Initial Insurance cover on imported motorhome

Caulkhead

Having imported 2 cars back into the U.K. when I returned from living overseas and not knowing the system of the U.K. I was told by my local insurance company that gave me a number to ring as supplied by DVLC.

That until an import had been registered the first time that I only had one choice, which I consider to be a rip-off.

Is this still the same system that your insurance company cannot insure your vehicle on the temporary plates or chassis number.

As the vehicle may have to go for a compliance test how do you get insurance and on what basis.

lennyhb - 2014-05-20 10:36 PM

Several companies will insure on a vin plate, Scenic for 14 days, NFU 21 days, Safeguard 30days etc., you just need to ring round.

But, IMO you will need to be able to park your van off the public road until the registration process has completed.

The new regime at DVLA is causing obvious problems and is slow. You should talk to whoever you decide in insure with, to find out what their attitude would be to maintaining the vehicle insured if DVLA take longer to complete their processes (which also involve HMRC and VOSA) than their stated limit on VIN plate cover.

My information, from some time back admittedly, is that VIN plate data cannot be entered onto the Motor Insurer's Database, and that all vehicle insurances must be so entered within 7 days of issue. I don't know how those insurers cover a gap of up to 21 days, that is their business, but it appears they are using some unofficial "fix" to be able to stall the MID for up to 30 days in total while maintaining cover. If so, they may become seriously embarrassed if DVLA cannot complete within the 30 (or whatever) days, so preventing them legalising an already overdue insurance record.

If the registration is fault free, probably OK at 30 days, but a slip anywhere on your submission will result in the whole lot being returned by post for re-submission by post, and the DVLA's clock (but not the insurance clock!) will re-start only when the re-submission gets back into their system. Just the turn around will take about a week. Good luck whatever.

Within the MotorHomeFacts set of forums is one dedicated to "Importing".

In this thread

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-35741-days0-orderasc-30.html

there are comments (posted in 2013) saying that UK insurance-providers have become increasingly unprepared to provide insurance for 'self-imported' motorhomes driven by owners to the UK while the vehicle remains un-UK-registered.

Brian Kirby - 2014-05-27 10:06 PM

lennyhb - 2014-05-20 10:36 PM

Several companies will insure on a vin plate, Scenic for 14 days, NFU 21 days, Safeguard 30days etc., you just need to ring round.

But, IMO you will need to be able to park your van off the public road until the registration process has completed.

The new regime at DVLA is causing obvious problems and is slow. You should talk to whoever you decide in insure with, to find out what their attitude would be to maintaining the vehicle insured if DVLA take longer to complete their processes (which also involve HMRC and VOSA) than their stated limit on VIN plate cover.

My information, from some time back admittedly, is that VIN plate data cannot be entered onto the Motor Insurer's Database, and that all vehicle insurances must be so entered within 7 days of issue. I don't know how those insurers cover a gap of up to 21 days, that is their business, but it appears they are using some unofficial "fix" to be able to stall the MID for up to 30 days in total while maintaining cover. If so, they may become seriously embarrassed if DVLA cannot complete within the 30 (or whatever) days, so preventing them legalising an already overdue insurance record.

If the registration is fault free, probably OK at 30 days, but a slip anywhere on your submission will result in the whole lot being returned by post for re-submission by post, and the DVLA's clock (but not the insurance clock!) will re-start only when the re-submission gets back into their system. Just the turn around will take about a week. Good luck whatever.

My vans been in the country for 31 days insurance on the VIN was for 21 days, told insurance company still waiting for DVLA their said " no problem let us know when you have a registration" they appear to be used to DVLA taking ages.

Guest JudgeMental
Yes Lenny Safeguard very relaxed about extending insurance over the 30 days......Some like to worry about nufink :D

• 1 month later...

Archived