Second gang of AP7 motorway robbers arrested.

BGD

Guest Peter James

I didn't think the papers could say they were guilty until they were convicted?

Wouldn't that prejudice a fair trial if the public had been already told they were guilty?

If they were found not guilty couldn't they sue for libel?

Peter James - 2012-12-24 1:50 PM

I didn't think the papers could say they were guilty until they were convicted?

Wouldn't that prejudice a fair trial if the public had been already told they were guilty?

If they were found not guilty couldn't they sue for libel?

But UK law doesn't apply in Spain. It's the Spanish legal system that applies here.

Only "the second Gang arrested"?????

Wow !!! BIG DEAL !!! *-)

What happened to the thousands of other gangs left roaming free on a daily basis which the Police do sweet FA about other than watch from the sidelines? *-)

It's a National Sport there!

After viewing a documentary last week on Spains 'financial woes', what little sympathy I had left flew out of the window.

nowtelse2do - 2012-12-24 4:47 PM

The way things are going in this country we could do with some of that Spanish justice here, ole.

Eastern Europeans, next year our borders are open even wider to them than what they are now *-)

Dave

Dave.......re "Eastern Europeans" you couldn't be further from the real truth.

Thats where all my touring is. Wild camped in remote tiny village areas in both Romania and Bulgaria where the 'locals' are mostly Gypsies (the sort which every Brit tells you are 'dangerous'). Poppycock! Leave them alone and they leave you alone. Ask them for help and they will give you help. Most are 'dirt poor'.......but they won't ever rob you. Never.

I spend my money in countries where the folk are warm and welcoming.

Why else would I keep going back to Eastern Europe?

Bulletguy - 2012-12-24 11:20 PM

Only "the second Gang arrested"?????

Wow !!! BIG DEAL !!! *-)

What happened to the thousands of other gangs left roaming free on a daily basis which the Police do sweet FA about other than watch from the sidelines? *-)

It's a National Sport there!

After viewing a documentary last week on Spains 'financial woes', what little sympathy I had left flew out of the window.

Yes, the second entire gang within the LAST TWO WEEKS.

You really don't let the facts get in the way of rampant bigotry, eh?

You suffered a distraction theft in Spain a while ago.

That was a shame, but in truth it was largely because you really failed to take the most basic of common sense precautions.

You lost a lot of cash and cards etc, that was also because you failed to take the most rudimentary of precautions with them.

You then slagged off all the Police here, because they didn't all speak your foreigner language; so now it seems you have it in for this entire country of 44 million people. Forever, and regardless of facts or logic or common sense.

Paul, you ranted back then about the Police "not doing anything" about the thieves.

Now they catch two entire gangs of them, but rather than giving them credit, you instead now simply invent a claim of "thousands of other gangs". That is patently utter rubbish.

I can only point you towards European crime statistics, which show Spain as actually having one of the very lowest reported crime rates of any European country. Much lower than, for example, the UK.

I can only hope you never leave anything lying around in plain sight to get nicked in the UK, or indeed in Poland or Bulgaria or Romania etc........'cos I think you might find to your cost that not all the citizens of those countries are the angels that you seem to believe them to be.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2012-12-24 10:29 PM

It's probably a lot safer there........ as all the local "Tea Leaves" have gone West for richer pickings ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-12-25 9:51 AM

It's probably a lot safer there........ as all the local "Tea Leaves" have gone West for richer pickings ;-)

Pro-active 'policing' Pelmet. They don't f**k around sunbathing.

Hi,

I do find it very strange when these sorts of crime against tourists have been going on in Spain for years and years, and we are supposed to all jump with joy because they have supposedly arrested 2 groups in the last few weeks ?

You quote that Spain has one of the lowest crime rates, can you tell me the percentage off these low rates are made against tourists as it would be very interesting to see a breakdown, as there do seem to be lots of reports of crimes (which may be petty) reported by tourists

Also do you have and figurers relating to prosecution/reports for these type of flag down incidents around the AP7 as I would have thought it must be relatively high to warrant a major report in the first place.

As for Spain itself we keep hearing from expats that its the best place in world, and Spain is so much better for everything, but most of them still maintain there British passports and when things go wrong they seem to end up back here, if the UK is so bad, can you explain why they do this ?

No one seems to have thanked BGD-Bruce for his updates on Spain, especially this one as at least we can gain some confidence that the spanish police are taking some notice of the problem.

Having travelled on the AP7 several times and had no problems, we have met other who have been robbed so now avoid the area and now use the Viehla/Somport tunnels. Maybee sometime in the future we will try the coastal route again.

So thank you from Mike and have a good 2013 and please keep us informed.

Syd - 2012-12-26 10:29 AM

Seven years visiting Spain for two three month spells each year and have NEVER had the slightest problem, always found the police and the public to be helpful, polite and cheerful now lets examine FRANCE in comparison

Well I've had a problem and spoke to two couples as recently as last November who were confronted by the scumbags on the toll free section around Barcelona.

When I was attacked in around 2007 ( I didn't stop) I couldn't understand why the "attackers" were driving such a nice car (an Audi A6) but see from the article that they use rental vehicles meaning that their robberies must be reasonably lucrative. A couple of days after my attack I spoke to a Dutch couple who had their passports and cash stolen along with credit cards also on the A7. I also know of a couple towing a caravan in an open air car and the attackers physically tried to remove them. These attacks are not uncommon so it's about time the Police did something about it.

