Fridge 12v Cooling Fan Dometic Fridge

kelly58

As we intend to go to the South of France soon I was thinking of fitting a 12v cooling fan behind the top fridge vent to pull the hot air out to help the fridge during hot weather. I did this to the Ace Airstream 680FB when we had it and picked a 12v feed from the non used 12v sat power and added a small switch so as to switch the fan on and off when required this made a great deal of difference and reduced the amount of gas we used with it being a fridge freezer.

This time I thought I would fit a Maplin temperature activated switch to the fan , but not sure where I can pick up a live 12v feed from the rear of the Dometic Fridge as I do not have a wiring diagram .  Has anyone made this fitting and if so where did you pick up the 12v power from ?.

Dunno about where to get the 12v feed from, but I totally agree about how effective these fridge-vent-fans are, in hot climates.

I've fitted them to our last 2 motorhomes as we mainly tour Spain/Portugal/France etc in warm-to-very-hot-indeed conditions.

The ones I've fitted have been the purpose-made double fan jobbies, on a bracket, with a separate little control panel, so you can select manual or automatic, and also set the temp at which the fan cuts in.

VERY impressed with it. Stuff stays frozen even in really hot ambient temperatures.

Also as we almost always are NOT on EHU, thus our large size fridge with separate freezer is running on gas; and as a bonus I've noticed that our gas bottle seems to last quite a bit longer.

The fans draw only a little 12 volt power, and as we've got solar panels, that power is being replenished immediately.

These purpose-made fans are highly recommended, and easy-peasy to self fit. Just remember to add the necessary in-line fuse.

I fitted a couple of cheap computer case type fans (about £2 - £5 each) to my last caravan didn't bother with a thermal switch just fitted a switch so I could turn them on hot days. Previous caravan I fitted a thermal switch I think manual switching works better.

Not had any problems in the Motorhome the newer fridges work much better in high ambient temperatures.

As your is a newish van I wouldn't have thought it would need additional cooling. If it is very hot always best to run the fridge on gas they work much better.

AS Bruce says if you do it pick up a feed from the leisure battery circuit, if you find a supply behind the fridge if it's large size cable it's most likely to be from the engine battery but there should be a feed from the leisure battery to the fridge electronics.

Kelly,

If you do not have a wiring diagram in the rear of your AT owners handbook then you can download one from the Sargent Electrical website Link to Sargent.

They only go up to 2009 but I don't expect the wiring colours will have changed if your AT is later.

I reckon the B/Y (Brown/Yellow) wire is the 12v feed to keep the fridge 'alive' and so, as long as it is suitable fused, should be the wire to pick up power from. That way your fans can only run when the hab' electrics are turned on.

Keith.

Take out the two fridge grilles and have a look at how it has been installed. Then, compare that to how the Dometic (I assume) manual says it should have been installed. If the fridge is properly sealed at the rear, and the clearance behind the condenser is correct to generate stack effect, the fridge should not need any supplementary cooling. I would give it a chance first and, if it struggles when very hot just remove the grilles to aid airflow. Only once you know how it performs is it worth, IMO, adding fans. Even then it is preferable, if possible, IMO, first to correct any installation defects.

Archived