Importing new motorhome from Europe

Caulkhead

How do I go about importing a new motorhome from a supplier in europe ?

I understand that you can normally buy a motorhome in euros direct from one of the suppliers, and that you can get 60 day temporary registration & insurance to bring a vehicle back into the uk from ADAC in Germany for instance, but is this the best way.

As it is far cheaper to buy in europe than through a dealer in the uk, because of the exchange rate for one.

Who do I have to contact first of all to start this off and where/how to find out the costs of duty etc.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

This is a large subject to try to cover on a forum.

I suggest you begin by using GOOGLE and searching on "importing motorhome" (omitting the quotation marks) as there's a good deal of advice on-line. It does need saying that some of this advice may be out of date, but it will be a start.

This leaflet should be useful

http://tinyurl.com/q8ejgje

and you can request a DVLA 'import pack' from here

https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

(You could also use this forum's "Search our Forums" facility, setting Keywords=importing and Date limit=All posts)

Guest JudgeMental

Many of us import, more of a hassle now with DVLA changes but still well worth the effort as savings significant. What van are you after, you will get better advice if you let us know.....dealer I now use does not withhold VAT, and carry out all the necessary changes to convert camper to UK spec.

You will get detractors popping up telling tales of woe regarding importing, please note they are absolutely clueless and have never done it themselves or reaped the benefits.....

This a good explanation of the process but information now out of date, but you get the idea.

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/imp :-D

If you use the Forum Search facility you will find all the info you need this is the result of a broad search.

Basics are, generally Belgium & German dealer prices are a bit lower to start with but they will give far higher discounts. It really depends on the model if it's a Carthago it won't be much cheaper than the UK maybe save a few k, if a Hymer expect to save a minimum of 10k. Just brought my new Hymer back. UK list with the same spec 76.3k, I paid just under 57.9k including UK VAT plus another 450 to get it on the road (including bringing it back).

If you buy in Germany most dealers will charge you vat and refund once UK vat paid, German export insurance is 3rd party only, UK insurers will not insure you until you are on UK soil. We buy in Belgium and the dealer drives the van to the port for us, only risk we take is in the port & on the ferry. Belgium dealer supplies us vat free but we have a history with him.

JudgeMental - 2014-05-17 8:57 AM

Many of us import, more of a hassle now with DVLA changes but still well worth the effort as savings significant. What van are you after, you will get better advice if you let us know.....

This a good explanation of the process but information now out of date, but you get the idea.

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/imp

The link you provided has been truncated and won't work. This one will

http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

(It does need saying that only a tiny percentage of UK motorcaravan buyers personally import their motorhomes and that there are potential pitfalls in doing it. I imported my Hobby in 2005 from Germany when sterling was very strong against the euro, but I'd be reluctant to do it nowadays. As lennhb points out, if the buyer drives the motorhome back to the UK, at some point during the journey the vehicle will be uninsured or only insured 3rd-party. If one wants a particular LHD new motorhome, it's worth checking with UK dealerships what they will charge to provide it. If there's a huge difference in price between the UK cost and what it would cost to purchase the vehicle abroad, then importing will be attractive. If the cost-difference is relatively small, it would be sensible to ask whether buying abroad would be worth the hassle involved.)

Guest JudgeMental

You will have a choice of paying approx 150-250 euro for export plates and temp insurance and driving back yourself, or paying approx 400-500 euro and dealer driving it on their trade plates. I always drive back myself as the risk negligible.....what is it a 4/5 hr drive to port depending where you buy van from. we usually turn it into a mini break and take 4 or 5 days to get back.

If your buying a van based camper Germany probably the best bet, but if buying a coachbuilt better to get from Belgium (prices just as competitive) as they can be more problematic and need yearly damp inspections to keep the important warranty. When we had a coachbuilt we would pop into Belgium dealer when going on summer holiday for checks.

It really is not a hassle until you get back and that manageable as long as you expect delays with DVLA process.

Last van in February, £35 easyjet flight to Dusseldorf, 12 quid for 1 hours train journey, meet at station by dealer, spent a night in the van nearby to check all working OK, next day we headed of back....simples!

Guest JudgeMental

interesting? Jeez he like the sound of his own voice....

If you have the time its an easy DIY job, why give away the discount you can save yourself by negotiating with dealers...These agents are hardly charities *-)

The links above make it seem far more complicated that it is.

It really is easy to do a personal import all you have do is:

1) Buy it

2) Get inspected by a Garage to say lights & speedo conform. (change lights & speedo dial if necessary).

3) Send form with inspection letter to VCA.

4) Pay VAT (only if a new vehicle or under 6 months old or 6000 km)

5) Register it.

Archived