Hose Pipes / Insurance

channelsocket

Hi,

I'm new to motorhomes and could do with knowing, is it essential to use a food grade hosepipe for filling water tanks ?

Also, we have just got insurance cover for our motorhome but the underwritter would not cover my partner as she has no experience of driving a larger vehicle / motorhome. Any ideas out there for training courses where you don't use your own vehicle for the course. An approved course is the only way she can gain experience for the insurers to cover her. Cheers, David

We've only ever used ordinary garden hoses. All over mainland Europe. And haven't died yet.

We use bottled water for cooking/drinking; and the water from the on-board freshwater tank for showering, washing up, and rinsing toothbrushes; and our toilet flush water comes from that tank too.

A normal hose pipe wont do you any harm but some of them do taint the water so it tastes a bit funny.

I have a 5 metre blue plastic food grade hose and a 25 metre roll out hose pipe. I try to use the food grade one where possible but when I have to use the hose pipe there is a difference in taste.

From my experience use a food grade if your going to use the water from the tank for drinking (and why would you not as thats the point of onboard water) as normal garden hose particularily cheap ones will taint your water. I tryed about 3 different ones before I concluded that there is a difference in the materials used for potable and none potable applications. For the sake of a few pounds more you may as well have peace of mind that you have the right product.

Sorry cant help you on the other question.

ips - 2013-04-03 12:52 PM

From my experience use a food grade if your going to use the water from the tank for drinking (and why would you not as thats the point of onboard water) as normal garden hose particularily cheap ones will taint your water. I tryed about 3 different ones before I concluded that there is a difference in the materials used for potable and none potable applications. For the sake of a few pounds more you may as well have peace of mind that you have the right product.

Probably good advice but I've been using my garden hose in caravans and motorhomes for over 30 years with no adverse taste.

channelsocket - 2013-04-03 12:02 PM

Also, we have just got insurance cover for our motorhome but the underwritter would not cover my partner as she has no experience of driving a larger vehicle / motorhome. Any ideas out there for training courses where you don't use your own vehicle for the course. An approved course is the only way she can gain experience for the insurers to cover her. Cheers, David

The Camping and Caravanning Club and The Caravan Club (I think) run such courses for members.

channelsocket - 2013-04-03 12:02 PM

Hi,

I'm new to motorhomes and could do with knowing, is it essential to use a food grade hosepipe for filling water tanks ?

Welcome to the forum David.

I've not heard of such a restriction before - is is a very large motorhome ?

My insurers ( Camping Club ) didn't ask me about any experience of driving a motorhome when I started.

I think that the Caravan Club do courses - but not sure if you use your own van.

Good luck.

Mike88 - 2013-04-03 1:12 PM

ips - 2013-04-03 12:52 PM

Probably good advice but I've been using my garden hose in caravans and motorhomes for over 30 years with no adverse taste.

Funny isnt it that we also used a garden hose to fill the onboard tank when we had boats and never had a problem with the taste, however we have tryed three for the van and all have had a very noticable taste to the water :-S

Regarding motorhome familiarity courses

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/expert-advice/getting-started/training-courses/motorhome-manoeuvring-courses/

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/courses/manoeuvringcourses/

Received wisdom is that a 'food grade' hose should always be used to fill a motorhome's freshwater tank. (I never have, but that doesn't mean received wisdom isn't best advice!)

Although it might be a good idea for her to get some training I've never heard of this insurance requirement before.  If it was me I would look for a different insurer......try Caravan Guard who advertise in the Caravan/Motorhome mags.  I found them very pleasant to deal with.

I agree with roger, I have been on our Van insurance for the last 7 years and not until our present one have driven it, and never been asked !! I have always stated when renewing the insurance that O.H is the main driver and I am named, but that has only been incase he is taken ill and cant for some reason drive!!

But as already been said if you go on this day course with one of the clubs it will give you confidence and that after all is all you need I think the thought of it is worse than actually doing it :-) as I have proved by getting behind the wheel of our new panel van ! I loved it and after five minuets the nerves went. Good luck.

Guest pelmetman
We use food grade hose pipe ;-)...................and last year I bought a new one.......£44 8-).............and I must of cleaned out our tank at least 3 times in the last 23 years..............whether it needs it or not :D

All the food grade pipes I've seen are (semi) transparent, it's suprising how much dirt/mould you will see inside after a few months usage.

