Poynton Regenerated

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Long video but worth staying with as it shows what can be done to make our communities better places...And stop car dominance that has marginalised pedestrians. About time we caught up with mainland Europe with sharing schemes.

My sister lives in Poynton and drives across this shared area every working day. I've crossed it a few times.

The video is biased in favour of the scheme and raises doubts as to whether the free flowing traffic is filmed at the same time of the day as it was pre-scheme. Certainly, at peak times, traffic flow is not so good as shown on the video.

However, slowing traffic down in congested town centres is good for the the local environment and should improve the traffic flow by reducing traffic jams. My sister says opinions remain mixed, aggressive driving by those who use the road regularly is creeping back in, and the true test is when the novelty wears off. For now, she remains marginally in favour.

Me? I find it easier to negotiate in the van than the old traffic light system but then I've always driven through Poynton slowly. I wouldn't like to take a 44 ton truck through there because you really need your wits to see people appearing from all over the place! The solution is for a by-pass but the nimbies have the majority.

Guest JudgeMental
The lorry trying to negotiate around hearse trying to unload outside graveyard was a travesty..I see now they have a far more respectful parking area thanks to the scheme. Nice to see a scheme with the pedestrians as a priority for a change...

We live nearby and hate it.

a) When it snows the carriageway is covered and the kerbs are so low that it becomes impossible to tell when you are on the road, or the (slightly) raised bit. This has the potential to cause tyre damage.

b) It is a bullies charter, the aggressive domineering type of driver can (and do) push their way through.

c) At night, especially in the wet, it is difficult to see road markings and to be sure of the way to go.

d) It causes driver stress due to all the above. If every junction were to be like this, the rise in concentration needed to safely negotiate the junctions would lead to massive frustration and driver fatigue.

e) The area is not straightforward for pedestrians to negotiate and guide dogs are far from thrilled by it as are children, who find the lack of a clear unambiguous crossing signal confusing.

Without driving throu the scheme I'd not like to say on that one.

In Biggleswade there is a new area where the pavement and road have been made level and block paved so it looks like a pedestrian area, IMO it's only a matter of time before people start getting knocked down (if they haven't been already) I've driven throu it 4 times and twice pedestrians have walked straight in front of me without a glance over their shoulder, O.K. I was going slowly but not all do

I stayed at Poynton and found this system terrible! Yes it does slow down the drivers - because they have no clue how to deal with this system. Yes it works because they are few and far between. I think if every area were to introduce this schemen then it would soon become chaotic.

One impact it has had on me - I won't be visiting Poynton again.

Looks like one of those schemes designed by locals, for locals, who may well get used to it in time.

Could be confusing to strangers passing through though as it appears that all the usual controls / markings are absent.

Must give at least 5 out of 10 for trying though.

;-)

colin - 2013-02-17 5:48 PM

Without driving throu the scheme I'd not like to say on that one.

In Biggleswade there is a new area where the pavement and road have been made level and block paved so it looks like a pedestrian area, IMO it's only a matter of time before people start getting knocked down (if they haven't been already) I've driven throu it 4 times and twice pedestrians have walked straight in front of me without a glance over their shoulder, O.K. I was going slowly but not all do

I tend to steer clear of this road as well Colin utter nightmare.

Archived