Rapido 746F (Ducato X250) Spare Wheel Carrier

ebbaga

Hello,

has anybody fabricated a structure to take a FIAT spare wheel carrier to fit between the front and rear wheels of a Ducato X250?

I have seen the post on this forum relating to an ALKO chassis but am interested if anybody has done anything similiar on the FIAT chassis.

I am also aware of the recall on the FIAT carriers...

The carrier fits between the rear wheels. I picked up a new one, but annoyingly, although the (redesigned) carrier fits fine, the winding mechanism is fouled by the chassis extension on my Dethleffs.

There shouldn't be any need to fabricate one, the sockets are already there if you just want to bolt one underneath. It's getting it out that could be the problem.

ebbaga - 2014-06-19 2:32 PM

Hello,

has anybody fabricated a structure to take a FIAT spare wheel carrier to fit between the front and rear wheels of a Ducato X250?

I have seen the post on this forum relating to an ALKO chassis but am interested if anybody has done anything similiar on the FIAT chassis.

I am also aware of the recall on the FIAT carriers...

I fItted mine to my previous 746 (2009), bought the wheel lift device on Ebay (was the latest Ducato fit) easy to fit as the captured retaining nuts are already fitted into the 746 chassis B-)

Billggski - 2014-06-22 7:57 PM

The carrier fits between the rear wheels. I picked up a new one, but annoyingly, although the (redesigned) carrier fits fine, the winding mechanism is fouled by the chassis extension on my Dethleffs.

There shouldn't be any need to fabricate one, the sockets are already there if you just want to bolt one underneath. It's getting it out that could be the problem.

Thats interesting, as I to have a Dethleffs ( Advantage) but the rear overhang which accommodates a very large garage meant that the original chassis fitting (at the end of the Fiat chassis) plus the extension caused problems with our payload, I fixed this by installing a modification to the second cross member and bolted the carrier to it which gave a more balanced payload

• 4 weeks later...
mentaliss - 2014-06-24 11:21 AM

I fItted mine to my previous 746 (2009), bought the wheel lift device on Ebay (was the latest Ducato fit) easy to fit as the captured retaining nuts are already fitted into the 746 chassis B-)

Thanks Mentaliss.

The chassis on your 746 must differ from my 2008 Rapido 746F as there are no captured nuts on mine. There is insufficient space to fit the spare wheel under/behind the rear axle due to waste tanks etc.

My solution was to fit a Ducato cable operated wheel carrier to the cross beam between the front and rear wheels. The spare wheel rests tightly against the beam and two close-cell foam blocks I have glued to the underside of the floor. Retrieving the spare still requires a certain amount of grovelling under the van but I guess this is the case for all underbody solutions!

This now frees up much needed space in the small MH garage.

Different companies fit the waste tanks in different places, mine won't fit where your's is because the waste tank is there. It would fit in the usual place if I can find a way of fixing the winding mechanism, at present it would come out through the rear wheel, not ideal!

Archived