tanks, plants or marine life. (Received wisdom is that one should always empty your toilet cassette on the rocks at the seaside when the tide is about to go out.) B-) B-) B-)

Chemicals intended for use in the toilet cassette itself, particularly those containing formaldehyde (and there still seem to be some of these on sale), can damage a septic tank's eco-system. Thetford's Aqua Kem Green is supposed to be septic-tank safe, but it's safest to use no chemicals at all.

Probably the best solution is to fit the SOG toilet ventilation system, as this removes the need for cassette chemicals and ensures that no toilet odours waft their way into the bathroom from the cassette's interior. I don't recall that Aqua Rinse, in the dilution recommended by Thetford, was particularly fragrant (and I've got a good sense of smell): if you like the scent of lavender, why not just hang a bunch of it up in the bathroom.

On a somehat related topic, I've always considered 'special' toilet paper for leisure-vehicle cassette toilets a waste of money, though I know plenty of people buy it. The SOG system claims to remove the need for special toilet paper, but I never used it even before I fitted a SOG and never experienced any cassette clogging problems. The main potential 'advantage' of special paper, as far as I can see, is that the diameter of the roll is smaller than the normal household product's, allowing it to fit in the toilet-roll storage compartment of traditional Thetford bench models. However, many supermarkets offer narrower-than-standard rolls that will also fit that compartment.

Basil - 2008-01-12 8:57 AM

Bas

No I have seen him do it,,, (lol)

Guest Tracker
panagah - 2008-01-12 10:22 AM

Basil - 2008-01-12 8:57 AM

Bas

No I have seen him do it,,, (lol)

It's only offensive to those who watch you do it, so the secret is to do it when nobody is watching then if nobody knows nobody's delicate senses are offended! Simple eh!

To keep a clean pan spray it with 'Back to Black' or similar product which has silicone lubricant in it, when it is clean and dry. Nothing much will stick to that stuff, so a flush with plain water should do the trick with out anything added to the flush. One little point.......don't get any on the shower tray or it will become dangerouisly slippery. As a bonus it also keeps the shutter blade free and easy...........

To keep a clean pan spray it with 'Back to Black' or similar product which has silicone lubricant in it, when it is clean and dry. Nothing much will stick to that stuff, so a flush with plain water should do the trick with out anything added to the flush. One little point.......don't get any on the shower tray or it will become dangerouisly slippery. As a bonus it also keeps the shutter blade free and easy...........

Globetrotter - 2008-01-11 6:11 PM

I have the earlier Thetford myself, but a friend who has one like yours keeps a small plant spray bottle in his bathroom filled with pink fluid and water to use before and after the toilet is used. He reckons it works a treat!

Second that, works for us.

The real pain is that if you drain the water out of the system that has no header tank,, (a good thing in sub zero temps,) is that you are loo-less. or at least flushless.

We always carry a filled fire bucket to flush, but water tends to come out on the fast corners. (lol)

rgds

Archived