I have used the road several times since my incident but always stay alert to the possibility of an attack by pulling in front of a large HGV and cruise just in front so as to avoid the attacks which always come from the rear.

The golden rule is don't stop.

nowtelse2do - 2012-12-24 4:47 PM

The way things are going in this country we could do with some of that Spanish justice here, ole.

Eastern Europeans, next year our borders are open even wider to them than what they are now *-)

Dave

Dave.......re "Eastern Europeans" you couldn't be further from the real truth.

Thats where all my touring is. Wild camped in remote tiny village areas in both Romania and Bulgaria where the 'locals' are mostly Gypsies (the sort which every Brit tells you are 'dangerous'). Poppycock! Leave them alone and they leave you alone. Ask them for help and they will give you help. Most are 'dirt poor'.......but they won't ever rob you. Never.

I spend my money in countries where the folk are warm and welcoming.

Paul, like everywhere else there's good and bad, but it does look like once they are out of their own countries everyone and everything is a target to them. Perhaps they don't target their own in their own country knowing what the repercussions might be.

Dave

Maybe the Guardia Civil for the costas to the south are more use than the Mossos d'Esquadra who are the police for Catalonia and cover the Autopista round Barcelona. We have suffered three attempted robberies along there, but know what to do to stop them succeeding. The stones they throw at your vehicle do minor damage but that is all we have had in over 25 years of following that route.

I believe they do round them up now and again but they are soon released to continue their nasty habits. That is the price we pay for democracy I suppose.

mike 202 - 2012-12-26 11:19 AM

No one seems to have thanked BGD-Bruce for his updates on Spain, especially this one as at least we can gain some confidence that the spanish police are taking some notice of the problem.

Having travelled on the AP7 several times and had no problems, we have met other who have been robbed so now avoid the area and now use the Viehla/Somport tunnels. Maybe sometime in the future we will try the coastal route again.

So thank you from Mike and have a good 2013 and please keep us informed.

What makes you feel the need to 'avoid it'?

What would persuade you from a 'maybe sometime' to a most definitely will use it?

braunston - 2012-12-26 12:09 PM

Hi,

I do find it very strange when these sorts of crime against tourists have been going on in Spain for years and years, and we are supposed to all jump with joy because they have supposedly arrested 2 groups in the last few weeks ?

You quote that Spain has one of the lowest crime rates, can you tell me the percentage off these low rates are made against tourists as it would be very interesting to see a breakdown, as there do seem to be lots of reports of crimes (which may be petty) reported by tourists

Also do you have and figurers relating to prosecution/reports for these type of flag down incidents around the AP7 as I would have thought it must be relatively high to warrant a major report in the first place.

As for Spain itself we keep hearing from expats that its the best place in world, and Spain is so much better for everything, but most of them still maintain there British passports and when things go wrong they seem to end up back here, if the UK is so bad, can you explain why they do this ?

Know what?

No.

I simply cannot be arsed any more. You can research yet further for everyone else instead.

If people don't want to come to Spain because they still refuse to believe that crime rates in the UK and most other countries are substantially higher, cannot grasp that a few reports don't equate to an ginormous nationwide crime wave and can't be bothered to do even some basic research themselves to correct their misunderstanding of the facts, then just don't come here.

BGD - 2012-12-27 10:54 AM

Know what?

No.

I simply cannot be arsed any more. You can research yet further for everyone else instead.

If people don't want to come to Spain because they still refuse to believe that crime rates in the UK and most other countries are substantially higher, cannot grasp that a few reports don't equate to an ginormous nationwide crime wave and can't be bothered to do even some basic research themselves to correct their misunderstanding of the facts, then just don't come here.

I'm with you on this Bruce.

I cannot understand the negativity following your posting of the good news that another gang preying on tourists has been put out of 'business'?

Whilst we too have the option to live in Spain, we prefer to live in the UK, for all it's faults. I can well see the attractions of sunny and peaceful (well mainly!) Spain as a place to live full time and I wish all that make the move the very best of luck.

Perhaps when this country is perfect we might be better placed to criticise other countries?

We never feel unsafe in Spain but when we do visit the warmer climes it is good to know that the risks are getting even lower.

That does not mean one can afford to be cavalier in one's approach to safety and security - the same in any other country of the world - including the UK.

Meanwhile I for one appreciate Bruce and Kathy's input to this forum as they provide us 'foreigners' with a valuable insight into Spanish law and customs.

Happy New Year Bruce and Kathy - thanks for your efforts.

Well we'll be coming down on 8th Jan looking for some sun and are happy that the risks have been reduced by the police nicking a gang. If they have caught 2 in the last few weeks does this not imply more positivity?

Tell them to keep nicking the bandits for at least 2 weeks then we'll be safer driving down!

What I feel happens is that because people are on holiday, common sense seems to stay at home as well. If you leave articles of value on show in your vehicle/on your person anywhere in the world, they will disappear with the opportunist thief. If you get flagged down by an unmarked car (assuming you have been watching your sides and behind en route) treat it with caution and don't stop. You would be able to see smoke if you're on fire- for anything else it will wait until it is safe to examine in detail.

Thanks for the update Bruce

Mike

Archived