Sliding doors - an answer?

Tracker

Oh so sorry Colin - I must have missed it last year - but then again as so many things get discussed interminably one more should quickly fade away virtually un-noticed!

I saw the IH van yesterday and I thought that it look OK but very different which in itself might take a bit of getting used to.

The GRP panel and frame work blended very well with the steel van and with the sliding door rail gone it does kinda make the van look more like a caravan than a load lugger especially with the door open - although I am not entirely convinced!

I can't say that I am enamoured by the German version either but both have their pros and cons I guess, as subjective beauty is - or is not - in the eye of the beholder!

But both are easier to open and close when parked on a slope!

And then there is the cost !!

Exactly, I wouldn't think the structural integrity of a door within a door, nor the doubling of rubber seals is such a great idea, probably lots of drafts and rattles eventually. Loved our IH, and in many ways still wished we had it.

To my eye, it's just the way IH have gone about it, rather than an issue over the door's width..and/or furniture encroachment..

We see plenty of homemade ..*cough* .."conversions" on festival 'sites and many of them have involved grafting in/on an old caravan door... and unfortunately, this IH has the same "look" about it..

The old Fiat/Talbot etc vans used to be available with twin hinged side doors, so I wonder why IH couldn't have just replicated a single door version of them..?

A sliding door with one of the generally available aftermarket intermediate door-stops would do me (especially if it had the Pössl/Globecar "softclose door as well).

The option of having all the advantages of the fully-open side door, with the ability to protect the kitchen bit from draughts if required. ;-)

I have always thought the best bit about a PVC was the big sliding door, at least with the German option you get to keep it.

The only PVC that has ever appealed to us is the Font-Vendome Mondea . When we were deciding on the Exsis we were tempted but decided we couldn't live with the space restrictions of a PVC, would have been 25k better off if we had. (lol)

I've found only the EuroCarry one (which is difficult to source except in Germany, and I can't find anyone who readily ships to the UK), or the Stopsy, detailed at the end of the above link, who do at least deliver to the UK, but it will cost around £35 (Paypal) delivered. (though it looks quite a nice solution to me, assuming it works).

http://www.wohnmobil-caravan-zubehoer-shop.buy-box.de/Tuerstopper-Kastenwagen-Stopsy:::1.html

Robinhood - 2015-01-28 1:43 PM

I've found only the EuroCarry one (which is difficult to source except in Germany, and I can't find anyone who readily ships to the UK), or the Stopsy, detailed at the end of the above link, who do at least deliver to the UK, but it will cost around £35 (Paypal) delivered. (though it looks quite a nice solution to me, assuming it works).

http://www.wohnmobil-caravan-zubehoer-shop.buy-box.de/Tuerstopper-Kastenwagen-Stopsy:::1.html

Looking at those links again, doesn't the EuroCarry item just act as a permanent stop? (ie it just shortens the door run?).

Whereas with the Stopsy, you can see how it just interrupts the travel and retains it there, until it's pushed through it..

It looks easy enough to make...

I like the sliding door and the opening rear doors as they feel great when opened up on a nice day.

I does take a bit of practice to open and shut from the inside but not really a problem, although it is for my wife, but then that's what husbands are for.

The sliding door is not so good when it is raining but, for me, the positives out weigh the negatives. We have a large plastic welly boot tray from Lakeland inside the door so we step onto that to take boots or shoes off so no mess inside. We can then transfer onto a plastic tray in the rear boot through an access hatch if necessary.

To keep the sliding door open I use one of these dimpled rubber tow ball covers that I had left over from our caravan days -works a treat. I keep it wedged flown between the passenger seat and side panelling to the LHS of the door so easily to hand.

I don't really like the look of the caravan door conversion and it is very expensive. Is a sliding door really that much of a problem? If you are going to go down this route and include a rear fixed panel as well to make your van look and feel more like a coachbuilt, why not just buy one of the new slim coachbuilts instead?

"why not just buy one of the new slim coachbuilts instead"

Mmmmm, good point. ;-)

Not so much Fiat metal body to rust away either, one of the main reasons our IH went, :-(

Well I don't agree with Tracker's original question, and the suggestion is pretty cumbersome I think.

I seem to recall a Dutch company marketing an electrically powered door last time this thread appeared.

In my opinion, the sliding door is one of the main positives about a PVC. But you have to make the most of it, and use it with enthusiasm!

For us, that means not building furniture, sinks, ovens etc in front of it.

We have a "lobby" where we can sit in a couple of chairs looking out over the scenery.

There are times when I don't feel so positive; when it's raining, blowing, or we are closer to our neighbours than ideal. In those circumstances the sliding door does feel a bit too big.

I also feel self-conscious slamming it in the evenings.

A couple of years ago on a site in France I think I saw an Autotrail or Autosleeper,some uk mainstream PVC that had solved the problem.

Their slider did just that, all by itself and under electrical power.

The door closed beautifully! silently and effortlessly I still want one.

I can't see the appeal of a conventional "skinny" caravan door in a slider.I can imagine it being pretty difficult to step in and out over a threshold. (and if you are going to have a "proper" door why have such a narrow one; even I would have to go sideways through it!)

Maybe a pair of "French Doors" just like the back doors of a van would be a possibility?

regards

alan b

As a Coachbuilt owner, who often parks next to PVC's, I would welcome either of the 'Non Sliding' doors on a conversion, as they wouldn't need to be slammed so bloody hard to close them.

When already pitched , I dread it when a PVC moves in alongside me, when I come on site I try to avoid them. Nothing personal, I just hate the Slam,Slam, Slam all the time. I think a 'Softclose' system should be mandatory on ALL PVC's . When looking at a VW Autosleeper Topaz the other day, I was suprised to note that it had such a system as standard ! Just what the neighbours wanted !

ps WHY does it always seem to take 2 Slams to close a sliding door ?

Ray

malc d - 2015-01-28 6:58 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-01-28 6:36 PM

ps WHY does it always seem to take 2 Slams to close a sliding door ?

Ray

' cos they're airtight.

;-)

'cos they're designed and built for a much abused delivery van not a classy camper!!

maggyd - 2015-01-28 1:16 PM

I like the ability to have the door wide open when its hot outside, but would like to get hold of one of those door stops. Does anyone know where you get them from and are they easy to fit?

Having just converted to a PVC we were looking for a solution to keeping the door part open. Tried all sorts of ingenious ideas (I do,have a well equipped metal work shop). Eventually purchased perfect solution from our local hardwear shop in Paddock Wood. It's a very small rubber door stop that simply sits inside the top channel where ever you want to stop the door. Quick to put in and remove. I've got two now in case we misplace one. Not cheap at just shy of £1 each but well worth it in my opinion. I can't help wondering just what sort of a door one would use such a small door stop on.

If you want one I would suggest trying any small independent hardware shop. The sheds defiantly don't sell them,

Or there are a lot of weaklings around, never had to slam ours more than once. :D

and only as loud as cab doors slamming in any event, or your dogs barking, or your tvs blaring...............get a life some of you folk. ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-01-28 4:31 PM

"why not just buy one of the new slim coachbuilts instead"

Mmmmm, good point. ;-)

Not so much Fiat metal body to rust away either, one of the main reasons our IH went, :-(

Simply because most use the standard ruddy great wide Fiat mirrors so effectively are no slimmer than standard CBs. Fiat body panels are galvanised and don't seem to suffer from rust.

Archived