As for the insurance requirement, I've never heard of this before, as above, how big is the van? I would think that if a driver is worried/nervous of driving a larger vehicle, then a course with expeiranced instructors would be no bad thing.

Hi David and welcome to the forum,

Another question, as you have not mentioned make or model of your new MH is, what is the Max weight (also called GVW or MTPLM) of your new MH and are you both licensed to drive it?

If it is plated at over 3,500 kg you need class C1 on your driving license, if under then your normal Class B is sufficient.

Keith.

RogerC - 2013-04-03 7:16 PM

Whilst I have added a 'sensible' reply I did at first wonder, on reading the topic title why anyone would want to insure a hose pipe........I'll get my coat....  :-)

Forget your coat ... there's a nice jacket for you ... a straight one!!! (lol)

May still be time to cancel policy and seek out a more reasonable insurerer.

Run the water through the pipe for a minute or so should clear the nasty plasticisers that cause the taint, my food grade pipe was too short so I've never used it in 15 years.

Hi David - welcome to the mad house! :-D

Hose pipe - we've never used 'food grade' hose but do use a good quality standard garden one, mainly because if you go for the cheapo ones they kink summut rotten and you end up constantly wrangling them trying to get the water to go through, often getting soaked in the process, plus they don't usually last long either! *-) Also before filling the tank we always let the water go through the hose and flush it out for about 10 seconds first - we've never had a problem and always drink from our tank although usually for hot drinks rather than cold as we prefer 'proper' drinks to just plain old water!!! :D Don't go for the type of hoses that look like 'springs' that are out there though - they are rubbish or the 'expanding' one either (can't remember it's name) - IMV you cannot beat a standard type hose for ease and speed of filling up!

Insurance

Why have they put this restriction on - what have you told them/what have they asked? I've never heard of this before except where there's been a licensing reason so I'd be interested to hear why they've done this. It would still make sense for your wife to do a course if she's not confident about driving your MH but it seems a bit OTT for the insurance company to insist on it.

Whatever type of hose is chosen (for space-saving reasons I use an elderly 10m 'layflat' hose that winds into a cassette), the materials in its construction are unlikely to cause harm. Running water through the hose for a short while to 'flush' it before filling the tank makes good sense. Even better sense is to take care that the water-source itself is not contaminated.

I always give the outlet of the tap I'll be using a quick clean before connecting my hose to it. If a tap has a hose provided for filling a fresh-water tank, I'll either remove it and use my own hose or, if removal will be difficult, I'll thoroughly clean the end-section of the hose that will be going into my motorhome's water inlet.

Not all people have hygiene high on their priority-list and it's far from unknown for a fresh-water tap to be employed for rinsing out toilet cassettes. Connecting a hose to a tap contaminated with toilet waste is a bad idea!

Tried a food grade hose once didn't make any difference, as Derek say just run some water through the hose first before filling up. Only thing I would say is use a good quality hose they are a lot easier to coil up.

Been insured with a couple of companies never been asked about the wife's driving experience.

Mike88 - 2013-04-04 10:23 AM

And don't, like me, loan your hose to a Frenchman whose first action was to bung the end into his cassette for swilling purposes.

Last time in France saw a French man with his 70 grand Rapido filing his fresh water tank from the loo flushing tap on the borne to save 2€.

Being French probably uses wine to clean his teeth. :D

lennyhb - 2013-04-04 11:39 AM

Last time in France saw a French man with his 70 grand Rapido filing his fresh water tank from the loo flushing tap on the borne to save 2€....

I would have thought that's quite common practice!

We once saw the push-button water-tap on the borne of a French aire de services being jammed open to water an adjoining vegetable garden.

However, the most intriguing 'money-saving' effort we've seen involved a motorcaravanner managing to connect a 230V hook-up cable to a power-point inside a storage hut at an aire by somehow threading the cable through a narrow slot above the top of the locked door. The motorhome, incidentally, carried a "GB" plate.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Food grade pipe, well considering we would never drink water directly from the taps, we just use a bit of hose, having seen very many questionable things happen at "fresh" water taps, "cassette rinsing anyone" in France, or here come to that.

I'd sooner buy bottled every time, than run the risk of a dose of gandhi's revenge, or fecal contamination from someone else thanks. ;-)

At the end of the day perhaps we're picky, but why risk your health, in my view onboard water to wash my feet, not to go in my gob. :D

Archived