Gas Bottles

yoko8pups

Is it legal to use a light gas bottle in a motorhome? I ask because we have several, we rely on them in our house, and it would be good to save the weight.

Im also wondering if anyone has any tips or thoughts for or against Gaslow bottles. The initial outlay is expensive and we don't want to cut a hole for refueling in our new, to us, motorhome.

Hi..

..."light gas bottle!?...

Do you mean a Calorlite cylinder..? Then yes, many use them, although they are pretty scarce at the moment....

Or do you mean a gas lantern? If so,no idea on legalities or indeed safety of using then in a confined , relatively sealed, space....why would you want to though?...

As for "gaslow"(other makes are available), it depends on how much gas you get through and whereabouts and how long you use your van for...

Those who spend months abroad touring seem to find them invaluable(although some have said that lpg filling stations aren't as common as they had hoped).

but if just "holidaying" abroad, and in the one country, it may be worth just sourcing a cylinder common to that region?(ie travel over with your UK cylinder..and just keep that as back up?).

If you use Calor and you have the room (and the payload!)then switching from a 6kg to a 13kg bottle is worth looking at, as it's only about a fiver dearer...

Obviously, if changing a gas bottle periodically isn't your thing(and a few on here are getting on a bit.. (lol) ), then a refillable cylinder may suit your requirements..... ;-)

I assume you mean a calorlite or similar, they are now standard equipment on many motorhomes. They have screw in regulators, not push on like patio gas bottles.

The refills are expensive, so Gaslow and refillable tanks are an option, but a big initial outlay. You can fit the filling nozzle inside your gas locker, but the external fitting is quite neat and easier to use.

Depends on how much you use whether it is worth it.

As far as I’m aware there are just two ‘light’ exchange-only gas bottles available in the UK. One is Calor’s “CalorLite” 6kg steel bottle and the other is the “Gaslight” translucent composite bottle in 5kg or 10kg sizes.

Both the CalorLite and Gaslight containers contain propane, a gas normally not recommended for ‘within the house’ domestic use though perfectly acceptable (even advisable) for use in a motorhome.

Thanks all, we have light bottles here in Portugal and the weight suits us fetching them from the shop as ours hold 13 kilos. In the house they last us about 2 months for cooking and hot water so I'm guessing they would last longer in the van. My worry is that they are not built to the same specifications as the metal ones. Do you think they must be for EEC regulations?

Gasflow do seem very expensive!

yoko8pups - 2015-04-15 5:14 PM

Thank you, those are exactly what we have several spares of so really no need to invest in an expensive system.

Have you actually got the “Gaslight” bottles shown in link provided by pepe63, or another make of ‘plastic’ bottle?

Now that you’ve mentioned Portugal (!!!!) I would have thought it more likely that your lightweight bottles would be the red/orange “Pluma” container that’s been available in Portugal for about 10 years and would be much more suitable for domestic use as it’s marketed for that purpose and can be obtained in a butane-gas variant.

yoko8pups - 2015-04-15 12:59 PMIs it legal to use a light gas bottle in a motorhome? I ask because we have several, we rely on them in our house, and it would be good to save the weight.Im also wondering if anyone has any tips or thoughts for or against Gaslow bottles. The initial outlay is expensive and we don't want to cut a hole for refueling in our new, to us, motorhome.
I have installed refillable gas bottles in my van and it is best thing I have done in years, much cheaper in use  easy to refill and simple to install, cutting the hole for the filler point is so simple too. just get a hole cutter  of the correct size and away you go, just check that you are not going to cut any pipes or cables before you drill, the hole cut will be in the skirt of the van anyway and not in the habitation area  so chance of water ingress.is remote, I fitted two 11 kg bottles both fill when connected to the gas pump but I only have one connected to the regulator as I did not want change over valves etc, so when the first bottle empties I just have to  remove the connection [Hand wheel ] and connect to the second  bottle and open the feed valve, I have not  had to do this in he 18 months of use of the system as the first bottle has never run out as I just top up the system as and when I see an outlet when getting diesel, I have just toured France Spain and Portugal for 4 months and gas refills were widely available, My system came from GASIT a recent addition to the market and a great company to deal with, most helpful.The complete system cost me £355 and came with three adapters for continental filling free, the system has already paid for its self in savings on gas prices.

I fitted a Gaslow system with the filler in the locker, saves cutting a hole, and in three years I've had no problems with filling in the UK and France.

Single 11kg Gaslow bottle and a 6kg Calor as standby – less than £200 for all parts and fitted by myself (checked by qualified Gas expert)

Just saying!

Archived