Power Steering Failure on Ford Transit 08 plate

Harvey08

Has anyone else had any problems with the power steering on a transit 08 plate? Ours died last Friday. There was leakage and loss of power on the steering. I have looked on the Ford website and there appears to have been problems with the powersteering on vans up to 2006. The recall was around the time we were picking ours up. Interested to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Lucky for us it is hopefully covered by Ford as under three years old.

This is a well known problem with the earlier MK7 Transit and yes there was a recall to fix the possibility of a leak. Our van was made in September 2007 and was one of those recalled; the fix took about half an hour and has not been any problem.

See the VOSA website for details of the recall at:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=VOSA

Note that you will need to know the date that the Transit was built in order to know if your vehicle is affected.

I don't want to be alarmist BUT, The fault that you have is a very serious one, only drive it to your ford garage and if possible take a fire extinguisher with you.

I had the same fault on my 08 plate, built in Turkey sept 07 and reg july 08.

Below is the recall notice from the VOSA site.

Take care, best regards Mike

Reference : R/2007/184

Manufacturer Ref : 7C143

Make: FORD

Model : Transit

Launch Date : 08/04/2008

Numbers Involved : 51712

Build Start Date : 11/11/2005

Build End Date : 29/09/2007

Recall Details

Concern : POWER STEERING MAY FAIL WITH ENSUING RISK OF FIRE

Description : It has been established that,the high pressure connection to the power assisted steering pump could detach. Should this incur, loss of steering assistance would ensue. Additionally, hydraulic fluid could leak onto the exhaust with the attendant risk of fire.

Remedial Action : To prevent such an occurrence, recalled vehicles will have the subject power assisted steering pipe fitted with a retaining collar.

Vehicle Id :

This is another useful site that gives build date and other info re individual Transits, best to use the VIN and not the reg number -

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=41CBE33CE7FE4CEB42CB7DBF0AFD33F2.walv0598

This link was posted a while ago by another forum member, apologies, I don't remember who it was and as usual trying a "search" is a waste of time.

Thanks for all your replies. We couldn't drive it so Ford Assist (who have been brilliant!!!) sent a tow truck to collect the motorhome. Just been to see Ford, the problem was a fault in the material used to make the pipe. I checked dates, ours was built Feb 08, so not involved in recall. Looks like we have been lucky to have been at home when we had the steering failure, but all is well and should be bringing him home tomorrow.

Bazza454 - 2010-03-11 2:46 PM

This is another useful site that gives build date and other info re individual Transits, best to use the VIN and not the reg number -

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=41CBE33CE7FE4CEB42CB7DBF0AFD33F2.walv0598

ETIS is a good source of information -I have looked at it with a helpful dealer. You can register -costs €50 up front then access per hour or day is taken off your balance. Has anyone signed up to this? I wonder if it is possible to easily copy bits for my own personal use as it is currently impossible to buy a Transit Mk7 workshop manual.

Archived