Fifth Wheel Trailer Home In Europe

clareandlee

Hello,

Apologies in advance if I have chosen the wrong forum category, its only that I thought Motorhome Owners may have more of an idea of my question. We are currently motorhome owners and use a lot of French "Aires" as in the ones that supply bornes etc for dumping waste and refilling with fresh water.

We are thinking in the not too distant future of upgrading to a larger unit for more of a full-timing lifestyle. Our unit of choice would be a pickup and fifth wheel trailer, imported from the USA, which suits us better for a number of reasons. The only thing that we are concerned about is what sort of reception we are likely to get in French Aires and indeed in Campsites. I'm sure it will be a some and some sort of reception, as in some will be fine and others won't, purely on the basis of space available etc etc. I am interested to know however, if anyone has or knows of anyone who has such a unit and spends time in France and indeed Europe as a whole. (We would plan to spend more time in other European countries as well).

Any useful advice most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Clare.

Guest JudgeMental

welcome! :-D

Aires are meant to be specifically for motorhomes.....Not sure how you would get on but suspect you would be classed as a caravan?

any 5th wheeler I have looked out have been very poorly constructed. surely better of with a quality German 4 season van, built for European climate. cheaper to heat and run as more efficient and excepted anywhere........

In our motorhoming experiences here in France we have only ever seen one Fifth Wheeler on an Aire and that was near Lacanau Ocean. I have read somewhere recently that caravans are legally not allowed on Aires but where that leaves a Fiver I don't know.

JudgeMental - 2010-07-07 1:33 PM

welcome! :-D

Aires are meant to be specifically for motorhomes.....Not sure how you would get on but suspect you would be classed as a caravan?

any 5th wheeler I have looked out have been very poorly constructed. surely better of with a quality German 4 season van, built for European climate. cheaper to heat and run as more efficient and excepted anywhere........

Don't you mean that they are ACCEPTED anywhere?

JudgeMental - 2010-07-07 6:27 PM

wo art youse? the bloomin speeling police! :D

No but the meaning of "accepted" is completely different to "excepted".

Can you accept that or are you taking exception to my comment?

(Before you reply this is a feeble attempt at a subtle or perhaps not so subtle joke.)

Guest JudgeMental
Pedantic garbage more like and totally off topic, anyone with half a brain would ignore my mistake and understand the context....

It seem you are thinking clearly - hence your question.

A fifth wheeler would mean a great deal of restriction. You would, essentially be limiting your real choice of exploration and freedom to the areas around campsites that could offer a suitable pitch. Many phone calls ahead may be required.

Your journeys between campsites would have to be on fairly large roads if you want to avoid damaging your trailer / getting stuck, and any pleasant rest stops would be hard won.

Ignoring the legality of using aires you would probably be at the very least unpopular as even if you could physically fit on, you'd more than likely need two spaces.

Not wishing to offend, but I'd think it a bit ignorant if someone tipped up with such a rig and deprived another user of a spot.

If campsites adjoining major routes are OK with you, it's probably a decent way to go, if you want to make the journey itself the adventure, I'd personally rethink it.

Europe isn't quite ready for America's idea of proportion. Many very well seasoned travelling motorhomers end up with comparatively small vehicles.

Archived