Injection Warning Light

Mountain_Biker

Hi

I have had the dreaded Injection Warning Light on my Fiat Based 160 BHP motorhome. I read the manual which indicated it could still be driven so I plodded on.

I have just returned from FMS (Foregate Motor Services) in Stafford and they checked it out. Evidently there were several alarms and it may never have been 'plugged in'...5 years old and previously serviced by Fiat!!

FMS can now handle big motorhomes including MOTs.

They say that it was probably the EGC valve (exhaust gas controll valve??) and that occasionally it is good to push the engine while under load to clear out junk from the engine - up a hill drop it down a gear and run in high revs. Apparently you notice a cloud of black smoke but it clears the engines.

If you are like me, I treat my engine wil TLC, but anyway the 160 BHP engine, I don't normally need to rev it high...but apparently modern engines need to be pushed from time to time.

Anyway, it was excellent service (and a lot cheaper than other dealers I have gone to!!)

Thought you would be interested in this, I have seen several posts of the same alarm on this and other forums. The Injection warning light seems to be a catch all for several alarms!

Happy Motoring...

Hello,

The engine management light (or injection light) will illuminate if (even for a moment) something has been observed by the various systems in the engine management that could potentially have an adverse effect on the emissions of the vehicle. That is all it is intended to do. It is a non-critical warning and the manufacturer advice is to have the vehicle examined as soon as possible to avoid any undesirable effects like excessive smoke or increased fuel consumption.

In the case of X250 Fiats, if the problem is more serious (and you will probably notice the side effects anyway) there will normally also be a scrolling message like 'check engine' or 'check glow plugs' and by the time you see that sort of thing you will be well aware that you need to visit the dealer!

Nick

Please note that unlike the safety critical items like Air bag warnings and ABS malfunctions the warning light may well not come back on when next you start the engine if the error is no longer present. Safety-critical warnings will almost always have to be reset with a diagnostic tool; and not necessarily at the main dealer.

Mine has been on and off since 2007 been checked plenty of times but they say it could be anything. The last year we have had much more black smoke come out and loss of power on a regular basis, it is in the garage tomorrow not for the egc valve but the part before it (cannot rember name) as when they checked the other week as no power they said the part was corroded and recommended to try that before the EGC vale.

They cleaned the part and it has been running ok but was told best to replace it and after loosing power at a few lights decided thats best

The part is still £340 pounds around the same as getting EGC replaced

kenny - 2011-07-21 7:28 PM

Mine has been on and off since 2007 been checked plenty of times but they say it could be anything. The last year we have had much more black smoke come out and loss of power on a regular basis, it is in the garage tomorrow not for the egc valve but the part before it (cannot rember name) as when they checked the other week as no power they said the part was corroded and recommended to try that before the EGC vale.

They cleaned the part and it has been running ok but was told best to replace it and after loosing power at a few lights decided thats best

The part is still £340 pounds around the same as getting EGC replaced

Kenny,

The part that you are speaking of is the EGR control solenoid valve. It is just below the windscreen scuttle in the middle ofthe engine bay; hiding behind a metal bracket.

The test for this item is very simple. If the engine is running and is smoking badly, and running very rough, and the management light is on......

Turn engine off.

Reach behind the solenoid valve and gently remove the rubber pipe from the right hand side.

Start the engine.

If it now runs properly the problem is definitely the valve. It is ok to run the engine with the valve disconnected and it will do no harm until you can get a new one fitted. It's a very easy job and the part is nothing like £340; more like £175.

If this does not have any effect you will need the throttle body (EGR valve) replacing which is an awkward job on the 2.3 engine and the part is as you say; quite expensive. There have also been supply problems recently and if you come up with that problem tell your dealer that Iveco can get hold of them as they use the same item/same part number on Daily vans. (and they are cheaper too!)

Nick

Archived