Solar panel and the cigarette socket

spike

Hi,

Just purchased a solar panel for trickle charging the battery which includes a cigarette lighter plug which would be very convenient. Unfortunately, the cigarette lighter socket is only active with the ignition on. Would it be much of a job to alter this so that it remains on when the ignition is off?

The vehicle is the Fiat Ducato 2004.

Hi,

Ducato 2004. There is a very easy way to do this by removing a fuse and a relay in the fuse box left hand side of dashboard. You then bridge one of the relay sockets to the fuse socket with a fused link. Unfotunately I cannot remember the details of the top of my head. A search of the forums should find, or indeed the internet. I shall see if I can find if someome else does not beat me to it. Failing that, I will work it amd post. Another way is just to disconnect the positve feed to the cigar socket and wire via a fuse to the battery positive or batt+ on ignition switch.

Apologies I am not being very helpful immediately just now in actually finding info for you.

Jon.

Found it quicker than expected...not sure how much sense it will make to you though .......

"Brambles - 2009-05-17 1:30 PM

Okay doky, for 2002/06 ducato

An easier method, have not checked on vehicle yet, is to remove the appropriate relay and short out the sockets for terminal numbers 30 and 37. TO1 is for the Aux socket, and T12 for the cigar lighter socket. This then makes use of existing fuses.

If anyone tries this do test 1st with a small fuse in series or a light bulb, just in case you make an error.

Update in case anyone is trying this on 2002 on model.

Left side of dash fuse box. T12 relay is for the Aux power socket (right side of central pocket) and the relay also powers the heater fan. So mod for that one has to be done by removing fuse F44 and linking bottom of it and link via new fuse holder to top of fuse 36 or 62.

For the cigar socket it is relay T01 and it can be linked across terminals 80 and 37. As far as I can tell nothing else is powerd by this relay.

Position of relays and labels to NOT match the ids on rear of fuse panel cover. T12 is top second from left position. T01 is relay 3rd from left position.

This was checked on a 2003 2.0 JTD. "

Brambles, you are clearly a man who knows things!

I have one of these small solar panels to keep my starter battery topped up when not in regular use.

I have an 08 Ducato, which has a ciggy lighter and a 12v socket side by side. It seems to work whether plugged in to either, but I have no way of knowing this.

Is there any way to check this with a multimeter?

Thanks

alan b

Should I post this as a separate thread? don't want to hijack someone else's query.

On a similar theme, I've been thinking that a freestanding solar panel would be preferable to a roof mounted panel, if I could just plug it in to a socket either adjacent to the mains hook-up, or just inside the back doors. I've seen a few people on sites using a small panel, and been impressed. We mostly stay on sites, or France Passion, so I'm not too worried about security.

Alan,

You can use the multimeter ti check for current flowing into the socket, or if you can measure volts on panel (ove 14 volts) and then connect and you should see the volts drop as the battery pulls it down.

I shall leave you to figure out logist

ics of actually doing this in practice with odd bits of wire etc.

Another way woudl be tio let the battery settle to 12.8 volts for a couple of hours, connect panel and check volts on battery rises very slighty. All this assumes a sunny day of course!!!!

Now what was the other thing you menioned...erm....ahhhh yes external socket. Sounds like a good idea to fit a 12 volt connection point somehwre externally if you have mobile portable panels.

You can get weather proof low voltage connectors and a search should turn up a few. Look using google for marine or boat 12 volts connectors and should find some good ones hopefully.

If I remember in morning I shall have a search.

(Not convinced 2008 ducato has live cigar and aux sockets though!!! Check for 12 volts on them with ignition off.

Don't worry , your not hijacking the thread, its all relelated. I am sure spike (OP) will not mind.

Brambles - 2012-03-04 12:14 AM

(Not convinced 2008 ducato has live cigar and aux sockets though!!! Check for 12 volts on them with ignition off.

maybe I'll try selling the small solar panel at a carboot

cheers

alan b

Ooooops! just stuck my "Ring" Battery Tester in both sockets ..and Nothing!!

Well

Brambles - 2012-03-03 9:14 PM

Found it quicker than expected...not sure how much sense it will make to you though .......

"Brambles - 2009-05-17 1:30 PM

Okay doky, for 2002/06 ducato

An easier method, have not checked on vehicle yet, is to remove the appropriate relay and short out the sockets for terminal numbers 30 and 37. TO1 is for the Aux socket, and T12 for the cigar lighter socket. This then makes use of existing fuses.

If anyone tries this do test 1st with a small fuse in series or a light bulb, just in case you make an error.

Thanks for that, its appreciated. Unfortunately, as my van is in storage I went down there and connected the panel direct to the battery before getting your reply. The next opportunity I get I will have a go in doing the mod. Will let you know how I get on, though it could be a couple of weeks or so.

Regards

Spike

• 1 month later...

Archived